Has anyone ever gotten sick from drinking a beer (as in one beer specifically)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jaken0ss, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaken0ss

jaken0ss Aspirant (235) Nov 6, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Last night me and my dad split a bottle of Upland's strawberry lambic, shortly after I was sick to my stomach and my dad was throwing up. Is there something that could have been in the beer that could cause this?

p.s. we're both fine this morning

leantom likes this.
  2. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I've thrown up quite a few times after drinking beer.

3. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

4. riverlen

riverlen Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

No. It could also have been something the 2 of you ate.

mcrago likes this.
  5. tjosborne

tjosborne Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Nebraska

Yep, Corona. One or ten I'm on the toilet all the next day. At least I'm not missing out on much.

D-HopSupreme likes this.
  6. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (471) Nov 18, 2008 New York

That's what happened to me when I drank my first sour. My stomach can't handle them. I get very ill. Your stomach is probably the same.

hoptheology and jzeilinger like this.
  7. slusk

slusk Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2009 Virginia

8. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (328) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yes, ST Pumking. I love pumpkin beers but there is something in this beer my body just does not like and just the thought of it can make me queasy at times. I've had it twice in my life and both times it did not go well. :grimacing:

If I overdo certain hoppier beers I can get a little sick too, but nothing too severe and like my reaction to Pumking.

9. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

Oh absolutely I've gotten sick from drinking a beer: Coors Light. Despite being flavorless corn water, it turns out if you drink 20 of them within a relatively short time span, you'll probably blow chunks and pass out due to acute alcohol poisoning. High schoolers are so damn stupid.

10. pjvie

pjvie Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Oregon

A chili beer I had in Mexico... mistake.

On a side note, I am apparently allergic to hops. First time I home brewed, I decided to smell the hops and immediately began to sneeze, my eyes watered, and my sinuses swelled. Usually in a beer they are not either concentrated enough or are not in aerosol form enough to cause a reaction. But I swear when I had a RuinTen, my sinuses were completely clear as I was smelling it, but a few minutes into drinking they started to swell a bit. (I also have a grass allergy so I wonder if these are related).

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  11. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Disciple (376) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee

Once in college buddies and I decided to play poker with the rule being the buy in for each hand included Shotgunning a PBR. That night was filled with stomach aches and vomit sessions.

12. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I'm not sure how Upland makes their lambics (ie, are they lambics or "lambics"?) but traditional ones have a wide variety of live bacteria and yeasts in them, most of which are not normally in beer. Since everyone's digestive ecosystem is a little different it is entirely possible that one or more of these organisms disagrees with your stomach, possibly even by attacking the native bacteria in your gut. Neither of you would be the first persons to experience this.

Alternatively you and your father both have stomachs that can't process excess acid, like acid reflux disease or something.

jzeilinger likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Getting sick from the beer is unlikely. However, if both of you touched the bottle to pour then it's possible that both of you picked up a virus bug from the outside of the bottle. There are a number of things that could have caused it.

Providence likes this.
  14. ThePaintedGrey

ThePaintedGrey Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

I've never gotten sick from just one beer... 16 Natty Lights later is a different story entirely...

The closest thing I can think of is that Budweiser (not Bud Light) gives me VICIOUS headaches about 20 minutes after drinking one. It's obviously not a huge issue since I don't drink Bud, but this has happened on more than one occasion during my *cough* underage *cough* drinking phase.

15. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,833) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Miller High Life made me sick and unable to perform with a girl a was with 20+ years ago, not necessarily in that order, but really either way it was not good!
    Budweiser also makes me ill and gives me the shits.

16. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Nothing that can live in beer can hurt you period. Something else made you sick likley food.

JeremyDanner likes this.
  17. jRocco2021

That doesn't sound like living thd high life to me lol. Too much of any kind of alcohol will have the same effect though.

hoptheology likes this.
  18. jhartley

Society Trader

Yeah I was a low life at that time :wink:. I don't think 4 beers is "too much". Really anything Miller: MGD, Lite, High Life is crap.

hardy008 likes this.
  19. jRocco2021

Lol whoa only four! That must have been embarrassing, especially without a good excuse. I'm surrounded by low life's as I'm still 24 luckily I don't fit that description. Though its possible I'm just that ignorant.

