Hangover Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by brianwsnyder, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yeah, sugar isn't my thing either, unless it's naturally occuring in a piece of fruit or vegetable. Pedialyte is where it's at. Much less sugar than Gatorade, and still all of the electrolytes.

Slatetank likes this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yep, that helps. My Grand Dad used to get a big ol' glass, pour in a Bud or Schlitz, add a healthy dose of tomato juice, top it off with a raw egg and look at us, not quite bewildered, and proclaim, "down the hatch!". It seemed to work. He was born in 1882 and was a true cowboy in Arizona and California around the turn of the century. He had serious drinking experience and had good reason to leave Birmingham for a "few' years.

#42 rgordon, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    TrojanRB and beersnobraven like this.
  3. counciloak

counciloak Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Indiana

32oz of Gatorade on top of a belly full of beer would be about fifteen late night trips to the bathroom for me.
    If I know I'm on a heavy binge night, I will just drink a glass of water in between every couple of beers. It seems to do the trick for me. Dilute that malt bomb!

4. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

This. For years my go-to hangover cure was a big greasy Bojangles chicken biscuit. Now my hangovers are usually mild enough that I just re-hydrate.

vurt likes this.
  5. Beerwolf666

Beerwolf666 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Maryland

I pretty much Never get Hangovers from Beer...Unless I am Hanging out @ my Buddies Pad,Playing Poker..and his entire Fridge is full of Shit like Steel Reserve 8.1%,and then shots of Fire Ball and Jim Beam start flowing..*feels Queasy*-
    and then yes,I Feel like hammered Shit when I wake up,in this Case,Pot of Coffee first,Half Pack of Winston smokes,and then a Nice Ice Cold Bomber of "Clown Shoes Mango Kolsch" really hits the spot-love the stuff,Hungover or Not..hehe:wink:cheers!

6. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

Bud Chelada with a splash of Worchestishire. If I have a hangover I sure can't make a Bloody Mary from scratch.

7. Avelasquez80

Avelasquez80 Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2015 Texas

[​IMG]

Agua Preparada...looks like a marg, but its not! and its good too! With a big ol' bowl of menudo or some posole!!

eppCOS likes this.
  8. marquis

marquis Champion (802) Nov 20, 2005 England

There's no hangover cure, if one existed it would be widely known and probably somebody would get very rich from selling it.

Drinking water isn't the answer, a hangover isn't simply dehydration and even if it were, how does the water you drink find its way to your brain?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34072712

5thOhio likes this.
  9. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,287) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

If I have a hangover, I never want booze. The mere idea of more beer is enough to make my stomach give a pre-emptive lurch. It usually takes a few days before I feel like having a beer again.

EDIT: Since I have no "hangover beer," here's my hangover remedy: a big bowl of pho spiked with lots of hot sauce. It gives the body water and nutrients, it tastes good, it's easy to digest, and the hot sauce makes the body release endorphins. (Note: I am not a doctor, but this works for me.)

HorseheadsHophead and TrojanRB like this.
  10. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Bloody Mary with Macro Chase. Prefrence to a bloddy mary with a couple fresh shucked oysters in the glass.

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  11. Crackerbarrel

Crackerbarrel Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 New York

I buy a jar of pickles and drink the juice straight out of the jar. Works like a charm. I don't feel like a million bucks, but it certainly makes me feel like im only down 10 bucks instead of 1,700.

But you're asking about beer, so....I usually try to do a shot instead, but I guess I'd substitute that with the booziest beer I can find.

12. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Fat tire. Nice and malty, a tasty breakfast beverage. Does anyone else think that it tastes like biscuits?

beersnobraven and doowhat like this.
  13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,867) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Any AAL with tomato juice (red beer) and some greasy food, followed by a ton of water and a nap

14. DBCB28

DBCB28 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 North Carolina

A spicy michelada with Negra Modelo. Bombay!!

Urk1127 likes this.
  15. doowhat

doowhat Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2009 Arkansas

Yes I've always described it as biscuity

TheKlevin likes this.
  16. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

Stiegl Radlers

17. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Drinking soda water (with or without a lime) while I'm out drinking, and a 32oz. Gatorade after I stop drinking usually leaves me without hangover in the morning. I've never been a fan of having a drink in the morning whether it's to cure a hangover or not.

18. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

Stick to gatorade or pedia-lyte. Actually, drink a half of a bottle of either right before going to bed, then finish the rest in the morning when you wake up. Worked wonders during those college years where we drank beer pretty much every Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday night, almost every week of the school year.

But seriously, I haven't had a hangover in years. I know I can't hang with most of my friends any more, so I don't even attempt to drink like that. Just gimme' one or two and I'll nurse them through the night, and when brunch comes the next morning, I'll be the one who can remember a) what happened last night; and b) where I left my wallet and keys haha.

19. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (393) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm curious about the people saying things like: "the thought of more beer makes me sick."

