Growlers in Rhode Island?

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Providence, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Providence

Providence Champion (822) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Could someone explain how it works? I am confused. I was under the impression that breweries couldn't sell growlers. They used to do it at Newport Storm, but then they put an end to it. I have heard other BAs say that there are no growler sales allowed in RI.

Just a moment ago I received an e-mail alert from a local liquor store advertising that they are selling growlers from Bucket Brewery.

So confused.

Thanks in advance!

2. fineout

fineout Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Rhode Island

They can fill them and sell them at stores, but cant fill them and sell them at the brewery, from what i read is that you can have a lisence to sell on premesis and make, or distribute and make, but not both. For example, any of trinity's beers that are sold in 6 packs are actually made in connecticut, not their brewpub. which is why they can sell growlers and pints there.

3. Providence

Trader

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

4. fineout

If it's of any comfort I just spent the last hour or so doing some research and it seems RI Senate Bill 236:AN ACT RELATING TO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES -- MANUFACTURING AND WHOLESALE LICENSES (would permit holders of manufacturer's licenses to provide visitors to the licensed plant samples for off-premise consumption.) link to whole bill: http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText13/SenateText13/S0236A.pdf

has been passed by RI state senate and is now forwarded to the house. It basically says that on top of tours/tastings breweries would be able to sell "samples no larger than 72 oz. per person" so i guess only 1 growler per person but its a start and hopefully some change is coming soon!

you can subscribe to action on the bill by registering on this link here and searching for 236.
    http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/billtracker/pages/Login.aspx?pagetype=

Providence likes this.
  5. Providence

Trader

Awesome man. Information and a way to get involved, you're a true community organizer.

6. JaredKent

JaredKent Initiate (0) May 11, 2011 Rhode Island

Retail stores can sell prefilled growlers, but can't sell growlers that are being filled in the shop.

sandman3479 likes this.
  7. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Yep. that's why you see bucket, burnside, and Berkshire growlers around in stores.

8. fineout

If anyone hasn't heard i got an email yesterday saying this bill was on the governers desk for approval! So soon we will be able to get growlers of RI beers straight from the source and the breweries can get some extra cash flow. Long live RI beer!

9. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

This is great since all breweries are within 45 minutes of each other...could make for one helluva beer run !

Providence likes this.
  10. loupap

loupap Aspirant (273) Jun 21, 2008 Rhode Island

Providence, fineout and sandman3479 like this.
  11. Chaaaarlieeee

Chaaaarlieeee Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Rhode Island

That is great and all but it looks as though it limits to just one growler or 6 pack. Most times I am going to want more than that.

12. RozzieBoy

RozzieBoy Devotee (409) Apr 4, 2013 Rhode Island

This is great news. It will certainly enhance tours at our local breweries!

Newport_beerguy and Providence like this.
  13. fineout

I look at it as its better than nothing.

I'm actually a bit concerned about one part of this, will this affect the wineries around RI? Like for example, did this revoke their ability to be able to sell bottles on premesis?

14. loupap

loupap Aspirant (273) Jun 21, 2008 Rhode Island

No change @ the wineries

It also means you can get samples-to-go (375ml max) of the distilled liquids @ Sons of Liberty Spirits in South Kingstown

Pegli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.