hamburg/hannover recommendations

Discussion in 'Germany' started by schuey1010, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schuey1010

schuey1010 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 California

coming to town at the end of april. looking for the cool bar, and a bottle shop to possibly get some great german and belgian beer to bring back home. love to meet some local beer geeks too. could bring some local west coast usa beer to trade and/or share as well.

2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Unfortunately I have not been to either city, but I'd like to one day. There was an earlier thread about a specific place in Hamburg (here: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/looking-for-meine-lieblingsbrauhaus.57015/) that you might find useful.

Otherwise I'll say, with the caveat that I don't know either city, that the beer stores in Germany generally do not carry Belgian beer. Consider yourself lucky if you find some. Hamburg is enough of an international (port) city that they might have some out-of-the-ordinary places. I'll do a quick search and see what I can find.

3. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

4. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

5. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,765) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah

Haven't been to Hamburg, but while I was at BrauKunst Live I talked to the folks from Ratsherren brewpub.
    Talking to the guys at their stand, they talked a good game about craft beer. Here's the front and back of their Bierdeckel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Braugasthaus is a bar connected with the brewery. The beer is Ratsherren.

I tried their Iggy Hop, which I reviewed here:
    They really are into Craft beer, so you should be able to find someone to talk with and share like minded stories about craft beer. Enjoy your time there.

6. jonb5

jonb5 Pooh-Bah (1,631) May 11, 2010 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Spent 6 years in Hannover. The beer scene probably won't excite a West Coast beer enthusiast. The city has two breweries, Gilde and Herrenhausen. Both don't really brew anything memorable. Jack the Ripper's is an English themed bar right in the middle of the city, the atmosphere is good on big football nights. The beer selection doesn't go beyond Fosters, Kronenburg, John Smiths or Newcastle etc. For the authentic Hannover drinking experience take the tram to the Linden district, buy a can of Gilde and go for a stroll with beer in hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.