Hard time removing Ball Lock Valves from Corny Keg Stems

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by idgb, Mar 7, 2012.

?

Wish there was a better way to remove ball lock connectors?

1. Yes!

33.3%
  2. No, they are easy to remove...

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idgb

idgb Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012

I seem to be having a pretty hard time removing my ball lock quick disconnects from my corny keg stems. There have been times that I have had to grab the base with pliers, twist and pull up at the same time. I have the white connectors on the gas in stem and the black connectors on the liquid out stem so I dont think thats the problem. At times I've had issues with removing the gas and the liquid sides on each of my three cornys. Its not that they are always terribly difficult, but it still seems that it shouldnt be as hard as it is. Is anybody else having simular issues? Am I just missing something?

2. cracker

cracker Disciple (306) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

Are sure you don't have the posts mixed up? If you put the black (liquid) disconnect on the gas-in post it can be a royal PIA to remove. Same goes for putting the white disconnect on the liquid-out post. They are not interchangeable. Also not to sound like a dick but are you sure you are taking the disconnects off correctly? (Lift the collar upwards first and then lift up the QD.).

3. Naugled

Naugled Defender (644) Sep 25, 2007 New York

Get some keg lube. It definitely helps, and your o-rings will last longer.

4. idgb

Yup, I'm sure that the connectors are on the right post, and I do understand the mechanics of lifting the collar upwards to allow the ball bearings to release from the post. Its not that I cant get them off of the post, I just sometimes have to fight them a bit, twisting from around while pulling up and even sometimes grabbing the collar with pliers and pulling/twisting. I really was just wondering if anyone else had simular issues or if I'm just making this chore worse than it should be.

5. idgb

Ok, thanks - ill give that a try.

6. TallPaul07

TallPaul07 Initiate (144) Sep 4, 2010 Indiana

After I've had mine on a keg for a while they sometimes get difficult to get off. I soak them in warm water from time to time and it seems to make it as easy as when I first got them.

7. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (326) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

I have one out connection that is quite the pain to put on and take out but the rest go off/on very easy. So put me down for a "sometimes" vote. Might try the keg lube idea mentioned above, I bought some with the kegs but have never used it.

8. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Poo-Bah (2,034) Aug 7, 2002 Massachusetts
    Society

I voted yes. One of the advantages pin lock kegs have is that it's impossible to mix up the connectors. I have all ball lock kegs and for the most part the connections go on and off without issue. However, I always have to double check the stem before I put the connector on and sometimes the connectors do seem tight and are tough to remove.

9. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,942) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I voted no. I've never had a ball lock disconnect get stuck. I do always lube the O-rings, so maybe that's why.

10. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Zealot (593) Nov 24, 2009 California

Clean your disconnects. Thee is probably gunk inside keeping the balls from retracting.

11. ixodus

ixodus Aspirant (270) Jul 18, 2010 New Jersey

I currently have one keg that gives me trouble with my gas QDC. Won't be issue much longer since I'm going to replace the stem.

12. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (952) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Either clean your connections, lube everything up, get new hardware, or you have the posts swapped somehow. I was being an idiot once and put them on backwards. I ended up having to pry the black connector off with pliers and my story sounds a lot like yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.