1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Growler questions Sarasota/St. Petersburg

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by dphalpin, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphalpin

dphalpin Initiate (93) Jul 3, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I was hoping for a bit of local guidance here. Anyone know of a place in Sarasota/St. Petersburg that sells empty Boston Round style growlers (also called medicine bottle style or howlers)? I know that Green Bench does but I was hoping for a place that was open earlier in the day.

I think I know the answer to this already, but can you get 750 ml growlers filled in Florida? I know about the 32/128 oz law but wasn't sure if the 750s were off limits as well. I am guessing that they are but you never know.

Thanks in advance!

#1 dphalpin, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. mjmcdonough73

mjmcdonough73 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Florida

Hey man! Both ABC Wine and Spirits and Craft Beer Cellar Brandon (by Tampa) sell empty growlers in that style.

Also, you're right in that the only sizes that can be filled are 32 and 128 oz.

dphalpin likes this.
  3. joemochas

joemochas Devotee (499) Nov 1, 2008 Florida

The ABC in Orlando doesn't do that style. Only place I've seen in the St Pete / Sarasota area with that style is 3 Daughters. But I've not been to Green Bench in a long time.

[​IMG]

dphalpin likes this.
  4. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (278) Jan 6, 2010 Florida

Jdubs in Sarasota had that style. If your in the area you should stop by.

mattreitz49 and dphalpin like this.
  5. dphalpin

dphalpin Initiate (93) Jul 3, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. This helps a lot as this style of growler fits the styro shipper for the flight home. Thanks again!

I definitely will check out Jdubs, I have had their IPA and thought it was good.

6. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida

Also Mr. Beery's in Sarasota does those style of growlers.

dphalpin and rightcoast7 like this.
  7. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,655) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Society Trader

I'm fairly certain this isn't right. The Florida law only addresses containers greater than 32 ounces. There's no reason it would be illegal to fill a container of less than 32 ounces (25.4, in this case). Different places may have different policies about filling growlers that aren't theirs - I don't know how many places would do it.

Although, most places around here probably don't have a price in place for 750s, so you might end up paying for 6+ ounces of beer that doesn't fit into the growler. I don't know if that would be worth it to you or not.

Enjoy your trip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.