Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Has anyone ever gotten sick from drinking a beer (as in one beer specifically)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jaken0ss, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

OE 800 High Gravity. Though, might have been the amount I drank.

2. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (781) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think some people might be sensitive to certain yeast strains some breweries use.

russpowell likes this.
  3. SirRainboom

SirRainboom Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2014 Germany

Generic Pilsners, including but not limited to Warsteiner, Radeberger, Oettinger, Germania and Bitburger.

Not necessarily sick as in hanging over the toilet but as in feeling way worse then the quantity I consumed would indicate. Same goes for a lot of wine, vodka and tequila.

4. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

nope, never. Wine yes. too much of it. booze the same reason.(I blame the cheap booze prices, back in the day u get a bottle of jack for 2-3 bucks at px) now I do still get headaches from place(s) that suck at serving their beer on draft.

5. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,651) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Can't say a specific beer ever has. Some are just not pleasant & do not get finished. I did learn from trips to Belgium, to be mindful of that sediment on the bottom, unless I wanted to spend a lot of time near a outhouse the next mornning:grimacing:

6. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (305) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm not willing to rule out it being a coincidence yet, but I've had Sierra Nevada Flipside Red on two separate occasions and I ended up with a splitting headache shortly afterwards both times.

I'm a total hophead so it can't be a generic hop aversion thing. And I'm not sure I liked the beer enough to go to the bother of a third test, so it may have to remain a mystery.

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,530) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

HA! When I saw the title I was going to make a smartass post about being at the KBS bottle share and as I was leaving and very hammered I was offered a pour of Strawberry Lambic. Puked my guts out like 30 minutes later and that taste didn't go away for a long time.

8. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,530) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Function
    Bloomington Brewing Co
    Quaff On has a brewpub (try Common Necessity)

9. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

That has happened to me twice and both times, I am sure that there was something seriously wrong with the beer. Each time, I was not at all drunk and had no issues before or after purging the beer. One time was on tap at a brewpub and the other was from a bomber bottle. Each time, I felt nauseous from the first sip, but because the beer didn't have any off flavors, I continued to sip them. In both cases, each sip made me feel worse and I was racing to get sick after consuming less than 5 ounces. I was otherwise fine and switching to a different beer was all it took. But each of these incidents were dramatic in how ill I felt, so quickly and directly as a result of each beer. I always figured that there was some concentrated cleaning agent in each, that somehow went undetectable in the taste, but in now way were these feeling like a drunk sickness, but very much what I would describe more like being mildly poisoned by something.

10. weltywm

weltywm Disciple (362) Jul 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth." - George Burns

11. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

six point's rad gave me the runs.

12. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (631) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

A little ditty from college years:

I've vomited in Bermuda
    and puked in Rio Grande
    But a beer is a beer is a beer is a beer
    until you've thrown up Hamm's.

But no, I haven't gotten sick from drinking a specific beer. But then again, I stay away from strawberry lambics.

13. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (731) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's a rare condition you have. Only cure is to send all of your funky beers to me.

14. Loco_Joe

Loco_Joe Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

maybe you and your dad are allergic to strawberries?

15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,461) May 19, 2005 Colorado

No. Not after one beer, or a night of 'em

16. MarcM

MarcM Initiate (131) Aug 19, 2011 California

Drank a bomber of Trois Pistoles one night and wound up violently vomiting in the middle of the night. Now I don't know if it was the beer or the shrimp burrito I had earlier in the day that did it, but for the next two weeks or so, the thought of drinking a beer sickened me.

17. bryreeves

bryreeves Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Newcastle brown ale always gives me the trots... Not sure why...

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  18. WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2007 Illinois

I appear to be allergic to farmhouse ales. Had a pair tonight and my sinuses exploded. Not the first time either. Had a locally brewed framboise a few weeks ago and had the same reaction.

19. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

I had a scary allergic reaction from drinking just a few sips of Seef, from Belgium. My mouth and throat swelled up a bit, so I naturally dumped it, which sucked, because it tasted pretty good. EXCELLENT cap, however.

20. headbucket

headbucket Aspirant (268) Oct 30, 2007 Ohio

pumpking... the spices made my stomach turn and i felt like i would get physically ill if i drank more than half the bottle

21. JoeAmerican77

JoeAmerican77 Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2009 Colorado

I have felt similarly with generic pils across the S. China Sea region, Tiger, Angkor, Red Horse etc and also around Japan, Kirin, Sapporo etc. I have heard of certain levels of arsenic being included in water sources as well as some of these beers containing high levels of preservatives similar to cheap wine. Both wouldn't be great for the human body.

All I can say is, hard hangovers, beer craps, and general discomfort.

22. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (4,762) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Beer Trader

jaken0ss said:
    Last night me and my dad split a bottle of Upland's strawberry lambic, shortly after I was sick to my stomach and my dad was throwing up. Is there something that could have been in the beer that could cause this?

"Aficionado" - Lambics and sours still wreak havoc on my digestive tract at times (not hurling, though), I guess I deserve a demotion.

23. HighonHops42

HighonHops42 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Ghost face killa made me sick to my stomach.

