Guns N' Roses is taking Oskar Blues to court over Guns 'N' Rosé ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 10, 2019.

1. rugene

rugene Initiate (168) Mar 2, 2015 Quebec (Canada)

The band must be on the verge of releasing a compilation of crap songs, they knew how to get publicity, they're going for it.

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (370) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

It was just a matter of time before a "get off my lawn"er was going to chime in on how young people don't know good music.

3. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (325) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I was responding to your comment about Singlecut, not the GnR beer.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  4. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (325) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

...Like GnR. You know, the pantheon of 20th century music, it pretty much goes Stravinsky, Charles Mingus, and then Guns and Roses.

#44 oldbean, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  5. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,794) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Yup...thought it was taking too long for that argument to emerge.

6. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (129) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Christ I can remember when GnR was the crap music acting as the example of how "the kids don't know nuthin bout muh good music!" Now it's "old" so it's immmortally good and a vital piece of the overall cultural cannon. Lol time does funny things.

Dragginballs76, DIM, stevepat and 2 others like this.
  7. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (285) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

NEIPAs are probably headed down that same road.:nerd:

meanmutt and Number1Framer like this.
  8. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Aspirant (222) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Society

In a sane world, if the beer isn't called "Guns-n-Roses", the suit should've been immediately thrown out.

But then again, I don't think government should be enforcing the sanctity of immaterial concepts anyway, that's religion.

sharpski and Number1Framer like this.
  9. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (218) Mar 27, 2018 California
    Trader

Yeah, Mikkeller SD has a lot of them -
    Belma & Jarrylouise
    Hazed & Amused
    Gran'Ma's Boi
    Juice Bigalow
    Mikkel Jackson
    Misty Elliott
    Murk Tyson

Hey, let's everyone sue everyone!

I agree with some others here that many of these examples are nods to things that the breweries like. It's not like Oskar Blues was poking fun at Guns and Roses. Maybe it was a tribute to them.

Now, if they named it "Guns and Roses", I feel this might be more of a clear and cut case, but they didn't.

10. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (365) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Close one here.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

But whether one likes GNR or not it cannot be argued that they were wildly popular, successful, and are now an important part of U.S. musical history.

12. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,339) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You’re telling me you don’t like Sweet Child of Mine OR Don’t Stop Believin?

What’s wrong with you man?????

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,596) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

14. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (708) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Exactly that

Enjoy

15. zid

zid Meyvn (1,284) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I don't have a blanket rule regarding stuff like this. Singlecut doesn't bother me. You'd have to be really in the know to even get many of their references. Calling a beer Guns 'N' Rose is related but different.. and it doesn't bother me to the point that I wouldn't buy it out of principle (if I wanted that beer, I'd get it), but I'd also side with the musical business entity if they wanted to squash it.

Bitterbill and dcotom like this.
  16. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (2,048) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

He would have been really lucky if none of the band showed up.

17. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (2,048) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

Way off topic
    HOF induction, these days is by and large due to record sales. Hell this year Janet Jackson and Stevie Nicks (solo)were inducted. And suckass metal band DefLeppard. How the fuck is DL and aband like GNR with 1 or 2 hit album and a bunch of garbage now in. While arguably the two greatest metal bands of all time are not. Maiden and Priest.

I do support gnrs stance on this.

18. BeastOfTheNortheast

Idc who gets inducted into the HOF. But IMO, GnR is not a good music. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Pink Floyd? Ya, they are the greats.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  19. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (241) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

There may be some bad bands in the HOF, but Journey isn't one of them. I saw Journey in concert at Heidelberg in 1980, they were great (and had a fun video game to boot).

20. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (448) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Didn’t read the whole thread, but let me be the first to mention GnR sucks... completely irrelevant.

The amount of BS, lowest common denominator garbage our society laps up is really sad honestly.

21. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,133) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

The amount of posts here discussing the musical merit of Guns N Roses, as opposed to the lawsuit, is starting to get annoying.

Gentlemen:

1) Whether you like the music has no bearing on the validity of the lawsuit.
    2) Whether you like the music has no bearing on it being objectively good, bad, or sucky. It's called an opinion. If you think your dislike for anything inherently means that other people shouldn't like it, either .... well, Bud Light has a 1.86 rating here, so maybe you're on to something, after all. :wink:
    3) There is an entire forum for Off-Topic discussions. Maybe start a thread on, "Bands I don't think should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (and my opinion is the only one that matters in determining this!)"?

Please, try to stick a little closer to the topic. We're all guilty from time to time, but more than half of the posts on this page don't even mention the lawsuit or beer in any way.

Cheers!

22. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,672) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

FWIW, couldn't find this beer on the Oskar Blues website yesterday

p.s..Motorhead Rule!

23. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,692) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Bitterbill and Roguer like this.
  24. BeastOfTheNortheast

Heard Sweet Child O Mine the other day and it made me think that there's no way this beer is any worse than the band. No way OB deserves to get sued.

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,819) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Seems like OB marketing made a mistake that really can’t be made, we live in a litigious society and it was guaranteed there would be legal action taken. That was certainly blatant, so much so makes you wonder if it was intentional, like perhaps the publicity was worth the trouble somehow.