20. salazaro44

salazaro44 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2011 California

Back in highschool I had 3 or 4 tecates at a halloween party. I woke up in the middle of the night with stuff coming out of both ends. I didn't have a ton of alcohol or nor was I piss drunk. To this day I've never had another tecate. Before I drank craft I would also avoid it like the plague.

21. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

If I drink a bunch of IPAS and then mix in one Porter, Its barf city. Not sure why, it just happens. So I do not drink porters any more.

russpowell and TongoRad like this.
  22. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (210) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I'm allergic to the yeasts in Belgiums and some other brews as well but mostly Belgiums. It may not be all Belgium yeasts but it has happened enough that I don't care to find out if it is certain strains or not. One Belgium makes my face puffy and labors my breathing. Two Belgiums makes those symptoms worse and also gives me a hangover - even though I'm not really hungover. I'm afraid if I had a few more Belgiums, it may close off my windpipe so I just don't touch them any more.

23. BobbySue22

BobbySue22 Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2012 Oregon

PBR - every time I would have a drink I would gag and eventually my stomach would become engulfed with pain and make me nauseated.

24. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

You are a Disciple, this is normal until you reach the level of Aficionado.

25. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 California

Yes, Stone Epic Vertical 11.11.11
    Made me sick to my stomach. I love chili beers, and Im a chili lover, so it wasnt the chilis. Awful beer to begin with.

26. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (447) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

I drank a One Gallon funnel with a hose connected to it before in the early 90s filled with Budweiser and Miller High life and Scotch:grimacing::confused::rolling_eyes:. Puked Every where in My buddy's Older brothers first house. I had a rule posted on the beer fridge dedicated to me.

hoptheology and jhartley like this.
  27. blabaer

blabaer Aspirant (282) Oct 26, 2013 California

The ectoplasm that is Fantome Saison. Ugh.

28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Barf City? I hear that place blows.

As to the topic, I remember @jesskidden posting once or twice about a brewer who accidentally released a beer with some sort on industrial chemical in it, and it made some people sick. But an unadulterated beer probably wouldn't be in that category.

29. Brutalism_X

Brutalism_X Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Maryland

Dominion's Millennium. Sick to my stomach. Its never happened to me before.

30. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

Not a specific beer, but when I drink a lot of sours in one sitting my stomach doesnt feel so well after a couple of hours.

31. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Golden Monkey. I've never really gotten too ill from all the Malt Liquors I've drank. But 72 oz. of Golden Monkey equals sharts, alcohol poisoning and the dreaded violent vomiting and dry heaves when there is nothing left in your stomach. That was Christmas morning 2007. Never again! Remember kids, do not abuse your Monkey, Respect the Monkey!

Scrapss, hoptheology, rynej23 and 3 others like this.
  32. patpbr

patpbr Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Ohio

Milwaukee's Best out of a beer pong cup.

33. Stum-pub

Stum-pub Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 Connecticut

SHARTS :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

hoptheology, mcrago and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  34. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,903) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Brewing lore asserts that no human pathogens survive the process. My own scientific instincts bristle at the absolutism, but there is a pretty sound logic behind the assertion, plus a lack of empirical evidence to the contrary. If you got sick from drinking beer, it probably wasn't a pathogen. It also is a reasonable guess that the most toxic component of the beer was alcohol. If it was a really sour beer, maybe you and your day had some sort of acid reflux triggered by the beer?

35. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm sorry but, from now on whenever I see one of your posts, you're just gonna be the dude who couldn't get it up after 4 high lifes.

36. mborden

mborden Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2009 New York

A couple years ago my buddy gave me a bottle of JW Lee's Harvest from 2004 or 2005 as a gift. I split the bottle into two small tasters with my wife and while I thought it was fine, she pretty much took her first sip and then immediately evacuated her stomach. I've never seen anybody get so sick so quickly from food or alcohol. She hadn't been drinking anything prior to that either. It was bizarre.

37. busternuggz

busternuggz Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 California

The first (and last) time I had a Steel Reserve I felt like I was hungover before I finished the can. But I didn't throw up or anything.

38. jhartley

Society Trader

Getting up wasn't the problem.

39. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

This is a lot of sharing. . . Most men would not admit to this and for that I salute you.

40. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Ooh, my bad :flushed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.