I've certainly been there before, but for the most part, my hangovers are dramatically milder that they were five years ago. I think that's largely a function of consuming less in a sitting. Hangovers now generally consist of malaise, maybe a headache, general tired/laziness. Occasionally under the right (wrong) circumstances I'll give into that deadly 'just one more' urge late into the evening - that usually puts me over the edge and really brings on the uselessness the next day.

My question to the group is: are all your hangovers of roughly equal severity?

Because sometimes I'll wake up with a faint headache after two 12oz normal strength beers. Three and it will probably have an impact my productivity/concentration at work, at least in the morning. I consider that a hangover, because had I not had those 2-3 beers, I'd probably be fine and unproductive for other reasons. No nausea or aversion to alcohol, so I'm curious - are we operating on different definitions of 'hangover'?

20. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois

100% that one...

21. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,882) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

AQUAhydrate. If it allows Mark Wahlberg to drink vodka all night and not get hungover, then the Hunter can do the same with IPAs. Larrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrge.

Yes, it really works.

Urk1127 likes this.
  22. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

It's my understanding that alcohol prevents the body from being able to absorb water (which is why you pee so much) and the electrolytes in Gatorade help your kidneys get back to normal. That said, the sugar is an issue and one might be better served drinking a Pedialyte or something like that. But I've read some medical studies that show drinking water alone isn't as effective at getting you back to normal as something with those electrolytes.

23. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2005 Florida

Pabst Blue Ribbon with Clamato and Red Hot.

24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Let's define hangovers.

There's many different levels. Epic IMO is a few times in a lifetime, it usually involves Tequila, shots of Jack, or extreme over use of Vodka, and non stop puking for 24 hours. There is nothing here that helps except time, forget food, forget water, a cold shower and puking is all there is. Death may be preferable.

There's a more moderate level where you get the spins and you puke a bit, and feel a bit shitty the next day. Food nah, but a McDonalds commercial doesn't make you retch, beer fuck no. A cold shower, maybe by lunch you can choke down crackers , by dinner your going to live.

Entry level - a bit too much, feel kinda shitty at sunrise, a cold shower , a bit of food and water kinda works. You feel human by 1 pm or so. By dinner your fine.

25. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

The only hangover I ever get is my gut hanging over my belt.

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  26. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Never understood the hair of the dog strategy. @TheBungyo hit it out of the park above.

Lots of water, some Nuun, multivitamin, and maybe steam room if you have access. Followed by more hydration.

[​IMG]

27. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

FACT: Drinking to help a hangover is a potential sign of a much bigger problem.

Urk1127 and ChicagoNick like this.
  28. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

My actual hangover cure is wake up a little earlier than you otherwise would after a night of heavy drinking, chug a glass of that Emergen-C powder and maybe have a light, carb-filled breakfast (like a bagel and oatmeal), and then go back to bed for a few more hours. If all goes well, I wake up hangover-free every time!

29. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 California

My cure would be a filet mignon Bloody Mary. (yes, there's small little bit size pieces of filet mignon in the bloody mary and instead of an olive, it's filet mignon.) So good, that i totally forget about my hangover.

Edit: Sorry that it's not a beer.

#69 SoleBriety, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    TrojanRB likes this.
  30. jman005

jman005 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

Kombucha is a good brew for hangovers. Not sure it's a good sign if you're craving more beer during a hangover.

31. analcest

analcest Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Texas

This guy knows what's up.

hopnado likes this.
  32. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

Also, water is a lot cheaper than Gatorade

33. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (393) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

That's what I'm talking about. For me there's a Middle Management position though. Definitely worse, but able to function (go grocery shopping, chores, etc), albeit grudgingly and with plenty of complaining. By 7 or so that evening I might have a beer or I might not. Craving is definitely not how I'd describe it though.

34. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2014 Michigan

I usually take a shot of bourbon, drink a glass of tequila, forget 6 hours and wake up in jail in a chicken suit.

Urk1127 likes this.
  35. J30wang

J30wang Initiate (0) May 1, 2015 New York

I feel like this might have to be something mild, like a Belgian white.

UFO White, maybe? With an orange slice. I'm such a girl lol

36. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,573) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Anybody else ever get a hangover so bad that you can't drink water? S
    The worst is when you're too hungover to drink water. You know you need it, but just can't do it.

joelwlcx likes this.
  37. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,585) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Trashy? Mickey's big mouth.
    Classy? Fucking champagne.
    Normal: water.
    Diner style: whatever. With breakfast.

38. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,287) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Interesting. I've heard about the steam room approach, which I hope includes more than enough water to replace what you've lost and are sweating out. Never tried it, but some folks from my old homebrewing club swore by it.

yemenmocha likes this.
  39. Hordeum_vulgare

Hordeum_vulgare Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2014 Georgia

Utopias
    Sink the Bismarck
    Tactical Nuclear Penguin

40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've had epic tequila hangovers when I was young and stupid that were unbelievable. When it's too much to swallow saliva you know how bad it was. That was over 20 years ago , and I still can't drink Tequila, the thought makes me queasy, still can't drink Margaritas either the smell makes me ill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.