Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Guinness 200th Anniversary Export Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by zid, Oct 26, 2017.

1. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Releases include:
    • Guinness 200th Anniversary Export Stout – A deep, dark, authentic export stout with smooth, rich flavor; brewed with Black Patent Malt. (MSRP: $8.99, 6-pack)
    • Guinness Limited-Edition Mount Rushmore Cans – Classic Guinness Draught stout in limited-edition cans depicting everyone’s favorite toucans flying across the iconic American monument of Mount Rushmore from a rarely seen Guinness ad from the 1950s. (MSRP: $8.99, 8-pack)
    • Guinness 200 Years of Stout in America Mixed Pack – A collection of brews in honor of America’s love of stouts – Guinness Original, 200th Anniversary Export Stout, Antwerpen Stout and Foreign Extra Stout – all of which have been exported to the U.S. over the past 200 years. (MSRP: $21.99, 12-pack)
    Here's one article on the topic:

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a12826127/guinness-anniversary-export-stout/

@patto1ro

2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I'd be interested in the mixed pack. Interested to see how this 200th Anniversary beer compares to the normal Foreign Extra Stout.

HoppingMadMonk, LuskusDelph and drtth like this.
  3. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (179) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I'm in for any Export Stout.

LuskusDelph and TongoRad like this.
  4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,953) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

A local retailer had about 6 12-packs a week ago -- they're all gone now.
    "Normal" Foreign Extra? Or the Guinness Extra Stout that's been around for years?

Either way, I found the 200th to be less complex than either of the other Guinness beers -- would have liked one of those 12 packs to compare against the Foreign Extra since I haven't had it in a while.

Between the 200th, ES, FES, and Antwerpen -- I'll take the Antwerpen -- but I'll accept the offer of any of the others. :slight_smile:

5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Been drinking them and love it. I went back for more. This is my favorite Guinness outside the Extra Foreign (Yellow Label) Fantastic beer....

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,881) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I totally agree with this! I have no need to compare it to a Foreign Extra though, I'm familiar with it and it's nothing alike.

And to be honest, this seems a little gimmicky, just an excuse to make a new beer to keep attention on the brand. Will they be making an anniversary beer for 200 years of Guinness in Africa?

As for the Mount Rushmore cans, I might try to get and save some of them as collectors items - I heard they might take Washington and Jefferson off because they were slave owners!!! ;P

dcotom, AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  7. steveh

If they did, I wouldn't turn it down -- would you? :smiley:

I'm never a sucker for marketing, but I definitely respect it when it's well done:

8. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

The yellow label one.

Although now I'm confused by the press release saying "Guinness Original", as their official website doesn't currently list any beer with that name.
    https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-beers/

Maybe it's this beer?
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/114949/

The BA database is a maze of their various naming/labeling conventions over the years:
    https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-beers/

9. steveh

Yeah -- well, they both have yellow labels.:grin:
    Ain't that the truth.

Basically, the Guinness Stouts most readily available in the U.S. are the Draught (from tap, in cans, in widget bottle), the Extra Stout (once brewed in Canada, now imported from Ireland), and the Foreign Extra Stout -- which has been a long-time Guinness brand, but only reintroduced to the U.S. a few years back -- I really don't see this anymore, which is another reason I wanted that new mix-pack.

LuskusDelph, AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  10. ecpho

re: FES yes it was back, then it went way and I do see it again, but most places I see an incjh of dust on the 4 pack. I did recently buy the mix pack with the 2 porters, reg Guinness and FES, just for the FES (but I will try any non adjunct porter anyway)
    I plan to ick up this pack for the FES and the new export.

11. steveh

Just too many beers these days -- especially stouts without a "brand" name.

As a half Irishman with sentimental roots to pre-Micro Boom® days, I'm a sucker for Guinness' well-brewed beers.

12. ecpho

I think for most beer stores its about Bud Light and some kind of IPA, otherwise nothing else sells. And that's the modern beer drinkers doing (and the breweries pumping out more IPAs too).
    I say that as I jumped at the chance to buy a 12pk of Celebration today!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,012) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I recently spotted this pack while shopping for a party. It didn't fit in the cart at the time :wink:, but I'll be picking one up the next time I'm there. I'm a big fan of the FES, Antwerpen, and even the Porter, so this is just a natural for me.

14. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (624) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

Why don't they just effing bottle-condition Extra Stout again? One of my favourite beers ever.

LuskusDelph and steveh like this.
  15. seth27

seth27 Initiate (155) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Got a 6-pack of the 200th anniversary. I'm really liking it. Super smooth with nice subtle chocolate and roast stuff going on. I could definitely drink a few pints of it for sure.

16. rronin

rronin Initiate (187) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Can anyone tell me what the 200th Anniversary Mix pack contains?

