Hardywood Virginia Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Riff, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riff

Riff Champion (857) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Thought it might be about time that Hardywood got it's own thread to keep tabs on their releases and how they go.

Hardywood is based in Richmond, Virginia with a pilot brewery in Charlottesville, VA. They are best known for their barrel releases, of particular note are Trickery, Foolery, and Kentucky Christmas Morning. Their membership club is the Family Tree Beer Club, currently in its first year.

2016 Kentucky Christmas Morning (KCM). Dec 10. 6500 bottles released. Available through Saturday and sold out Sunday afternoon within the first hour of opening. Limited distribution to Virginia, DC, and Philadelphia.

2017 Ruse. Feb 4. 4200 bottles released. Available at least two weeks afterwards (have they sold out yet? I was last by the pilot brewery on the 19th and it was available then, haven't seen anything posted since).

2016 Trickery. 5800 bottles released.

VABA likes this.
  2. Riff

These release dates were posted on their Family Tree site:

1 | Fri. 2/3 or Sat. 2/4 (Ruse Release)

2 | Fri. 5/26 or Sat. 5/27 (TBA Barrel Series Release!)

3 | Fri. 8/25 or Sat. 8/26 (Foolery Release)

4 | Fri. 11/10 or Sat. 11/11 (Bourbon GBS Release)

daveafrank likes this.
  3. Riff

A popular favorite from our Barrel Series is back on March 25 with a brand new look (our entire Barrel Series is getting a makeover in 2017)!

Join us at 1:00PM in Richmond for the release of Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Cru on draft and in 750 ml bottles to go. BoDillaz, Dank Eats, de Rochonnet delights Chocolatier and Arroz RVA will be on site serving the treats.

Enjoy live music from Ne-Hi, Lightfields & Fairlane starting at 6pm!

Our Charlottesville Pilot Brewery & Taproom will have draft and a limited number of 750mL bottles available at 12PM.

ABOUT THE BEER:
    Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Cru is brewed in the fashion of Belgium's revered monastic breweries. It displays a rich mahogany hue with a medium body and brilliant clarity after months of barrel aging. The maturity and melding of flavors brought on by the freshly drained bourbon whiskey barrels lends an extraordinary sense of harmony to Bourbon Barrel Cru. Almond, toffee and oaky vanilla give way to notes of dark cherries and raisins. Subtle hints of plum are greeted by caramel overtones for a smooth, robust and warming finish. 12% ABV

montman likes this.
  4. Riff

March 4th release of Quadrahop.

The taproom opens at 1PM with a new addition to our Reserve Series, Quadrahop! This beer was first released as our 4th Anniversary ale in 2015 and we have decided to bring it back as an annual release!

Hardywood Quadrahop introduces Virginia Grown and hand crafted malted barley from Copper Fox Distillery to our Reserve series, and delivers an artful melange of the world's most sought after hop varietals. Nelson Sauvin delivers a layer of gooseberry and white grape. Citra brings passion fruit, lychee, melon and citrus notes into the mix. Amarillo exudes fresh lemon, orange. grapefruit and tropical floral aromas. A generous dose of mosaic perfects this hop blend with a fragrance of berry and mango and a backbone of earthy pine. 8.5% ABV

Quadrahop will be available on draft, in growler fills and in 750 mL bottles to go (both Richmond and Charlottesville!). Stick around until 6PM for a free show from Photosynthesizers, The Trillions, Spooky Cool + Gull!

Food trucks: Arroz RVA, NYStyleFood Richmond, Happy Empanada,Espresso A Go Go Catering!

Macsimus likes this.
  5. Riff

Cassowary to be released on draft and in 750ml bottles on April 1st. Coconut Cassowary to be made available on DRAFT only.
    Foolery will not be available until August 26th.

Hardywood Cassowary returns to the draft lines in our Richmond and Charlottesville locations on Saturday, April 1, along with a limited draft-only variant, Coconut Cassowary! Our taprooms open for service in Richmond from 1-10PM and in Charlottesville from 12-11PM.

But what about Foolery!? Foolery (Cassowary aged in bourbon barrels) will be staying in the barrels for some additional time, so please save the date for it's release this summer on AUGUST 26!

Cassowary will be available on draft and in 750mL bottles to go (limit 4 bottles per guest). Coconut Cassowary will be available on draft-only. Both styles are limited, so we will not be filling growlers in Richmond or Charlottesville.

Food Trucks: Cheezilla's Grilled Cheese & Curbside Creations Food Truck.

Stay tuned for more information on FREE live music in the evening!

About Hardywood Cassowary:
    Cloaked in black and crowned with vibrant color, the cassowary is the embodiment of prehistoric grace and primal ferocity. Our imperial milk stout is equally bold and unapologetically rich, presenting a balanced aroma of chocolate truffle and dark fruits followed by leather, toffee and almond that linger on the palate and earn the name Hardywood Cassowary; a graceful behemoth in the beer world. 11%

6. brocktune

brocktune Zealot (547) Nov 3, 2013 Virginia

Coconut Cassowary could be interesting. Accident's Hopp'n was ok (Coconut cassowary blended with Great Return) but the hop profile overwhelmed everything else a little too much for my personal taste.

Bummer about foolery not being ready until August. I hope Trickery doesn't get pushed past Halloween.

7. Riff

8. Riff

I've wondered about Trickery since it wasn't mentioned on the release date on the Family Tree site. Also concerned since Bourbon GBS comes out a week and a half after Halloween.

9. TomCat11

TomCat11 Devotee (488) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Happening Apr. 21st at the RVA tap room....... I believe these should be available at the Charlottesville location either the 21st or 22nd. Had it a few weeks ago and it's so much better than the original session Evelyn.
    16 oz. can release! Originally brewed as a part of our Brewer & Artist Series, Evelyn returns as Empress Evelyn in this imperial interpretation by Hardywood lead brewer, Kevin Storm, crowed with new label artwork by Mike Baker. Long live the Empress Evelyn!

Quantities TBD (we will update ASAP with potential limits). 15 minute QUICK PICKUP parking will also be available for those interested in stopping by to grab and go as you head off into the weekend!
    [​IMG]

10. Riff

Capital Trail Pale Ale is back, and we're introducing a BRAND NEW RECIPE to honor the completion of the trail, available in 12oz. cans and 6packs in Richmond and Charlottesville on April 15, 2017.

Here's the rundown:
    -New England IPA yeast strain brings a juicier, brighter character
    -Addition of naked golden oats for stronger head retention and smoother mouthfeel
    -New hop profile lowering bitterness
    -Decreased caramel malt to let the hops shine
    -100% Falconer's Flight dry hop

Brewed with Falconer’s Flight, Willamette and Mandarina Bavaria hops, Capital Trail Pale Ale invigorates the palate with refreshing notes of citrus and offers a pleasantly dry finish. Your purchase of this beer supports the Virginia Capital Trail Foundation and the ongoing maintenance, promotion and enhancement of the 52 mile walking and biking path that links the current and historic state capitals of Richmond and Jamestown. We raise a can in honor of the hard work of the Virginia Capital Trail Foundation and its volunteers, and your next adventure along one of America’s most bucolic and historically significant byway

grover37, bushycook and Macsimus like this.
  11. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (340) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Wow, that's really a surprise from Hardywood. I know they're trying to brew more modern hoppy beers, but I wasn't expecting them to totally reformulate Capital like that. I'll try it if I see it.

12. TomCat11

Trader

I didn't even catch the details of the reformulation. Really excited to hear that. I was not terribly impressed with it previously but definitely will seek it out as well.

13. beernuts

Trader

If anyone tries the new Capital please post what you think about it.

14. TomCat11

Trader

I picked up a sixer on Saturday and really enjoyed it. It has been since last Summer when I had the last batch but this has nice citrus low bitterness to it. It's not a hazy juice bomb but does have a lot of flavor for coming in at 5.6%. if I had to compare it to another VA beer I would say it's a lighter and dryer Three Notch'd - Minute Man. If I wanted to crush a few MM on a warm afternoon but not get the after effects of multiple 7% beers I would opt for this instead.

beernuts likes this.
  15. Riff

Join us on Saturday, May 27 as we introduce a brand new barrel blend to our Barrel Series: Hardywood Cuvee Peach!

