Has Beer increased your appreciation of wine & spirits, or pulled you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SCW, Jun 6, 2015.

?

How has enjoying various beers affected your appreciation and consumption of wine, cider, & spirits?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2015.
  1. I'm a beer guy/gal and find wine, cider and/or spirits inferior to beer. I rarely drink them.

15.8%
  2. Although I'm a beer guy/gal, I appreciate wine, cider and/or spirits, but rarely drink them.

54.6%
  3. It has widened my appreciation of wine, cider, & spirits and now I drink them more often.

27.3%
  4. I never drank wine, cider, and/or craft spirits but after trying craft beers I now drink them often!

2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Society

We live in a golden age of beer and are truly blessed. Never in our lifetimes have we had this level of access to such great beers, and in such a diverse range of styles.

But we are also in the midst of a huge craft spirits boom, and ciders are growing at astounding rates too. There is a strong argument to say that craft beer sparked these ancillary movements by turning people onto new flavors, techniques, and ethos of the small producer mindset. But a look at history shows that the wine movement in this country started before craft beer did, even if the production process for wine is much different.

Right now there is an interesting overlap between these industries - some of the most popular beer styles these days are barrel-aged beers (bourbon, rum, cabernet, sauvignon, port, sherry, cognac, etc.) and sour beers (similar to some of the sparkling, acid wines). We are also seeing some interesting hybridization of beer styles with cider. Sometimes its hard to tell if a beer is really a beer, or if its a wine, or a spirit....

I will say on a personal level that I used to exclusively drink beer, but over the years all of the bourbon barrel-aging and wild-fermented ciders and wine/beer barrel hybrids I have tried made me extremely curious about these beverages. I'm glad I acted out on my curiosity, for I found that after sampling some of these beverages, you truly can see the similarity of flavor with beer. I recently was given a Basque cider that was spontaneously fermented and was blown away by it - was on par with any sour I've ever tasted.

What about you? Did beer make you consume more of wine, spirits, and cider - or are you still almost exclusively a beer drinker?

2. Moonshae_D

Moonshae_D Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2014 North Carolina

I was never much of a drinker of wine or spirits, though I did imbibe occasionally. Now I'm pretty much 100% beer. The only time I could see having something else is if there is no beer, and that would be a sad day... :slight_frown:

3. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Meyvn (1,416) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois

No doubt. I am also an avid comic book collector and I liken it to feeling like I'm in the Marvel Silver / Golden age right now! Drinking all these high ABV brews means I can sit down with some of my vino peeps and drink them under the table while increasing my exposure and knowledge of wine (red, specifically).

4. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (298) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

It has pulled me far, far away. I drink beer. Good and great beer. Cheers!

Quaffman60 and Moonshae_D like this.
  5. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,663) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Drinking and, more importantly, reviewing beer has helped me look for and enjoy the nuances in the wines I have on rare occasions. I now actually can sometimes discern the flavors the bottle says I should taste.

Ranbot, DoctorZombies and SCW like this.
  6. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey

Beer has made me consume much less wine and spirits. But it has greatly increased my appreciation for wine. Learning how to taste and smell specific things in beer has transferred well to wine and allows me to enjoy it much more when I do drink it.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  7. SCW

Society

do you think it has done the same thing for you with food? do you now appreciate different foods more than before?

8. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,663) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I haven't noticed it as much with foods. My choice of diet probably has more to do with that than anything, though. I have done a couple of beer/food pairing dinners, and found those really interesting. Not all parings wowed me, but some did.

SCW likes this.
  9. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aspirant (298) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

I should also note a week ago my sister in law made me drink a good wine, and I made her drink a great beer (Deschutes Fresh Squeezed). She was impressed by the grapefruit aroma, but not the taste. Ditto for me. I do understand the wine appreciation thing.

SCW likes this.
  10. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Beer and only beer.

11. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,175) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Increased my appreciation (especially for wine), but dramatically decreased my consumption.

12. SCW

Society

yeah, probably would have for me as well - but I only used to drink about one glass of wine per year, and that was during the holidays! So even 2 glasses per year would be an increase :-)

Roguer likes this.
  13. rozzom

rozzom Champion (814) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I like well made and great tasting anything. Cider/spirits/wine/food of all types. However beer wasn't responsible for that I don't think.

