Growlers of Barrel Aged Boris by Hoppin Frog in Ashland, KY

Discussion in 'South' started by DWatson, Mar 15, 2013.

1. DWatson

DWatson Mar 1, 2013 West Virginia

Just came from the Ashland Beverage Center. They just installed a growler system of draft craft beers. Only remember two right now- Stones Russian Imperial Stout and BA Boris. The Boris is so expensive that they sell small 16 oz growlers for those unwilling to pay for 64 oz. 16 oz growlers are 3 bucks and a fill of Boris is 16.99. 64 oz growler is 13 and a fill of Boris is 50. You can bring back clean growlers or one you already owned for refills.

I think Stones and the other two were less that 15 for 64 oz... Anyway, thought regional enthusiasts might wanna know.

2. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Those prices are outlandish. A 22 oz. bomber of BA Boris is the same price as their 16 oz. growler, and you don't have to pay for the bottle. And who charges $13 for a liquor store branded growler? Is everything in Ashland that expensive?

3. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

In regards to Hoppin Frog, I've always thought they were a little overpriced.

Hoppenheimer and Magery like this.
  4. bradfordjohnson

bradfordjohnson Jun 18, 2012 Kentucky

I think the more expensive growler I've ever bought was about a $22 fill...$50 just ain't happening. I believe I paid about $16 for a bomber of BA BORIS last year.

5. jbrana

jbrana Mar 7, 2012 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

6. DWatson

DWatson Mar 1, 2013 West Virginia

My thoughts exactly. The others weren't bad for a fill, though, when you consider it's the only place in the area with fresh craft beer.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe