Hailstorm Brewing Co-Owner Removed Following Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by HouseofWortship, Dec 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looks like Hailstorm Brewing Co. had an unexpected drop:
    https://www.guysdrinkingbeer.com/hailstorm-co-owner-removed-following-sexual-misconduct-allegations/
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...after-sexual-misconduct-allegation/ar-AARxcjP

ChicagoJ and Beer_Economicus like this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Seems important to note here that the allegations were confirmed by none other than the perpetrator, so they are not really "allegations" at this point.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,009) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Icky all around. Who is Jared and what's the story on Moody Tongue?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  4. kodt

kodt Defender (665) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Jared Rouben, head brewer/owner of Moody Tongue, formerly brewed for Goose Clybourn IIRC.

He has been accused of rape, dropping n-bombs in regards to Black employees, and creating an all around terrible/toxic work environment at Moody Tongue.

5. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

WHOA - I had not heard this before ...

ktr5010 and GuyFawkes like this.
  6. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (174) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

Extremely gross that ol’ Steve’s defense to sexual assault was that he “misread the fun” of the group, thereby implying some nights the group would be ok with such a thing? Or is he instead saying that he misread that he could get away with sexual assault without the girl being upset?

Either way, a terrible defense and then to claim the victim when others comparing his unwanted sexual assault to someone else’s unwanted sexual assault and rape is just unbelievably out of touch.

To hell with Steve. I hope he gets what’s coming from his wife and maybe he’ll have some more time to think about “misreading the fun” when she leaves him and takes the kids.

7. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (162) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Fuck this guy. He should be in prison. What a monumental piece of shit.

"Misread the fun our group was having." Nice excuse for sexual assault you dimwitted jerkoff. And you're married with kids on top of it? Some people just don't deserve the life they're given, or the air we breathe.

#7 ChiPez66, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  8. ChiPez66

Trader

His wife? He admitted to sexual assault. He should be in prison. He should be charged yesterday. I hope he gets what's coming from the police. I really hope she presses charges. Sexual predators have no place in society.

P739397 likes this.
  9. kodt

Trader

I’m pretty sure no charges were filed. Same with the Jared Rouben case, it was a fellow industry person who knew him and AFAIK she didn’t want to press charges and just wanted to move on.

10. ktr5010

ktr5010 Aspirant (252) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

What a monumental piece of shit. Hope he gets whatever he deserves. "Misreading" the situation and doing what he did are not the same.

Beer_Economicus, ChiPez66 and DeadWax like this.
  11. ChiPez66

Trader

This is unfortunate. Now he'll get to do it to someone else. And then someone else. And then someone else. Just wrecking lives one person at a time.

12. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (156) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

He felt comfortable doing this in-front of the woman’s uncle? He put his hands in her pants? I don’t get it.

13. DeadWax

Yes, his wife leaving, taking all his remaining money in divorce and losing his kids would be a great start for punishment. Won’t be mutually exclusive of the justice system or a civil suit for the criminal act either! But I also posted knowing the assault happened months ago and if there were going to be charges with all those witnesses, it would have happened already.

While we can be disappointed in the victim’s reticence to prosecute (as many sexual assault survivors are), the fact that this took months to become public means there are a bunch of people in the industry (is that Gerrit from Pipeworks that is named at the end of the first message?) who knew about this and allowed it to stay quiet all this time.

While I’m sure that part of it is trying to respect the victim to move on, to your point about enabling Miller to remain in a predator power position, the long silence and inaction to allow Miller cover is very disappointing and emblematic of the misogynistic culture that is allowed to exist in brewery culture at some places.

If any good can come from this I hope consumers are outraged with their wallets and these gross shitty places fail so the rejection of this sort of behavior becomes industry wide.

core42, stmoorea and ChiPez66 like this.
  14. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (957) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I'm glad we live in the society we do today, where these things can actually come out and get the attention they deserve. Fuck that guy. No one should ever have to deal with such nonsense. It's crazy to think anything less than jail is acceptable.

When someone is found guilty, I'm still a fan of putting the punishment in the hand of the Victim. Fuck prison, let her cut off his hand(s).

15. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Once something like these events happen at a brewery, it is hard for them to become untainted (even when the violating employee is gone). When I see Halestorm and Moody Tongue, I will think of these stories.

#15 JohnnyHopps, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    ChiPez66, stmoorea, ktr5010 and 3 others like this.
  16. ktr5010

ktr5010 Aspirant (252) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Not that I've had either recently (Moody Tongue stuff was pretty meh to bad from what I remember and haven't had Hailstorm in a bit either) but it just adds to the growing list of breweries (Founders, Mikkeller, BrewDog, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others which is saying something) that have had people in positions of power abuse their power in disgusting ways. The craft beer scene is way to crowded for even the slightest case of inappropriate, criminal, or otherwise shitty behavior to not affect what I buy.

ChiPez66, core42, SeanBond and 4 others like this.
  17. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,137) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'm blanking on the specifics, but I believe a woman's IG account went viral because she started sharing people's (women's, mostly) experiences with harassment in the industry, and someone mentioned Jared and someone else at MT. I remember this because I tried pretty hard to track down the accusations since I really liked MT before they relocated. Not the easiest info to find, but it seemed pretty damning. Related:
    Before this sort of stuff really started gaining traction in the industry, I was already trying to support smaller, more local places because of how much good beer we're blessed with around here, and seemingly unending bad behavior by some of these breweries is just making it so much easier.

