Has anyone heard of Beerdrop?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by traction, Sep 15, 2020.

1. traction

traction Defender (604) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Anyone ever heard of the site Beerdrop? It looks to me like some kind of knockoff Tavour that ships to more states. I got a badge earlier on Untappd that gave me a $10 off coupon so I was thinking of grabbing one box just to check it out but I would love to hear some input before I do. I think these guys may be affiliated with Untappd but I'm not positive on that. Beerdrop.com is the URL for anyone to lazy to Google

snaotheus likes this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,890) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Let alone anyone too lazy to include two Os in “too” or end their sentence with a period. :wink:

KRug, officerbill, SILVER and 14 others like this.
  3. traction

Society Trader

I haven't come across a grammar Nazi since back in Stalingrad! :sunglasses:

On a more serious note it turns out that alcohol occasionally inhibits my spelling, grammar, and or punctuation. If auto-correct didn't exist Todd would probably ban me because all my posts would be incomprehensible.

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,568) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, since UT and BA are owned by the same folks, if there were an affiliation, I'm sure we would have seen an official notice.

Junior likes this.
  5. traction

Society Trader

I'm sure this is something @Todd could address; I just assumed a possible relationship due to the coupon code for the site coming directly from untappd. I can see it going either way where the BA/Untappd folks independent or on the other hand being affiliated with Beerdrop and not been announced. I know there were a lot of complaints from people (including myself) that when Untappd first starting selling tasting boxes lots of states couldn't participate. It looks like Beerdrop ships damn near anywhere. Obviously this is all just guesswork I have no behind the scenes insight. Just because we haven't heard an announcement yet doesn't mean one isn't forthcoming.

I never even heard of the company until a couple of hours ago.

#5 traction, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. draheim

Society

On the other hand, I submit to you rule 9 in the BA forums Code of Conduct:

9. Please do not attempt to sell or trade any products or services in our community. This rule also extends to giveaways and competitions. Trading beer is allowed, but it is restricted to our Trading forums and private discussions.

I don’t know if this applies to products or services from which BA directly or indirectly benefits (common sense tells me no), but this is a policy of the website.

beertunes likes this.
  7. traction

Society Trader

Depending when this was written I would argue "this community" is limited to BA rather than Untappd and any other possible affiliated organizations. Since you can have a Beerdrop or Untappd account without even having a BA account I don't see how they could make a legitimate case it is all the same community (Just in case it isn't very obvious IANAL)

8. draheim

Society

Sure but beerdrop is a service and thus if BA promoted it here, technically they’d be in violation of their own rules. But BA promotes other things (beer events, the BA magazine etc.) and of course, this being their own site, they’d be within their rights to do so. It’s an interesting question where the line is drawn, though—and I suspect the answer is wherever BA decides it wants to draw it (which, again, they are within their rights to do).

sharpski likes this.
  9. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,633) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

We haven’t gotten reports (yet) about asking us to edit typos, for the better as we could be overwhelmed. This is a fairly educated crowd, but as you aptly mention, alcohol does mess up with our ability to write.

I haven’t heard of that site anyway, until your post, maybe asking @Todd is the right thing to do?

FBarber and traction like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,568) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I'd assume those are user guidelines, and wouldn't prevent management from promoting a company owned or endorsed product/service.

#10 beertunes, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    traction, Junior, Todd and 1 other person like this.
  11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,715) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Not familiar with Brendan Behan, I surmise?
    "I am a drinker with a writing problem."

:wink:

QuakeAttack, Shanex and draheim like this.
  12. Todd

Todd Founder (6,140) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

In-app promos (advertising) happen all the time on Untappd.

https://untappd.com/business

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,486) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

It must be Denver based as all the beers appear to be locals. Great beer available on that site.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  14. BlameHouston

BlameHouston Initiate (33) Aug 21, 2020 California

A good friend got me a subscription for my birthday some time ago. I think Beer Drop has it's place, but I wouldn't recommend it :slight_smile:

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  15. jackflaps

jackflaps Initiate (31) Jul 26, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

They must have spent their entire marketing budget on Facebook ads when they first started out, because for a while it was the only ad I ever saw on there. As an ex-Fort Collins resident I almost subscribed to it just for Sad Panda, but for now I'm still Tavour-only.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  16. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (560) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

The site registration comes back to Forester Liquors LLC in Denver
    Likely they simply paid UT to pass out coupons as a promotion.

Here's their storefront
    [​IMG]

17. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,457) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

I've used Beer Drop the last 3 months, really enjoyed it.
    5 beers (2 each) per "drop". Different levels of "drops".
    Shipping is $5 flat rate (and fast).
    My August Drop I added 10 beers for a total of 20 beers (still $5 shipping).
    Tried some Outer Range that @beergoot and @eppCOS turned me on to in their WBAYDN posts over the last few months.
    Liquid Mechanics, Finkel & Garf, Sad Panda, Wibby, etc...
    I recommend giving it a try if you don't have a lot of these beers in distro in your area already.

SFACRKnight and beergoot like this.
  18. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (413) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

This is Craft Alley. Their brick and mortar store (pictured) sells a lot of local stuff that's not in regular distro--crowlers from breweries that don't package, say, or one-off 4-pk cans a small brewery that doesn't regularly package might have done thru Mobile Canning. Along with some cool things that ARE in regular distro. (been awhile since I've been in but that's what I remember.) Sounds like they're doing mail order to other markets. They seemed like smart guys and this seems like a smart idea, especially in a pandemic where more people are spending their "going out" money on drinking at home.