Hardywood Cuvée Peach is artfully blended by our barrel master from small batches of Peach Tripel aged in white wine barrels at varying levels of maturation from three months to more than a year. The resulting beer is beautifully complex with yeast derived stone fruit esters that harmonize with juicy peach undertones. This sparkling refresher offers a pleasantly dry finish with the slightest hint of vanilla from the toasted French Oak barrels.

Available in our Richmond and Charlottesville locations, on draft and in 750mL bottles to go.

16. Riff

Join us in the taproom for a new fruited variation of our warm weather favorite! Boysenberry Berliner Weisse will be available on draft and in 4 packs to-go starting at 1pm. Sammich will be here all afternoon serving up great eats for the whole family!

Berliner Weisse is known for its refreshing tartness and delicate body, making it an historically popular style to beat the heat of summer at outdoor cafes in Berlin, Germany. Hardywood has recreated this delightful, thirst-quenching style using a kettle souring method and traditional German ingredients

May 13th release date.

17. Riff

Join us from 4-10PM on Friday, May 12th and pick up some fresh canned Road to Idaho IPA for the weekend!

Less than 40 cases of 4-pack 16 oz cans will be available in Richmond (10 available in Charlottesville), with limited draft available in both locations, so come by while supplies last! Limit: one case per guest. Ask your server about special pricing on case purchases!

15 minute Quick Pickup parking spaces will be reserved in front ofour production building at 2408 Ownby lane (next to the grain silos).

Richmond: Happy Empanada provides the mobile menu, and we'll have a free show in the evening from Shagwüf/Get in the Car/Lauren Hoffman &the Secret Storm/Lady God!

About the Beer:
    Notes of orange peel, lemon and apricot shine through on a foundation of wheat malt in this single hop IPA featuring the elusive Idaho 7 hop varietal. CRACK ONE OPEN AND DRINK FRESH!

VABA likes this.
  18. brocktune

Did this one sell out yesterday?

19. brocktune

Barley in the Rye release sold out in about an hour today, with a 2 bottle per person limit. Did anyone hear a bottle count? I only saw them say extremely limited quantities.

20. TomCat11

Trader

Not confirmed but unless they held some back I would have to guess a little over 300 bottles. 1 bottle per FT Member (100) , 14 cases (168) at the RVA Tap Room and 4 cases (48) at CVille Pilot Tap Room comes to 316.

brocktune likes this.
  21. Riff

Release, Friday June 30th for Just Right Oatmeal IPA to celebrate 1,000 batches of beer.

We've brewed 1,000 batches of beer! Help us celebrate in the beer garden from 4-10PM. We'll have Opa Food Truck here serving their greek influenced menu. Stay tuned for details on the evenings entertainment!

Our Oatmeal IPA displays a bright golden hue, with Vic Secret and Citra hops delivering fresh mandarin orange and ripe kiwi fruit aromatics. Balanced notes of orange and grapefruit rest comfortably over a foundation of rolled and malted oats. Juicy and smooth with a dry finish, this IPA is just right.

4-pack 16oz. cans: $15+tax
    Case: $78 (limit one case per case)

22. brocktune

I'm interested in this one for the novelty if anything, I've never had an oatmeal IPA before.

23. beernuts

Trader

You may have, its not really that novel in 2017. A lot of NE IPAs are brewed with oats, if you've ever had an IPA from Tired Hands you've probably had one. (I'm not saying this will be a NE IPA though).

24. brocktune

I haven't had anything from Tired Hands, but thanks for the info. I didn't know using oats in an IPA was that common.

25. c64person

c64person Devotee (417) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Super common for NE Style IPA's. Its almost a trademark of the style. Oats give a silky mouthfeel but don't add to the 'malt' flavor, which allows the hops to shine even more.

brocktune likes this.
  26. 209Hill

209Hill Initiate (37) Dec 22, 2016 Virginia

This thread doesn't seem to get much traffic ....

Today - Pineapple Mango Berliner (I think their base Berliner is really solid, and am enjoying the Passionfruit Mosaic Berliner released a few weeks ago)

We've got a new fruited variation of our warm weather favorite! Pineapple Mango Berliner Weiss will be available on draft and in 4 packs to-go starting at 4pm. Taqueria Panchito will be here slinging the most delicious authentic mexican cuisine! Stay tuned for update on live music!

