Hair of the Dog

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by cappy201, Aug 7, 2017.

1. cappy201

cappy201 Initiate (112) Mar 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

My friend is visiting Portland in 10 days. I told him to make sure to visit HOTD brewery.

Are there any bottles that can be purchased at the brewery, or elsewhere around town, to bring home to Boston?

Thanks for any tips!

2. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Aspirant (263) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

When I was there last month, they had several options to go, including Matt and Cherry Adam–in addition to vintage Doggie Claws, which they had many years of, and which is probably gone.

Believe there were some large format bottles, too.

Someone local can probably give you a better update.

cappy201 likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,315) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Moderator Society Trader

IMHO, the best solution is to call the tasting room. At some point, Alan discontinues off premise sales, I think based on bottle count (when it reaches a certain point, he restricts sales to on premise purchases only). That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if there were still bottles of Matt and CAFTW to go, as I believe both of the last batches were "still." Regardless of what Alan has to say about the quality of the product when it doesn't have carbonation, the fact is that sales always slow down when the beer is still (even though he also drops the price). If memory serves, I think there were some problems with the last bottled batch of Doggie Claws as well (which likely has also slowed down sales).

JouerAvecLeFeu and cappy201 like this.
  4. derftron

derftron Disciple (332) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

I was there last week. Still tons of vintage Doggie Claws (going back over 10+ years) available to-go. also, new Cherry Adam from the Wood and Matt (both of which I do not like as much as previous years). The 2013 Matt which you can drink on premise remains one of my all time favorite beers.

Regular Fred and Adam are available all over town. Maja can be bought at a few different Market of Choice in Portland but not at the brewery

cappy201 likes this.
  5. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Aspirant (217) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Side by Side is still available as of Thursday when I was there and it is fantastic. Didn't appear to be any shortage, though some of it is packaged in their swing top growlers for $85 because they ran out of 12oz bottles.... (Full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of Shiga Kogen, which may influence my perception of the beer.)

bostonwolf and distantmantra like this.
  6. derftron

In case you guys are interested....

7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,898) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

WUT?

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  8. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,121) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

"Saxer Doppelbock '97, SN Bigfoot '14, Guldenberg '04, Scaldis Noel '04"

Does this make the beer a collaboration cuvee with the other breweries' blessings, or is it more like "selected HotD beers plus the dregs from a bottle share Alan attended"?

9. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,016) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I've never seen HotD Jim outside of the Holiday Ale Fest, but I guess it makes sense they'd have it on tap there.

muchloveforhops3 and beertunes like this.
  10. vurt

Society

This looks pretty standard for the versions of Jim I've tried: a blend of HotD beers, then a bunch of other beers which strike me as random but might actually have some logic behind them. Maybe they have to be beers which Jim Kennedy distributed? I don't know.

Here are some details on previous years' blends:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/39867/
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/46325/
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173/54385/

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,898) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

How has this beer escaped my notice until now? What has the general opinion of past varients been?

12. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm excited to try this. Have enjoyed all previous incarnations of Jim, and just assumed I'd never see it again. I think they stopped pouring previous versions at the HAF several years ago now.

NWer likes this.
  13. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (310) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I got to try some of that 97 Saxer at Fred Fest a couple years back. It was slightly oxidized, but otherwise held up shockingly well for being almost 20 years old at the time. I'm curious to try this and see what (if any) character it imparted on the final blend.

vurt and beertunes like this.
  14. derftron

Had a glass last night.

Either blending beers is really easy, or Alan is a master. Because having that many beers come together and taste like a focused/purposeful beer is quite something.

Big, boozy, and deeply complex. This one seemed darker and thicker than previous versions of Jim that I have had, but it has been a while and I could be wrong.

highly rec'd

sharpski likes this.
  15. NWer

NWer Crusader (772) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

I thoroughly enjoyed Jim 2009 at the HAF last year. Can't wait to see Jim again this year. It was so much older then it's younger than that now.

#15 NWer, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    beertunes likes this.
  16. anteater

anteater Champion (807) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Best HotD beer I've had in a long while. And hey, it was probably my 150th time drinking there and they even asked if I've been in before.

17. shelby415

shelby415 Champion (826) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon

This thread makes me happy and sad. Happy that Jim is back, sad that apparently the '09 version made an appearance last year and I didn't get any.

I remember posting up with Jim 2009 back at the 09 HAF and I absolutely loved it. Overindulged in it, actually. I remember the piney-ness especially. Can anyone speak to whether or not this is anything like that iteration? Obviously the blended beers are quite different but I'm curious what the blend is like flavor-wise.

18. NWer

Yeah. It made a brief appearance last year at the HAF. They posted that it was their last keg and I was lucky enough to be there at the time. I also had the 2008 at an event at HotD in 2013. Very excited it's making a return visit. See? I remember some things :slight_smile:

beertunes, vurt and jpbebeau like this.
  19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

It's been a few years, and my memory is also not the greatest. I was actually able to try all the previous Jim iterations, with the exception of the 06. The beers were all similar, but also quite different, as I recall. They were all pretty unique beers, which is what sticks out in my mind.

For whatever it's worth, I do plan to head over to HOTD today, and I'll post my impressions of the new beer.

20. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Just stopped by.

