Growlers at Dan Murphy's

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by aussieoverlord, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

So much faux-craft hitting our growler bottles. Can't wait.

2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

You're just bitter that no sours on growler fills. Not that you have that problem :)

3. mulder1010

[​IMG]
    looking around on whole foods and the verbage they use, Dan's is almost using it word for word
    [​IMG]

4. scmorgan

scmorgan Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2005 Australia

I dunno if it will. The counter pressure concerns are puzzling to me. The whole idea of a growler is near immediate consumption, the 50ml of head space is purged of o2 on the pour, the beer is not shipping to Perth, can anyone explain why this is a concern therefore?

It is not me that is confused about it, filling machinery folks I have spoken to as part of our project scoff at the idea ...

revdrjbob likes this.
  5. mulder1010

What I know is that it keeps much longer than a week than bottom filled growlers do. Got a counter pressure growler from Perth earlier this year and it was at least 2-3 weeks old and it was brilliant. Held CO2 much better than bottom filled.

6. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,540) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

me too in for counter pressure.
    I know it was somewhat foolish - due to carbonated style - to get a squealer of Hef from Six-string on Sunday, but it was a whole lot less enjoyable that evening. A delay of 4-5 hours max from filling to drinking. Not quite flat but nearly.

7. scmorgan

Mulder, as usual you are right, but for quick consumption it would be probably 6 to some, half a dozen to another. roughly filled anything will flaten out, and the counter pressure can help with a quieter fill.

Or you do as most US guys do, and just keep wasting beer until all the foam is pushed out ...

8. mulder1010

I actually do not buy a lot of growlers. Rather just go to the venue and have it on tap. Live near Riverside so quite happy to get a growler off the tap from them on occasion
    I really do not get the whole thing of having to have 64oz/1.89 L thing. 1 L is more than enough and in a lot of ways a better deal as can finish it that night. 1.89 is a bit much to have and has heygeebe noted just not the same product the next day. Does not matter if CP or off the tap.

Have to laugh at the US part. Very true. When I bar tended at Alactraz brewing company a long time ago we were trained to pour growlers that way. Just very different costings here than there.

9. scmorgan

Yep, mate is working in dispense in the US, average bar waste is 30% ... buggar me.

Used to be about the availability of glass, was a buggar trying to get bottles with a decent seal.

10. Krankyfw

Krankyfw Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 Australia

I filled a 5l demi john for a mate using my CPBF a couple of years ago and my mate didn't touch it. Six months later I was visiting and saw the still full bottle and so I told him I wanted my bottle back. Thinking the beer would be off I opened it up and started tipping it out but after getting a whiff I grabbed a glass and tried it. Apart from the fact it was an American IPA and the dry hop goodness was all but gone the beer was perfectly good. Nothing off about it whatsoever.

If you use a CPBF properly and there is no issue with the lid the beer will last a long time. If you fill from a tap you really should drink the beer asap, beer + oxygen = not good.

If you put a piece of silicone hose over the beer tap and run it to the bottom of the growler that will help the beer last longer if not using a CPBF. It will reduce a lot of foaming too.

Lukie likes this.
  11. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Had a customer do something similar with a growler of Moylans Hop Craic IIPA. Opened it after 6 months. Same deal, hop profile was muted but was still perfectly carbonated and drinking well.

12. gulden

gulden Initiate (83) Mar 20, 2011 Australia

Had a taste of three samples on the weekend. Thought Vale rhubarb wit tasted strange and then I was told the guy had put a 'splash' of cider in the growler. Just tasted like cider. I was a little shocked - let the beer stand as a beer, not a beer/cider hybrid.
    Like the concept if the growler bar but it could be done better.

13. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

They are pouring from all 5 taps which means no flushing between fills.

14. CarlisleWineBin

Just heard from a source that Dan has been experiencing exploding growlers (literally!). Before I was worried about them taking away our point of difference, now I just worry about people's safety.....

15. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Point of difference? Dan's has fills of Plead the 5th? ;)

CarlisleWineBin likes this.
  16. foles

foles Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2007 Australia

They'll probably get them banned for everybody.

17. danieelol

danieelol Savant (955) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

that was the plan all along ;)

18. foles

foles Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2007 Australia

This is also an excuse to do "pre-fills" and reduce labour. Against the point IMO. If I get a growler I would like it filled while I am there. Otherwise may as well buy bottled beer.

19. CarlisleWineBin

Agree with you to a certain degree. Prefer to pour fresh but there is a point where pre-fills are required, especially when a keg is near empty - nothing worse than pouring a 2/3 filled growler for a customer!!

Also handy when flat out busy!

20. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Probably makes a good case for getting stuff on growlers that isn't available in bottles. One shop in Sydney often charges more for tap-fill growlers than the same volume in bottles...

21. joecast

joecast Meyvn (1,115) Jun 30, 2003 Australia

That's crap! All that will accomplish is give people who are new to craft beer another reason not to try it. Easy to link what could be seen as a gimmick like growlers (and thus the beer that's being put in it) to getting ripped off.

MrKennedy likes this.
  22. heygeebee

Beer Cartel just went Counter Pressure........

23. mulder1010

Slapping lipstick on a pig is......................

spicelab, danieelol and MrKennedy like this.
  24. heygeebee

me? i'm just sayin..... :D

25. mulder1010

So am I. Not as good as plonk I suppose. I can find brash beers on the shelves

26. spicelab

spicelab Crusader (773) Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

I heard there's a special introductory offer: $50 fills of Young Henrys

27. Kavaler

Kavaler Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Australia

On the topic of growlers and doing them properly!

TRU BRU just opened a fully dedicated tap to go store in Melbourne.

We are at 3/9 Yarra St, South Yarra
    Open Tue - Sun, 12 - 8

Have 20 taps of keg fresh beer and cider available in 3 sizes - growler, squealer and whistler.

[​IMG]

Support our business and you will see more of TRU BRU in other locations.

More info and live taplists here:
    www.twitter.com/TRUxBRU
    www.fb.com/TRUxBRU

Website is almost finished - will feature info on the concept, live menu and online shop + delivery option.
    www.trubru.com.au

28. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

I wish the term squealer would die a sudden death. Would much prefer to hear the size of the growler rather than making up terms to suit...too much confusion. Only need to look at glass sizes & names across Australian states for a good example of that

MordeciaFunk likes this.
  29. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Australia

Amen brother. It's amazing that as you move laterally across the country you have to change the way you order beer. Just how different were the people that settled each individual state? When I'm in power that will be the first thing to change!

MrKennedy likes this.
  30. scmorgan

Is my arithmetic right and 12 out of 19 beers are imports? Not enough reasonable beer in the heartland of Aussie Brewing I have to ask ...

31. CarlisleWineBin

Simple fix to that problem - just buy pints of wverything!

32. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Australia

I try to, it's just that some states don't really have them. They only serve lady pints schooners, or the pints aren't actually pints. Damn this country!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More