Harpoon to Host Career Fair to Promote Diversity in Beer Industry

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by LeRose, Oct 2, 2019.

1. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,401) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

It's a topic that comes up here fairly frequency. Harpoon seems to be trying to so something positive about it:

"The company behind Harpoon Brewery will host its first career fair aiming to promote workforce diversity. The "Hop Forward" career fair will feature Harpoon and eight other local breweries, giving interested candidates from different backgrounds and who speak multiple languages the chance to network and learn about the industry."

I'm not sure it says how, exactly, the event is actively promoting diversity but the interview mentions reaching out to "under-represented" communities.

Full Story: https://www.necn.com/news/new-engla...Fair-Diversity-Harpoon-Brewing-561488231.html

thesherrybomber likes this.
  2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sometimes simply hosting a job fair with a variety of jobs that is widely and aggressively publicized can result in an active promotion of diversity. If you don't even know or think there's a job opportunity in the first place....

LeRose likes this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,561) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

"The people who work at breweries that are a part of the Brewers Association are somewhat more likely to be white than the general U.S. population, 65% to 61% respectively..."

4% difference? I'm surprised it is that small, based on general impressions / observations. (But, I don't work in the industry.)

If this is accurate, is ethnic/racial diversity really a problem?

Perhaps gender diversity is?

stevepat likes this.
  4. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

4% may or may not be significant at the national level, but in either case that doesn't give anything like a regional breakdown, so there could still be areas where it is an issue they might want to address.

I'd guess the gender diversity is more the issue but one promotes a job fair on the basis of diversity in general.

LeRose likes this.