Harvest 2012 daydreams: what hops will/won't you buy

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MrOH, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,048) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Just thinking ahead to the American, and then European harvests coming on to the markets in a couple of months. What hops will you buy in bulk, and what hops that you have bought in the past won't you buy? What would you like to experiment with? On the fence about?

Personally, I won't bother with Citra again. While I like it alot for certain applications, I've had to force myself to use it recently to justify having bought it. I'll just pick up an ounce or two from LHBS for my summertime american wheats in the future.

On the will definitely buy again tip: amarillo, willamette, saphir. I use the crap out of these hops all over the place. All very flexible, great for blending, and awesome if used appropriately.

On the fence about Centennial. The cascade/columbus blend as worked well for some regional brewers in the area, so I'll give it a go if Centennial doesn't fall in my lap.

Would like to try: More of the US noble types. Some of the new UK varieties. Just trying to expand my horizons. Even when I brew not so hoppy beers, I still like to toss 0.5oz in at 10min so that I remember the whirlfloc. Some of these definitely look like they would add a new dimension.

2. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Disciple (300) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

I will be buying Amarillo. It's my weakness.

FATC1TY likes this.
  3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (419) May 2, 2006 Utah

Oh no, more hops! While I'd like to try some different hops this year, I bought way to much last year; only recently did I use some Citra that I bought last year. Plus the homegrown crop looks to be off the charts. I am planning on a couple of IPAs in the near future. At least that should help.

4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I'm with MaxSpang.. I will be getting atleast a pound or more of Amarillo in the freezer. It's a great all around hop for everything from pales, to wheats, and even saisons.

I'm looking at Amarillo, and Simcoe and Cascade being the big bulk buys. I'll buy some Citra, but maybe not enough to have on hand as much. It's a good hop, I've just been told the harvest this year, while larger than last for Citra, it's not going to be Citras year as far as exceptional flavor.

I'll probably kick back some Willamette too.. thats a nice hop to play with.

Past that.. Probably won't bulk up on much else. I mainly brew IPA's and Pales.. A blonde here and there, and then move to darker stuff when it gets cooler. I don't deal much of the noble variety, as I don't lager and most of it gets lost in the mess I make anyways.

5. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I am still sitting on 3# of hops...Cascade (just purchased 1# for $10), Challenger, Golding, Hersbrucker, Czech Saaz, Galaxy. So, I may not jump on the harvest. I buy a pound of Amarillo every year, but may take a year off.

When the harvest comes out I may re-explore Centennials (pound) or Chinook (half pound)...but we'll see when it comes out. Maybe there will be something new and fun this year.

6. whereizzy

whereizzy Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Wisconsin

I'm a Citra junkie. Bramling Cross is a must for my English Ales. I wasn't impressed with Apollo and I'm sick of Simcoe. I'm exploring New Zealand hops like Pacific Gem/Jade, Motueka, Pacifica....

7. chiefydawg

chiefydawg Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Ohio

I just harvested about 4lbs of Casades from my bines, about another 2 left to pick. In bulk, I need to order some more Hallertau, since and I love German lagers and Belgian ales . Pretty set for American Ales/IPAs now, with bulk in about 8 other varieties.

Now, I'll say this though: try some new ones when you can. I have some Comet and Bravo from this Spring's bulk buys, and they are my new favorites for Pales and IPAs now.

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,966) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I'm well stocked in beer and probably won't take the opportunity to brew for several months. When I do, I need to get back to the beers I like the most, session bitters and browns. Those next hop purchases will be English-bred varieties and their descendants of similar ilk.

9. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

I have not had any Centennial or Simcoe in quite a while and I miss them. I have only had Amarillo a few times but I really like them, so those three are on my list.

I have never tried Chinook :grimacing: but would like to give them a whirl. Apollo, Bravo and Serebrianka I tried this year and liked also.

Just give me a pound of everything you have:slight_smile:.

10. ForMNHops

ForMNHops Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012

Have you tried any Hops grown in Minnesota?

11. itsjustzach

itsjustzach Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2006 Ohio

I'll definitely be getting at least a pound each of amarillo and centennial and maybe some czech saaz. If I see any good sales on anything from last years crop that looks interesting I might have to take advantage of that as well.

12. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Only in local beers (Harvestor or Hundred Yard Dash for wet hopping), or a tasting my homebrew club did once (cascade from HippityHop Farms).

Or, my own...but something dug up my rhizomes this year.

13. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2012 Connecticut

I agree with FatC1ty: Amarillo/Cascade/Simcoe

I like Centennial, but it's not a personal favorite. Founders makes a good Centennial IPA, but I don't think I'd buy it in bulk.

14. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Initiate (120) May 15, 2011 New York

Simcoe Citra Amarillo in bulk...everything else as needed.

How much longer for Nelson?

15. alanforbeer

alanforbeer Initiate (54) Jan 29, 2011 South Carolina

This year's Nelson is already arriving. Bought some from Rebel Brewer outside of Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Also bought a pound of this year's Galaxy. Should be interesting...

16. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,467) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

a pound of centennial for sure. Last year hopsdirect(i think) had a black friday sale of citra by the pound. If they do that again I will be jumping on it. Probably amarillo too. My hope is to have a nice stocked freezer for the next year. BTW Hopsdirect just got the first shipment of 2012 harvest, there are a few good ones, but not most of the ones I want yet. Freshops has Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial harvest up now for whole hops.

I havent tried Ahtanum yet on my own brews, so I will probably get some this year at LHBS because they always get the best hops in the store.

17. Derby

Derby Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012

I would love to get my hands on some citra if anyone is looking to unload some.

18. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

I have already bought my hops for the year.

Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Goldings, Galaxy, Nelson, Magnum, Fuggles, Belma. :sunglasses:

JimmyTango likes this.
  19. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (419) May 2, 2006 Utah

I wasn't going to buy any this year, and then I ended up ordering a pound each of Belma, Glacier, First Gold, and H. Hershbrucker (all leaf). I'd better get brewing...

20. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,668) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

From recent batches I will certainly be buying cascade and willamette in bulk. I will also buy amarillo if I can find it.

I want to play with some fuggles too. A local brewery made a fantastic amber ale with it that I'd like to try and clone.

I'm also going to try new varieties as the whim hits me. Since I'm doing 3.5-4 gallon all grain batch sizes right now, there's lots of room to play with new hops in the next year.

21. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

Citra, simcoe, warrior, Nelson Sauvin, galaxy, Cascade, all by the lb. The nelson, i may actually buy a lot of, its the new favorite hop.

22. hopdog09

hopdog09 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

using only homegrown hops..Chinook, MT. Hood, Sterling....every year, depending on the growing season, they change, so it's like a "box of choclates"..I generally don't brew to a specific recipe or style so if it's off alittle..who knows?

23. mattsander

mattsander Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2010 Canada (AB)

I've already grabbed 2lbs of Simcoe and Nelson, definitely want more varieties as they become available. Centennial, cascade, amarillo, citra and galaxy for sure.

24. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,224) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, Belma, Cascade and maybe a high alpha hop that's cheap...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.