Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Half Acre: Big Hugs Release

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Mjmoser, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foobula

foobula Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

2. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

We got there at 11:15, and waited about 20 minutes drinking about $25 worth of free beer and free Dark Matter espresso, eating $15 worth of free beef nachos with ghost pepper hot sauce... There is no earthly way I could complain about the way Ha ran their lines. Also, their employees or volunteers were smiley friendly, for those who cry when not hugged and smooched.

This year's tastes less intensely coffee and perhaps a little more of a thinner, drier mouth feel, though not to the detriment of the experience. Definitely not as sweet as many other imperial stouts you'd have had many times over... Nice beer.

foobula likes this.
  3. Durb777

Durb777 Nov 30, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I picked up mine today at noon and they had plenty left. For anyone who was wondering.

4. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Me too. They had an entire cooler full and probably more in back. For those interested, they still had the holiday snifters as well.

Tony412 likes this.
  5. MarkFy

MarkFy Dec 18, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Plenty of Hugs in the cooler at around 3pm today and about 6 holiday snifters on the shelf (didn't ask if there was more in the back). It is tasting great this year as usual - sweet upfront bitter on the end, coffee is nice.

6. Rizdac

Rizdac Dec 5, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Don't mean to high jack the thread, but does Half Acre allow outside food in the taproom?

7. osubuckeye99

osubuckeye99 Nov 7, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

yep

foobula likes this.
  8. kreg02

kreg02 Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure they provide menus for area restaurants actually... Only been there once (on sunday) for like 30 mins

9. jtg5678

jtg5678 Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Got some yesterday. They have plenty to last through the weekend, maybe longer.

10. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

I stopped in, too! The limit per person was upped to 6 bottles, so... there's a lot to go around still. Bottles of Hearth's Ablaze, too.

I've also realized that while I don't love Half Acre beer as much as other locals, I love their tap room. $5 goblets of barrel-aged Baume?! $5 goblets of Big Hugs? Don't mind if I do!

11. JakeT469

JakeT469 Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

The limit was 6 bottles from the start this year.

12. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

So it was!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe