Guinness Launches Home Beer Tap for £750

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Nov 22, 2021.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,310) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

[​IMG]

https://www.guinness.com/en/our-craft/guinness-microdraught/

---

Guinness takes a bold new step in its long history of innovation with the launch of “GUINNESS MICRODRAUGHT”. The new cutting-edge technology will let outlets around the world serve beautiful, fresh Guinness Draught on tap, no matter their size or setup.

The secret to how GUINNESS MICRODRAUGHT produces beautiful Guinness every time is the world-first patent-pending double coaxial piercing of a unique, specially designed can. The can is filled with the very same Guinness that is kegged in St James’s Gate and poured in pubs around the world.

GUINNESS MICRODRAUGHT uses an air pump - as opposed to the gas cylinder used in the traditional system - to push the liquid out of the can and through the standard Guinness Draught spout. The result is a beautiful two-part pour with the iconic surge and settle and cold, smooth taste that makes Guinness Draught a beer loved by consumers around the world.

Two years in development, the pioneering GUINNESS MICRODRAUGHT dispense technology is the biggest technological leap for Guinness since the advent of the widget in 1988. The innovative, new GUINNESS MICRODRAUGHT system promises to enable licensed premises around the world to pour perfect Guinness Draught, no matter their size or setup.

This innovation will further enable Guinness to be enjoyed at its finest worldwide, in new places and spaces, adding 12,000 more outlets across 150 countries, so that millions more consumers across the globe may enjoy a perfect Guinness serve.

---

Links:
    https://www.marketscreener.com/quot...st-release-of-draught-tap-for-homes-37100301/
    https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-you-can-now-buy-guinness-tap-for-home-20211122
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/guinness-home-beer-tap-buy-b1962151.html

#1 M-Fox24, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,160) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I wonder if any of my local beer bars would be willing to buy this new “GUINNESS MICRODRAUGHT” thing.

Some folks might be interested in knowing that prior to 1959 beer drinkers would drink cask conditioned Guinness Stout. I would more interested in drinking a cask conditioned Guinness Stout vs. a Stout from this new gizmo but perhaps that is just me.

Cheers!

3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,183) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Oh brother. :rolling_eyes:

hudsonvalleyslim and officerbill like this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

But what are people gonna do with their GUINNESS SURGER units now?

BigIronH, dcotom, ChicagoJ and 5 others like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,183) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Imagine the milkshake beer if they adapted both devices to work together! :grin:

Squire, ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. jesskidden

Society Trader

"So thick you can eat it with a fork." (But Campbell Soup might sue 'em).

7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It's too bad that I never saw this device when they were on the market - I would have bought one. To answer your question, now maybe there will be a secondary market and I can get a used one. :+1:

This new device doesn't look like it's worth £750.

Squire, Rug, ChicagoJ and 1 other person like this.
  8. jesskidden

Society Trader

I think for it to work properly, you need special "Surger" cans of Guinness.
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, AlcahueteJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That thing must have died quickly. I've never even seen those cans. Oh well!

Squire, ChicagoJ and AlcahueteJ like this.
  10. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,030) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Me and Fiancé Raul are accepting wedding gifts :stuck_out_tongue:

Squire, Rug, FBarber and 1 other person like this.
  11. jesskidden

Society Trader

There was even an earlier version in the US, in the early 1980s, but the way the info reads, it would have been on-premise only (even tho' it was a bottled product).
    [​IMG]

12. JackHorzempa

Society

I wonder what's next from Guinness. Maybe Guinness Pastry Stout made with Irish Potatoes?

[​IMG]

Sláinte!

Squire, Rug, BigIronH and 2 others like this.
  13. jesskidden

Society Trader

Pretty sure I saw a new 6% Guinness Gingerbread Stout on the shelves (BELOW RIGHT)
    [​IMG]
    They had one last year (ABOVE LEFT), but it was 11% and aged in Bourbon barrels.

officerbill, Rug, BigIronH and 3 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you know how widely distributed the Baltimore based beers are? For example, is it just a US thing?

If Guinness Ireland/'corporate' ever decided to brew a Guinness Pastry Stout I would imagine it would be more widely available.

Cheers!

BigIronH and ChicagoJ like this.
  15. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,454) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

AlcahueteJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. jesskidden

Society Trader

Don't know - I assume Baltimore's production is US only, maybe the rest of North America, too?
    I'm not sure the rest of the world would be interested in a Guinness Pastry Stout. Heck, I'm not sure the US is, either. But I've been surprised before...

17. JackHorzempa

Society

Me too! And lately more-so a a less than desirable (for me) surprise. :slight_frown:

I suppose the old mantra of "the only constant is change" applies here!?! ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Cheers!

18. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Aspirant (294) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Seriously?
    Now they want you to buy a machine to pour a can of Guinness?
    Unnecessary.
    I still want one for my home bar though......

Squire and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (493) Sep 1, 2004 New York

750 quid seems like a lot of loot for a (single purpose) contraption that saves the owner the trouble of opening a can and pouring.

This appears to be meant for the Guinness devotee that likes the show of pouring the beer. Diageo is only too happy to give the masses what they want. Good and hard too.

Caveat Emptor.
    A fool and his money are soon parted.
    There's a sucker born every minute.

keithmurray, PapaGoose03 and Squire like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

And,

"Won't get fooled again!"

[​IMG]

21. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'd rather spend the money on beer.

readyski likes this.
  22. Squire

Society Trader

It would be easier to toss a shot of vodka into a real milkshake.

