Guadalupe Brewing Company (New Braunfels, TX)

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Ford, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ford

Ford Defender (679) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had my first Texas Honey Ale from them yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It certainly has a sweetness from the honey, but wasn't cloying. Something I would enjoy drinking year round, easily.

I saw them on facebook and it looks like they are starting to do sporadic tours of the factory. There is actually one today if you live in the NB area.

I'm interested in trying their Rye IPA and their Scotch Ale now.

Talking to an employee at Growlers Montrose in Houston, they should be distributing into Houston every couple of months, so you'll see it around.

I would love to see the Texas Honey Ale canned.

2. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (433) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

Texas Honey is in bombers as well as draft. The Rye IPA is very good and the Scotch is fantastic. Their other offerings are solid too.

champ103 likes this.
  3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Bombers of Honey ale just hit NB yesterday. I live 10 mins away, but I'm on single parent duty this weekend. Wish I could attend. They will be sampling Texas Honey Ale with Belgian yeast.

4. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,689) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I was really impressed with the Scotch Ale. Such a classic example of the style, and reminded me of Belhaven Wee Heavy before they got bought out by Green King.

krmkrm likes this.
  5. videofrog

videofrog Defender (641) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

A friend of mine spotted some in Kyle, but passed it up due to the poor ratings on that other site and the less than stellar ones here. A lady tried to persuade him to buy it, so he mentioned why he wasn't. She said she was the brewmaster's wife. He got embarrassed and picked up a bomber. Like others said, not bad, but I feel like it's missing something. I enjoyed the Americano Wheat and am looking forward to trying the other offerings.

6. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Disciple (376) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I fucking love their logomark:

[​IMG]

I'll have to swing by Premium Draught tonight and try their Texas Honey Ale and Scotch Ale.

E-DUBB likes this.
  7. lonestar4lunch

lonestar4lunch Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2006 Texas

Agree with champ, the scotch ale is very good..so easy to drink. Love that I can get it almost anytime at the draught house.

8. Ford

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yes, the logo is strong... now I want to try the Scotch Ale...

9. krmkrm

krmkrm Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2013 Alaska

I was lucky enough to try a one-off BBA stout from them toward the end of last year (I think it was then, but I might be way off). I got two or three pours of it every time I went to DH when it was on, just because it was better than everything else there at the time. It didn't last long with how I was nurturing it :(.

10. leoingle

leoingle Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 Texas

I have been wanting to try the Honey Ale since day 1. Finally got to try it last week. Nice slight sweetness to it. Wouldnt drink alot of it, but drinking one would be just as good as any other beer to choose from. Cant wait to try the Scotch Ale.

11. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Really? I had a taste at The Growler Room, and it was pure diacetyl. I and fond of Scotch ales and wanted to like it, but it just wasn't good. Maybe they fixed something between batches.

12. krmkrm

I've had it a few times, and haven't ever had that happen. Must have been a bad batch, yeah...

13. champ103

Beer Trader

No diacetyl for me, I can taste that a mile away, and certainly would have said so if I tasted that. Maybe keg variations, or dirty lines?

14. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Could be. I'll give it a shot elsewhere.

15. TapThat

TapThat Initiate (174) Nov 8, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm a fan of these guys. Real nice people making good beer. They just started bottling their honey ale, and won a medal for their scotch ale at the us beer open. I've heard that some sours show up at their tasting room from time to time as well.

starkmarvelo and krmkrm like this.
  16. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've seen bottles of the Scotch Ale and their 1St Anniversary Belgian Honey Ale. They should be coming out soon.

Ford likes this.
  17. cam_williams

cam_williams Initiate (168) Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Extremely nice people!

18. Ford

Subscriber Beer Trader

I like nice people who make beer... especially good beer.. and the Texas Honey Ale is good beer.

Hmm Belgian Honey Ale... this makes my spidey sense tingle.

19. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Champion (855) Jan 16, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Their Bourbon Barrel Aged Chocolate Stout they put out last year was nothing short of amazing. Maybe the best Barrel Aged dark beer ever to come out of the state. Too bad they only released like 5 kegs of it.

krmkrm likes this.
  20. krmkrm

As I said, I'm pretty confident that I drank about half a keg. I told them that I loved it, and they were very happy to hear that! I asked if they'd make more, but don't remember their response... I think it was on the side of "probably not, but maybe". Siiiigh.

21. champ103

Beer Trader

Drinking a growler of the Honey Ale now from Premium Draught. Man, this is 7%, I can't taste that at all. Seems more like in the 4-5% range. I am still undecided as to whether it takes more skill to make a higher abv beer seem small, or a smaller abv as satisfying as something higher.

Ford and krmkrm like this.
  22. krmkrm

It's so hot out. I could really go for some of that Scotch Ale right now... man. Lindsey had that on a whim, and I was just blown away by how good it was when I tried it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe