Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Hard Liver

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Smurf2055, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2011 Washington

http://www.hardliver.com/

Hard Liver kicks off tomorrow. Might stop in quickly tomorrow, but I think I'll be doing most of my damage Sunday. Who else is going?

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,768) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I won't be making it down, but remember that Beveridge Place Pub also has their Barleywine Bacchanal in progress. Punish the Livers!

3. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2004 Oregon

I will be in town with a bunch of PDX folks!

Smurf2055 likes this.
  4. BillHilly

BillHilly Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Wish I could, have to watch the kids...drink one for me!

5. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I'll be there! I'll be wearing my Lost Abbey sweatshirt! See you around 6 pm!

Smurf2055 likes this.
  6. UA8

UA8 Zealot (548) May 12, 2008 Washington

How quickly do the kegs start kicking during this event? And how crowded is it normally today? Any thought from folk who has experienced this in the past.

7. Smurf2055

Was there just now. There's a line to get in.

8. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Wasn't able to make it down. Actually just got off work. The lineup wasn't something that I was really going to regret missing but I did want to try the Black Raven BW.

9. hannont

hannont Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2008 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Last year the guys at the door unnecessarily pushed those near the front of the line out from under the overhang and into the rain and let us stand there for about 20 minutes. This year after waiting for several hours in line, they wait 15 minutes until after the published start time to open the doors....classy! Just imagine if Brouwers treated their customers as if they actually gave a shit.

10. BillHilly

BillHilly Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

the line-up didnt impress me this year...might be solely due to my beer-snobness...or, it just wasn't that great.

doughanson78 and Smurf2055 like this.
  11. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Crusader (774) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Well if you went back this year after being treated like shit last year why should they change? I never go to Brouwers simply because the service is so bad that the last thing I want to do as a customer is reward them with my money for consistently treating me poorly.

I've always found it odd that I've had such great service at Bottleworks and such awful service at Brouwers.

gueuzehead likes this.
  12. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2009 Washington

Probably has to do with the lineup we just recently tasted too. I shouldn't have read the list asking "Where's the BA Numbskull and 05 Arctic Devil on this list?"

doughanson78 likes this.
  13. Smurf2055

No, it wasn't great. It was good, but not what you would expect from Brouwer's.

Bigwood was better, hands down.

14. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,627) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm with you on this Bungyo. I stopped going several years back, just cause I couldn't take the crowds and poor service any more. The selection was always great and I never had any complaints about the beers I tried (or even the cost for that matter), but having to wait 20 or 30 minutes every time I wanted to place another order was just too much. There are plenty of other great events in the Seattle and Portland area, so I just struck hardliver off the list of events I need to attend.

"Bigwood was better, hands down." Have only been to one, but yeah, I would agree with that statement.

15. glkaiser

glkaiser Initiate (22) May 19, 2006 Washington

Despite what you think, they were trying very hard to get the judging of 60+ beers finished and cleaned up by 11am so that you guys could come in. It's not like everyone that works there was just sitting on the other side of the door finishing a nice, lazy breakfast and laughing at everone in line. It was stressful for everyone working, and they busted their asses so you could come in and drink.

Also - service is better at Big Wood because they don't have to deal with pouring, organizing and serving 3oz samples. Which, many attendees then bitch about.

16. Smurf2055

BillHilly and I were talking about the lineup for the festival, not the service at it. They were working their hardest to accommodate as many people as they could, at least from what I saw.

17. glkaiser

glkaiser Initiate (22) May 19, 2006 Washington

Yep, I realized that. And, I'd definitely agree. Lineup for Big Wood typically has some gems that trump anything on the Hard Liver list this year.

18. beershaman

beershaman Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Washington

Went to hardliver and tried a beer by mistake. The aroma was all dark fruit, figs and plums. No alcohol or burbon to speak of. Taste was pretty much the same, sweet and fruity with some roast. I have been going back trying to figure out which beer I tried. Does this beer sound familiar to anyone?

19. dirtylou

dirtylou Poo-Bah (3,336) May 12, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

Bigwood was great. I've had nothing but awesome service at Bottleworks and Brouwers over countless visits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.