Beer is the only one that's a hobby. Although NYC restaurants are also definitely responsible for their fair share of wallet-punishing

14. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (417) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I never was much for liquor post college, but I'm definitely drinking less wine now. I still enjoy tasting wine sometimes, but I'll let my wife enjoy the bottles we buy while I drink my beer

SCW likes this.
  15. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (457) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

I sure do appreciate them but I like the taste of beer and dont think I'll ever enjoy spirts....wine maybe tho.

16. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Poo-Bah (1,577) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

Beer has made me appreciate pretty much every liquid I drink, including tap water.

Funny story: I was at a beer and wine fest and stopped by a wine tent for an oaked Chardonnay and was blown away how young and sappy the oak flavor was. I chatted up the vintner about his and an exciting conversation ensued. He then asked me how I got into wine, and I said, "Oh no, I just have had a lot of barrel aged beers." The smile fell off his face, he walked away and refused to even look in my direction. Stay classy, wine people!

17. BeerBob

BeerBob Savant (914) May 30, 2002 Nebraska
    Society

Champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

Now that I have thought about it, the beer pocketbook model based on price no loner applies. Beer is getting pretty pricey.

#17 BeerBob, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    TongoRad likes this.
  18. SCW

Society

[​IMG]

19. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

I never much drank them. Still don't.

20. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (487) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

While I choose the third option there really wasn't one that matched my experience. In my youth I drank mostly beer - the rather bland AALs that we all drank at that time. Over the years I moved away from the BMC crowd as I aged and drank mostly for taste and food pairing. My preference was wine - mostly big and bold reds. A few years ago I was introduced to craft and discovered beer with taste. I don't drink much in the way of spirits but even there I'm looking for the taste experience or what will work well with a meal. I've tried a few ciders but have year to find one that I like.

21. SCW

Society

IMHO beer is still an incredible bargain. Considering you can get a 6-pack of delicious craft beer from a respected brewer, cold and fresh from your local store at $9.99 or less is super impressive considering all of the effort, energy, thought, and resources that went into making that happen. And there are bargain options even cheaper than that.

Phigg1102 and yemenmocha like this.
  22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,617) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

They all go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.

For me, I made the leap into 'serious' beer appreciation as a part of a wine appreciation course. After a number of single topic classes (Champagne, Burgundy, etc.) our last class was devoted to beer, and the instructor was influenced by the Michael Jackson books at the time (this was in the mid 80s). I learned about styles, top fermenting vs. bottom fermenting, and all that jazz. I was also turned on to quite a few top notch beers that were available at the time.

Interestingly, beer then turned me on to Single Malts partly due to a booth at the 1993 Oregon Brewers Fest.

The rest of it, well as @Sixpoint suggested, they all have a way of opening doors once you look at things with a certain mindset.

23. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (894) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Even back before craft beer I enjoyed wine with food. The advent of craft hasn't changed that. Never developed a taste for any type of spirits. I will drink cider when offered but it will never change the amount of beer I drink.

TongoRad and BeerBob like this.
  24. BeerBob

BeerBob Savant (914) May 30, 2002 Nebraska
    Society

I'm right in the middle of my breakfast of what you have just pictured, just opened my third can...

offthelevel_bytheplumb and SCW like this.
  25. Harlan_Pepper

Harlan_Pepper Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Indiana

I got into bourbon a little over 2 years ago. During that time period, shortages, the removal of age statements and hefty price increases eventually killed most of my interest. I still enjoy bourbon, but the scene has changed so much over the last 2 years that I started spending most of my alcohol budget on craft beer.