A bit sweet (the Scaldis Noel seemed to dominate the flavor profile), but otherwise, a very tasty beer. The blue dot and big foot helped to provide a nice level of hoppy bitterness that seemed to balance and counter the huge malt bill and sweetness in this beer. $10 a pop (for a 12 ounce glass) is a bit high, but this is an excellent and very special beer. I'd definitely order it again (the 11% abv. really sneaks up on you), but probably not at one sitting.

Hard to say for sure, but I can see how this might eventually develop into the versions I tried at HAF in the past. If I recall correctly, prior versions had a distinct holly and pine flavor, which at present I'm not picking up in the current version. They weren't nearly as sweet as the current version either, though I can see how in time the sweetness level might dissipate a bit.

vurt, beertunes and NWer like this.
  21. NWer

Thanks for sharing your impressions John. Hoping it sticks around for a couple of weeks.

vurt and beertunes like this.
  22. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (55) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

Had "Jim" yesterday at Brouwers; holy crap it's fantastic.

23. NWer

Damn. I knew there was something I was forgetting to do when I was in PDX last weekend. #sad

beertunes likes this.
  24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

:sunglasses: And who's fault is that? You clearly didn't plan enough time down here (you really should have stayed that extra day you were thinking about), and now you simply have no alternative but to schedule another trip in the very near future.

Next time you can include both HOTD and Arch Bridge in the trip.:sunglasses:

#24 John_M, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    vurt, beertunes and NWer like this.
  25. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (350) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Brouwer's Big Wood is calling you.

Texwild, beertunes and NWer like this.
  26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Looks like they just did a bottle release of Cherry Fred (it's on tap as well). Price is $10 a bottle and/or $240 for a case (to go or on premise). Am told the carbonation is very low in this beer, which I assume explains the relatively inexpensive price tag. They also have a new imperial oatmeal stout I haven't seen before as well (on tap only I think).

NWer likes this.
  27. davey

davey Aspirant (205) Aug 18, 2006 Oregon
    Trader

I had a bottle of the cherry Fred yesterday, and it’s flatter than a pancake. It says on the bottle that it has no carbonation so that the cherry can stand out. Still, a solid beer though. The Cherry Adam on tap did have some carbonation, and was killer.

JouerAvecLeFeu likes this.
  28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Wendy mentioned that the Cherry Adam had just kicked when I stopped by yesterday afternoon (unfortunately).

That's interesting what it says on the label of the CF. I tried the beer on tap and it was pretty close to flat as well (some carbonation I guess, but not much). Usually, no matter how flat the bottle is, when I get it on tap, it's always well carbed. Have to think the low carbonation on draft must be intentional.

JouerAvecLeFeu likes this.
  29. derftron

i tried it yesterday as well. didnt much care for it. Jim was still pouring and was fantastic as usual

also got a glass of regular ol' Adam. After all this time, I still love that beer. so unique

30. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (380) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Gonna be out that way on Sunday for work. Really hoping Jim lasts that long.

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Can't make any promises of course, but the beer has been on for a while now. I'd be surprised if the beer isn't still available this Sunday.

I'm a fan of the beer as well, and the last time I was at the tasting room (not quite a week ago), the bartender made no mention of it going toes up any time soon (I'm fairly good friends with her, and she typically gives an update on anything that's about to kick).

Good luck and have fun!

32. derftron

Green Dot anyone???

Just saw that Alan has conjured up a triple IPA called Green Dot. 9.5% ABV

will be on tap sometime in the next week or so

33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Naturally, I'll need to run over and try it, but given what's happened to Blue Dot over the past few years, I don't know how optimistic I am this is going to be anything but another disappointment.

stevesbeer and NWer like this.
  34. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (173) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Is Blue Dot still being made? Also, when was the last time it was really good? I remember it being my favorite beer in 2010, but have had many terrible bottles since then. Pretty much gave up on it a few years ago and haven’t seen it Spokane for a while.

stevesbeer and NWer like this.
  35. NWer

2010 is about right. I like their barrel ageing program bubbles or no bubbles but I've totally given up on their IPA's.

36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The last time I had a great glass of Blue Dot was probably back in 13 or 14. Even then, batch consistency was a huge problem. 2010 likely was the last year when you could count on Blue Dot being consistently good.

Yes, Blue Dot is still being made and they still bottle it. I haven't ordered a glass in close to two years now. The last 4 or 5 times I tried it, the beer wasn't very good, and I've pretty much given up on expecting it to be any more. What's amazing, is that the beer still seems to sell fairly well in the tasting room, and I still hear people praising it on occasion.

I used to order a glass of Blue Dot every time I went to the tasting room (at one time, I thought it the best IPA/DIPA on the planet). Like Larry, I've pretty much given up ordering IPA's made by HOTD. However, if only for old times sake, I intend to try the green dot when it comes out.

NWer and beertunes like this.
  37. derftron

Yeah Blue Dot isn’t good anymore. The BA stuff, Fred, Adam are all still great. I also really like Lila, Ruth, and a doggie claws.

Red Dot which was blue dot mixed with Michael(?) I think, was excellent.

Green Dot on tap today. I’ll give it a whirl for science

NWer and stevesbeer like this.
  38. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Good to know. Maybe I'll see you there. :sunglasses:

39. derftron

ill be there later on. currently at Block 14 in Corvallis. Just bought a bottle of their anniversary sour Ripple. staff says its excellent......... we shall see

40. vurt

Society

Flanders Red mixed with IIPA? I'm having trouble imagining what that would taste like, and how it would be good.

But hey, I've been wrong plenty of times.

NWer and beertunes like this.