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

[​IMG]

pro100, LuskusDelph, sharpski and 8 others like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

Meh. I still have a couple of bottles to imbibe.

19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I totally agree, the flavor is different on this one, a more pronounced roast/chocolate feel. I think its way better than the normal stuff.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (641) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I actually even dig Guinness Draught (*gasp*). Yeah yeah, it uses nitro, but it works. Would I prefer it not on nitro? Sure. But otherwise it's a decent example of a Dry Irish Stout in my opinion.

Nitro aside, I don't know what people expect from that style.

Celebration has been around since the 1980s, so it doesn't count as an IPA anymore. :wink:

Honestly, I think you could give a new craft beer drinker in the last < 5 years a Celebration Ale and some of them (especially the newer craft drinkers) may not even think it was an IPA.

ecpho likes this.
  21. steveh

I think that's the "Original" in the mixed pack -- more or less.

DonObiWan, AlcahueteJ and zid like this.
  22. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,090) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I picked up the mixed pack a couple weeks ago as I had been eyeing its release. Interested folks in the Chicagoland area should check their local Binny's as their website says it's on sale for 9.99 (normal price 15.99) which is a downright bargain imo. I've tried all save the 200th strangely enough. First time having the Antwerpen and I thought it was quite good. The FES was sublime. Such a great beer imo. For info, the Original is this beer which I believe was first offered here in the States with the Brewers Project. I'll rectify not having the 200th version yet this weekend. :wink:

steveh, AlcahueteJ, zid and 1 other person like this.
  23. rronin

rronin Initiate (187) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Thanks! Early Christmas gift for me!

24. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (641) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Wait, seriously? I've always wanted to try Guinness Draught without nitro. My dream is to try it on cask. Ideally all three in a side-by-side.

Huh, must have missed the Brewer's Project.

But that definitely looks like Guinness Draught (well, not-so draught I suppose now) without nitro.

Now I'm DEFINITELY picking this up if I see it.

Thanks for the info guys!

zid likes this.
  25. steveh

For the most part -- at least to my palate. When I first tried it from a mixed-pack a few years ago it's what I equated it to.

I also had bottled Guinness in England that was very similar and I think the beer Jaycase linked. There are too many duplicate Guinness Stouts added by members, so it's difficult to know which is really which. Even the 250th Anniversary Stout from a few years back was as mellow as Guinness Draught sans nitro.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. Foyle

Foyle Crusader (705) Sep 29, 2007 Wyoming

My goodness. My Guinness.

I will have to keep an eye out for availability of the mixed 12 pack.

27. steveh

Does the new "Original" in the newer mixed pack have that same label? I really can't recall what it looked like from the Brewers Project mixed pack, but it looks like I reviewed it in that listing. Others have reviewed under this one. Quite confusing.

28. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,815) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I saw this last week, but didn't pick any up. Will need to though, I just got the new Roddy Doyle novel. Which should go well with the mix pack...

29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Ron, do you have the same passion/preference for other breweries producing bottle conditioned versions of their brands?

Cheers!

30. Jaycase

Beer Trader

Yes, it has the same label that is in the one I linked. Same ABV too @ 4.2. Unfortunately it does seem people are reviewing it in the one you linked.

31. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Or need to re-read The Ginger Man!

champ103 likes this.
  32. steveh

FWIW -- the Binny's Beer Buzz e-mail has the 12-pack at $10.99 -- and you need to have a Binny's Card. Still a bargain, but a hassle if you don't like carrying store cards.

33. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,815) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Love The Ginger Man (the bar in Houston and book), but I prefer The Beastly Beatitude of Balthazar B, or The Destinies of Darcy Dancer Gentleman Trilogy :slight_smile:

rgordon likes this.
  34. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,017) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Say what you will about Guinness, but for a mass produced beer they're pretty damn solid. Yes there have been a few duds, but I will never hesitate to pick some up

35. Jaycase

Beer Trader

Interesting, next time I stop at one I'll check the price. Still a bargain either way as you point out. Regarding the card, no need to bring it with you as they just look up by name in the system.

36. steveh

Didn't know they would do that, good to learn -- but there are still a lot of folks who don't like signing up for cards at every store.

AlcahueteJ and Jaycase like this.
  37. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Is Foreign Extra Stout still made by blending with aged beer?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  38. patto1ro

Subscriber

I don't give a toss about other beers. Bottle-conditioned Guinness Extra Stout was an amazing beer.

Bitterbill, steveh and zid like this.
  39. patto1ro

Subscriber

No idea.

zid likes this.
  40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I've read that it is a blend in some of the markets, like in Africa, with popular local ingredients like Sorghum.

zid likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.