23. Squire

Society Trader

My Guinness drinking friends are sorta the opposite of light beer drinkers.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  24. Squire

Society Trader

Organic Irish Potato presumably.

25. Squire

Society Trader

I wouldn't want the temptation of having that ready supply.

26. Squire

Society Trader

I wonder how the fool got money in the first place.

27. tolar111

tolar111 Defender (653) Aug 17, 2008 New York

A new bar in my town has that Guinness Microdraught System. The unit is an automated pouring system that still requires the bartender to monitor it's progress.

I took one for the team and tried it. I thought it had the same watery taste that I find in those draught Guinness cans and it was served too cold.

This is what a pint or two of Guinness should look like

[​IMG]

#27 tolar111, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Squire, JackHorzempa, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  28. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (1,825) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

My wife picked this up for me awhile back. Pours out of 12 or 16 oz cans only. $100 from Sharper Image. It runs on batteries and you put the can inside opened and pull the handle. Sort of fun, mostly a novelty. I tried a few different beers and it seems to give the tasting experience a slight boost. I will use it more when my bro-in-laws come over for the holidays.

[​IMG]

Squire, Bigrock, PapaGoose03 and 6 others like this.
  29. officerbill

officerbill Champion (864) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

The 6% gingerbread stout is in my Wegmans
    Do you remember the price in relation to regular draft?
    There's going to be some savings in not having to run a separate tap, but a keg's worth of the special cans has to cost more than a keg.

Rug, JackHorzempa and tolar111 like this.
  30. jesskidden

Society Trader

Wha!? You coulda bought one hundred Keggies for that kinda money (well, I guess fewer, given inflation over the past 70 years or so.)
    [​IMG]

31. tolar111

tolar111 Defender (653) Aug 17, 2008 New York

I really have no idea, I had a Fiddlehead IPA draft and a Guinness that day. The place is kind
    of high end, so I know it wasn't cheap. I think the going rate for a Guinness draft is $7
    or so. I'm not sure who they're marketing that micro draft system to since Guinness is
    available on draft pretty much everywhere. I see bars with the dedicated on the bar tap and
    I also see the Guinness tap incorporated into the regular tap system so I don't see what the big deal is.

officerbill likes this.
  32. JackHorzempa

Society

No specific mention/description but they think there are potentially 12,000 customers for this gizmo:

"This innovation will further enable Guinness to be enjoyed at its finest worldwide, in new places and spaces, adding 12,000 more outlets across 150 countries,..."

Cheers!

PapaGoose03, officerbill and tolar111 like this.
  33. medb

medb Initiate (67) Aug 27, 2013 California

At this stage they should just rename themselves Guimmicks.

Squire likes this.
  34. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (504) Feb 2, 2015 New York

What's wrong with the widget technique? The beer using this thing (I won't call it a gizmo: see below) would taste like the widget-powered canned "draft". Actually Guinness did bottle beer with nitrogen pressure but without widget in the past. One quiet night y-e-a-r-s ago, my wife and I went into a bar in Yaphank, NY. They had this bottled Guinness that they opened, set into an ultrasonic device called the Gizmo, and ran the device about 30 seconds to release the nitrogen, and poured into a glass. The ultrasonic was similar to a laboratory cleaning device I had in my lab at work. Guinness management can't resist inventing another method to deliver nitrogen-infused stout.

Rug likes this.
  35. JackHorzempa

Society

"I would more interested in drinking a cask conditioned Guinness Stout vs. a Stout from this new gizmo but perhaps that is just me."

If you prefer the widget/nitro, your choice.

Cheers!

36. moodenba

Inherited?

Squire likes this.
  37. moodenba

Drinking a cask conditioned Guinness is not an achievable goal. I would prefer a cask domestic or imported stout to a Guinness. But Guinness's moderate alcohol content makes it a useful option when out on the town.

38. jesskidden

Society Trader

Mentioned above next to the ad for Guinness Cream Stout, in a clipping from The Boston Globe, in Ireland there was yet another method for faux Guinness Draught.
    ---Giving Guinness a head with a syringe. How it used to be done.

Supposedly, it was more complicated than simply hand pulled from a cask:
    ---Yenne, Guinness - The 250-Year Quest for the Perfect Pint

UK beer writers, Boak and Bailey, have more info at Draught Guinness 1958: Two Casks, One Tap

The creation of the "nitrogenated" system and of the different recipe of Guinness Draught (which apparently initially replaced Guinness Porter common found on tap in Ireland at one time) was driven by a desire for increased keg sales by the company. Guinness spokesman, Fergal Murray is quoted; "It took 20 years before Guinness Draught overtook sales of Guinness Extra Stout in volume terms in the Republic of Ireland."

The short-lived US Guinness brewery of the late 40s-early 50s in Long Island City, NY, kegged their version of Guinness Extra Stout and, one assumes, it was simply a standard carbonated version able to be sold in US bars with no additional equipment needed.
    [​IMG]
    Kegs of nitrogenated Irish-brewed Guinness Draught made it to the US by the mid-60s, but it was a relatively rare product (esp. compared to today). As late as 1979, according to Guinness-Harp Corp.'s (their US importing subsidiary) statements, the US market accounted for only 1% of worldwide sales of the various Guinness stouts, and half of that was sold in the NYC area. Total US imports were around 55,000 bbl. in 1976. Only 33 bars in the NYC served Guinness Draught on tap, with 18 of them in Manhattan alone.

39. Squire

Society Trader

That's the kind of gizmo my brother in law would like for Christmas.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  40. Squire

Society Trader

Probably third generation.