SCW likes this.
  26. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,533) Jan 26, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

Inferior is a strong word, but I do not enjoy spirits as much as I enjoy beer. I do love a snort of single malt or Irish whiskey on occasion, but I do not go for other hard spirits. I just do not enjoy them. Wine has always eluded me, I have never been a big wine drinker.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  27. SCW

Society

I wonder if they are going to change the definition of a "craft distiller" ;-)

seriously though, from what I understand the majority of the world's most recognized spirit labels are all owned by a few companies (which also own breweries):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...OkrSmPUb-OI1I7FtjvpAJ8A&bvm=bv.95039771,d.aWw

kennylopez likes this.
  28. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,358) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Beer is by far my favorite alcoholic drink. I never cared for wine, but I do like cider and spirits, I just don't drink much order than beer.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  29. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (534) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

Not so much wine (I went through a phase with touring Napa/Sonoma before discovering craft beer), but spirits yes. However the appreciation of spirits also has a lot to do with having a world class distillery, Sons of Liberty Spirits, in my backyard. If not for that I would not really be seeking out spirits to even a fraction of craft beer.

30. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,552) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

It made me appreciate craft beer more because craft beer is far better at being craft beer. Other than what comes out of Kentucky (for the most part, few exceptions) I am very, very disappointed with so-called American craft spirits and such. Not impressed with Colorado "bourbons", California Gin or Rum, Oregon rum, etc.

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I drink beer wine and spirits. More beer than wine, more beer and wine than spirits.

32. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (149) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I definitely appreciate wine/cider/spirits more, but I drink them far less often than I used to, just because of my love for craft beer. But the rare occasions where I do have a glass of wine or bourbon, I enjoy them much more than I used to.

This, Absolutely.

33. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,971) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Like wine and spirits well enough, and have been fortunate to have had the opportunity of visiting multiple producing valleys (Dry Creek, Russian River, Sonoma, Napa...ad finitum) the past month. Tasting multiple wines at multiple locations has enhanced my understanding of the various kinds, and helped me to better understand what I personally prefer. That said, I'm still a beer drinker. :-)

34. BWood

BWood Defender (644) Jan 4, 2015 California

I have always loved wine. I cellar wine just as I do beer now. Since diving into the craft scene I tend to reach for the beer over the bottle of wine now.

JimKal and SCW like this.
  35. Beric

Beric Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Nice poll. While I enjoy beer the most, I have been able to develop my palate overall and enjoy wine and spirits more. I can pick out more flavors when tasting, whereas before I was convinced that all wine tasted the same and most liquors were unapproachable straight.

Right now I've been getting into scotch whisky. More brewing companies should try the various barrel finishes scotch companies use. A port wine or sherry cask finished saison would be ballin'.

SCW likes this.
  36. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,971) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Been there, seen that face several times the past month. Conversely, have also met wine makers/winery owners who are also total beer geeks and the love for well crafted beverage of all stripe lives strong. Life is short. Drink well the beverage of yor choice (or moment)!

DarkerTheBetter and SCW like this.
  37. rgordon

rgordon Savant (938) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Very thoughtful post. None of the options really applied to my experience. I drank beer as a teenager, had good beer around the house (Lowenbrau) provided by my beloved Dad, which we enjoyed together many times. He loved Scotch and was just glad to be alive and partially sane after crazy combat in The Philippines in 1944. He provided me with the opportunity to travel widely as a young guy and I learned about fermentables and distillates many times at key spots of their historical development. I learned to love good beer in England, experienced great Scotch across Scotland- but mostly beer- and fell in love with wine in France. Today I drink mostly beer, but keep an array of nice Rhone wines, some Bordeaux, and Oregon Pinot Noir. My spirits these days are limited to a bottle of Talisker that on cold nights reminds me of the sea.

vurt, rozzom, frozen-1984 and 6 others like this.
  38. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (530) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Prior to this year I mostly drank wine since my wife is a big wine fan. In fact, I got started on craft beer when we went shopping for wine. I would alsways stop in the beer section and look at all the colorful bottles and then one day I figured I would try a few just for the fun of it. Since that day in early January there has been no going back. I have had the occasional glass of wine with my wife, but it is no longer the same. Good craft beer has ruined the wine experience for me

rgordon and SCW like this.
  39. SCW

Society

thanks for sharing those great stories, sounds like you have a really wide appreciation of things and breadth of experience

BeerBob likes this.
  40. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,131) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

The journey of home brewing more than anything has pulled me to almost strictly beer.

Premo88, Phigg1102 and rgordon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.