(I really liked MT's BA stuff to be fair to them, but again, Chicago is lacking anything but good BA options)

18. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

It must have been in Ratmagnet's stuff then - there was so much there it was overwhelming and frankly I lost track of a lot of the places implicated.

core42, Beer_Economicus and SeanBond like this.
  19. SeanBond

Trader

Yeah there we go, that's who it was. It was overwhelming, I think I saw someone mention it on FB first, or I wouldn't have known to go back and look (it could also just have been mentioned on FB itself).

GuyFawkes likes this.
  20. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Updates:

Statement from Hailstorm posted to Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/HailstormBrewingCo/posts/4788253774560311

Also, apparently he was on the board of the Illinois Craft Brewers Guild - they released this statement:
    That statement comes from the updated article in the OP's post.

21. monstershu

monstershu Initiate (80) Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

I swear I am not losing the point or blaming alcohol for his actions, but:

Can you imagine being a representative of the company you have ownership in and being this incredibly drunk at an industry event? Just mind boggling to be around your own employees and be, of your own admission "all fucked up". Insanity. I would never, ever, be even remotely close to being intoxicated around anyone I work with.

Did the industry learn NOTHING from Greg Hall? For fucks sake...

22. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

maximum12 likes this.
  23. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,559) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

csmakio and ChicagoJ like this.
  24. P739397

P739397 Initiate (110) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

That kind of drunkenness by owners at brewery events is not uncommon, at all.

25. kodt

Trader

Yeah, Mike Pallen was actually the head brewer there for a time, and he brewed his beers out of that location as well. Then IIRC they both moved in with Un Anne when they were still in Chicago.

ChicagoJ and GuyFawkes like this.
  26. monstershu

monstershu Initiate (80) Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Oh, I know. A lot of these owners have no innate sense on how to moderate their behavior or how to actually run a small business and manage risk. What a moron.

core42 and SeanBond like this.
  27. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (212) Nov 11, 2014 Arizona
    Trader

28. SeanBond

Trader

Yeah, it's basically this. Everybody feels a little looser with some alcohol in their system, but at some point (especially if you're a/THE boss), you have to know when to cut yourself off, or make the decision not to drink, if you're going to drunkenly do things that you or others won't approve of.

As someone who enjoys drinking quite a bit, I don't envy anyone being in the position to have to make that call, but ya gotta do it.

29. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,684) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

So many quotes with a hindsight focus in that article.

core42 and DeadWax like this.
  30. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

This whole situation is a powder keg.

31. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Does anyone fault Hailstorm? I don’t. The guy was a brewer they gave an ownership stake to for his work in the company(good for Hailstorm for taking care of an employee like that until he abused their trust). He fucked up and they let him go. Pretty straight forward business move. Don’t think it reflects bad on Hailstorm at all- wasn’t like the founder did it and was still an active owner.

32. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It’s not that I fault Hailstorm for the behavior of this guy. In fact they appear to have addressed the situation pretty swiftly. But something like this just brings about a certain stank that Hailstorm is gonna have to bear for a while.

33. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (177) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

the OG Pale Pauper day was probably the best event I've ever been to.

More on topic..sadly, I would contend that there is a not so small percentage of brewers / owners are still just frat boys / man children.they just have money now. Mix a level of douche baggery and unlimited booze, it is awful yet not shocking these stories come up.

34. DeadWax

Only if you believe that no one at Hailstorm knew anything since August. Otherwise Hailstorm didn’t fire him now for the offense itself, but fired him because the incident finally came to public light three months later.

Jinx989, JohnnyHopps, galos11 and 2 others like this.
  35. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Poo-Bah (1,904) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

FTFY

36. DeadWax

Yeah, I stand by my original statement. If anyone associated with that brewery knew about it and didn’t tell the owners, that is just as bad when we are talking about toxic culture.

37. Todd

Todd Founder (6,714) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

38. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I think we are slowly realizing why society left it to the monks to brew beer for hundreds of years..

39. randjuke

randjuke Initiate (177) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I think the mental health issues he has complicate judging him to an extent. Anxiety and depression are illnesses as is alcoholism, and plenty of people self-treat their anxiety and depression with alcohol. So Miller could conceivably come back and say he has these illnesses and is impaired by them, which led to his behavior. In the article he says he thinks about suicide every day, so obviously his depression is not well controlled.

He absolutely should have been fired regardless of his underlying issues. Hailstorm can't accept that behavior whatever the cause, But often there's a thin line between somebody being truly impaired and somebody just acting like a jerk.

40. DeadWax

I’m sorry but I have been “truly impaired” dozens of times over the last 20 years I have been of drinking age and not once ever has it crossed my mind to put my hands down a woman’s pants in public, let alone without her consent, or otherwise sexually assault someone. Whatever else was already in that guy’s head, he was always capable of this and the booze lowered his inhibitions to carry it out.

morimech, flurker, stmoorea and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.