Berliner Weisse is known for its refreshing tartness and delicate body, making it an historically popular style to beat the heat of summer at outdoor cafes in Berlin, Germany. Hardywood has recreated this delightful, thirst-quenching style using a kettle souring method and traditional German ingredients.

Next Week 7/28 - Road to Idaho IPA (I'm not as big a fan of their hoppy releases, but they're usually pretty solid if fresh)

About the Beer: Notes of orange peel, lemon and apricot shine through on a foundation of wheat malt in this single hop IPA featuring the elusive Idaho 7 hop varietal. CRACK ONE OPEN AND DRINK FRESH!

Next Week 7/29 - Cuvée Gold

About the beer: Cuvée refers to a specific blend of carefully selected vats creating a consistent house blend. Using the same belgian style golden strong ale as Hardywood's Vinalia Urbana we've re-imagined this beer and rebranded it as Cuvée Gold.

Hardywood Cuvée Gold artfully blends the elegance of French wine country with the gentle and balanced characteristics of a traditional Belgian-style Golden Ale. Combining both young and mature vintages aged in freshly emptied Sauvignon Blanc barrels, Cuvée Gold offers light earthy aromatics, a subtle sweetness and a hint of toasted oak that are delightfully dry and delicate on the palate, with lasting white grape and stone fruit undertones.

27. brocktune

Just picked up a four pack of the pineapple berliner weisse, looking forward to trying it this weekend. I have enjoyed Hardywood's weisse's since they debuted them as their 3rd anniversary ale.

Cuvee gold should be good. It has been a solid wine barrel aged Belgian ale in years past when it was branded as Vanalia Urbana.

28. Riff

Foolery release info:

Foolery returns, friends! The taproom is open from 1-10PM on August 26 with Foolery available on draft (no growler fills) and in 750mL bottles to go.

Hardywood Foolery is one of the top 10 milk stouts in the world onBeerAdvocate.com, and holds an overall 100 rating on RateBeer.com. Come on out and collect your allocation of this fan favorite! There are approximately 320 cases available; 4 bottle limit per guest. ***A note to our Hardywood Family Tree Beer Club members: you will have an opportunity to pre-purchase up to 4 additional bottles in advance of the release date!

29. brocktune

320 cases sounds about on par with last year's release. Should last at least through the afternoon if not into the next day.

Riff likes this.
  30. beernuts

Trader

What's the deal with Capital Trail these days? I remember it being a shelf staple along with Great Return and Singel, but ever since they announced this new recipe I haven't seen a single can or tap anywhere.

31. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Devotee (425) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

Is there any other social media where they've been announcing the member beers? I trade with a someone who's a member and it'd be nice to have an idea of what they're releasing, besides just being surprised after the fact, haha.

32. rugerj

rugerj Aspirant (217) Jun 19, 2007 Virginia

This go around we are getting a BA Quad that has been in barrels for 3 years and Foolery. We also got the option to pre-purchase extras of the two above as well as their base stout, Cassowary, aged on coconut.

33. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (81) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland

Just got to the Foolery release. Probably only ~200 people in line, bottles should last a while.

34. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (157) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Is foolery available at both Hardywood locations?

35. Riff

It should be. Not sure if still in cville, have not gotten there yet.

36. TomCat11

Trader

Yes. Charlottesville received 15 cases and sold through those in 90 mins. I'm surprised they lasted that long. RVA had 300 cases and 500 bottles of Coconut Cassowary.

37. Riff

Cville still has coconut cassowary.

VABA and Bfairhurst74 like this.
  38. TomCat11

Trader

They did not state how much CVille had. Also surprised that lasted all day too. I figured they would have sent just enough to match full allocation on Foolery so basically 4 cases. Guess they sent more.

#38 TomCat11, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Riff likes this.
  39. fadgen

fadgen Initiate (105) May 5, 2005 California

So is foolery still around in Richmond?

40. fadgen

fadgen Initiate (105) May 5, 2005 California

Answering my own question. Yes, there is some left in Richmond

Todes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.