BKRMKR and c2mcclel like this.
  24. HighonHops42

HighonHops42 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This was Christmas 09 for me....lol I woke up naked under the Christmas tree in a puddle of puke at my parents house.. at age 24 need less to say it was a better new years.

Scrapss and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  25. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (2,547) May 12, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Never got sick from one beer. Sickest I ever got was at a football party slamming about 4 or 5 40 oz Colt 45's within a 2 hour period. Green unholiness like you have never seen projectile vomited out of my face. If there was ever a night I told my liver "I don't respect you or your help in my body", it was this night. Of course we were in high school then, so....

Also some beers give me instant headaches. Those suck.

26. dutesanch

dutesanch Devotee (407) Apr 22, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I get a really strong nauseated feeling midway thru an Angry Orchard cider. Only had one twice and it happened both times. Whiskey, scotch, tequila, and even Coors doesn't do that to me.

Scrapss likes this.
  27. Jack_Frost79

Jack_Frost79 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Maryland

No, but one beer HAS made me better.

Providence and beerdedking like this.
  28. beerdedking

beerdedking Aspirant (259) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

One time. Genesee's Dundee brand Hefe. Bought a case to session terminating in a human volcanic condition. From the bottom up if you will....

29. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,188) Mar 18, 2010 California

Ghost Face Killah gave me instant hiccups after a single sip.

HighonHops42 likes this.
  30. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Disciple (313) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I really weirdly puked after one bottle of Mad Elf a couple of years ago. Haven't revisited it since. The thought of it still makes me feel gross. Maybe I wasn't feeling well, but I ended up with a serious taste aversion to that shit.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  31. jolleyt

jolleyt Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Missouri

I got sick after drinking a Sam Adams Coastal Wheat a few years back. Turned out I had a stomach bug that was going around, but I never drank another one. Aside from the fact that it was a terrible beer, experiencing it in reverse made sure I'd never get one again.

32. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (463) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I can't say that has ever happened to me. Wine has given me some headaches while Whiskey makes me sleep like a baby. Beer, provided that I haven't consumed too much, always make me feel like a million bucks in the morning. I haven't gotten sick from beer.

33. apollokim

apollokim Initiate (136) May 31, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

For reasons I can't explain, Rolling Rock always made me queasy. My mom would stock her fridge with it whenever we were having a gathering at her house because my brothers and I liked "fancy" beer. A few sips would make my stomach churn. Mom has since learned that it's best if we bring our own beer.

34. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,016) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Never drink a 1/2 gallon of cheap vodka in an hour when your 17 years old and weigh only 125 lbs. Lucky to be alive today to tell the story although I'm sure it knocked a few years off my life expectancy somehow.

Anyway back to beer related subject matter, well I know a guy who says Bud light and Bud give him splitting headaches shortly after having his first one. Not sure what that is about.

For myself, hoppy IPAs before bed give me heartburn in the middle of the night. I don't notice that with other beers.

35. TooGood

TooGood Defender (665) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

A few weeks back I had a burger and fries at Town Hall Brewery with a Massala Mama IPA, everything was great. Went across the street to Republic and ordered a flight consisting of The Duchess Bourgogne, Rodenbach grand cru, and two others. I drank the duchess and grand cru first and within 5 minutes was puking my guts out.....don't know if it was a bad burger or drinking those two back to back.

36. Seanhand_atl

Seanhand_atl Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2014 Georgia

I drank a love child no4, prairie bomb!(orange wax), Dragons milk with toasted chilies, and saison du buff from dogfish head with 2 friends a couple weekends ago. Threw up a bit later on in the night, pretty sure the last beer of the night I had did it in for me, was a local serrano ipa from an atlanta brewery Monday Night. Had to leave the friends house shortly after that one, thankfully my gf's place was only 5-6 mins away.

37. Derranged

Derranged Devotee (479) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I once had a Mac Queen's Nessie that was at least 4 years old (I had a bottle of the 7.3abv recipe in 2012, which was actually discontinued in 2008). http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/1831/ This isn't exactly a beer that would age well. It tasted ok.

About 33 hours after drinking this beer, I had horrible food poisoning symptoms for 24 hours. Vomiting, stomach pain, fever, weakness, etc. I think I slept on and off for a total of 20 hours.

I even made a thread about this way back when. Now of course, that could have been a stomach flu, totally unrelated to the beer. However, it seems like pretty big coincidence.

38. Professor_Yeesh

Professor_Yeesh Aspirant (269) Aug 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

As a matter of fact, yes. A few months ago I drank an Ommegang Brewery - Game of Thrones special release beer: "Take the Black Stout." I woke up in the middle of the night with extreme nausea. Surprisingly, I only had disgust for the beer as I could still taste it several hours later :/ In my opinion, it ruined stouts for me as I have not had one since. Maybe I was expecting something else.

39. DegenErik

DegenErik Aspirant (274) Apr 9, 2014 Serbia
    Beer Trader

Thrown up only one time. After i drank about 10 Master Beers (it's one of the worst kinds in Serbia).

40. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (838) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I wouldnt say made me sick, but both times I have drank a New Glarus fruit beer I have felt terrible after, and it gave me the shits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.