Has Founders "jumped the shark" with Mango Magnifico?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fugazidps, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Bolt Cutter was pretty good, Frangelic was pretty good, and Doom was great. Why are people bitching about Doom? As a bourbon barrel IPA, it was pretty much perfect. And that was an acclaimed beer when it was Hand of Doom and only available at the taproom.

StraightNoChaser likes this.
  2. sacrelicio

We're lucky they release any of these Backstage beers! A lot of breweries wouldn't go through the effort for a small run of high cost production beer at all.

3. Sparty2014

Sparty2014 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Michigan

Founders aint no Fonzi.

4. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

There is a much better way to handle it than insulting people. I, Too, have a problem with people feeling entitled... but onyl when they feel like they "deserve" to buy every special release. Feeling like they shouldn't have to pay $17 for every brewery's failed experiment is extremely reasonable, IMHO. (Yes, I know they don't HAVE TO buy the beer, but you get what I'm saying.)

5. YogiBeer

Yeah, they're totally doing it for zero profit whatsoever.

CassinoNorth likes this.
  6. sacrelicio

smart reply.

of course they're doing it to make money (although sometimes these small releases lose money) but we're lucky they put this stuff out when most breweries wouldn't go through the trouble.

7. mskiddo

mskiddo Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New York

No they haven't "jumped the shark". This beer is delicious, but you gotta know what you're getting into. Otherwise, yeah, you will probably not like it.

8. YogiBeer

Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of breweries are making experimental beers. Why are we lucky?

9. sacrelicio

these are experimental releases. they aren't always going to be great or agree with everyone's palate.

10. sacrelicio

because they are (mostly) beers that were formally tap only?

11. rjcoy06

rjcoy06 Aspirant (259) Jan 31, 2013 Michigan

Picked up a bottle this afternoon. I was not going to get any, but they had 2 left so I decided to get one. I haven't tried any of the other backstage releases although I do have a bottle of Bolt Cutter I haven't opened yet.

12. YogiBeer

So we're lucky that they have the ability to make more money by releasing 750's at a $13 price point? Sure, experimental releases are nice, but shouldn't they do the research/testing themselves before they release a $13 750 that gets VERY middling reviews? This craft beer world is turning my brain upside down... Isn't the point of a brewery with international distro to be one that releases fantastic, tried and true beers to a wide audience? Maybe I'm missing something... I guess.

13. YogiBeer

Also, so that I have a dog in this fight, I'm going to crack my Mango right now. I love spicy things, and Mango is my favorite fruit... so MY OPINION IS WAY MORE IMPORTANTER THAN YOURZ.

14. YogiBeer

Welp. It actually tastes like Mango, which is basically impossible... and has a pleasant spiciness. Tastes like dried mango slices coated in chili powder like they sell at good mexican markets. Would be absolutely fantastic with mexican food. Founders, please create a new line called "Food pairing Beers" and put this one in it. Mah Gawd.

15. YogiBeer

Holy shit this beer.

16. Utley12

Utley12 Initiate (117) Jun 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

Boo! :slight_smile:

17. Utley12

Utley12 Initiate (117) Jun 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

Are you in the Philly area? Possibly up for an ip trade? Would love to my hands of Boltcutter.

18. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (566) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

One persons mediocrity is another's pinnacle when it comes to taste and preference. i am not sure that you are the judge here. Taste in beer is a totally different concept than quality control and the excellence you speak of when considering something less subjective.

BMitch likes this.
  19. sacrelicio

I'm sure they "test" their new beers.

20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,413) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Exactly, anyone who sits down by himself with a 750 is nuts, split it 4 ways and your good. Mexican cake hit me the same way too. Tastes great, but a 7 oz pour is about right.

21. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I really don't know. Do you like your chili the first day, or on day three? They both have their niceties.

Hdredfern likes this.
  22. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2011 Maine

Agreed. I have two in the cellar now, and I'd love to find more. I enjoyed it fresh, and I think time will be kind.

23. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,413) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Aging does wonders with some beers I think BC is one of them, I'm thinking MM will mellow a bit with time as well, just a guess.

24. iceicebaby

iceicebaby Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2008 Michigan

Yes, Founder's has 'Jumped the Shark'. Forever disregard any release they have. Nothing more to see here folks, move on.

punkrkr27 likes this.
  25. MostlyNorwegian

No. Did they stop bottling Centennial IPA that week?

26. travMI13

travMI13 Aspirant (254) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

You can call me nuts. I called it a fun evening. :grinning:

27. Mbennett

Mbennett Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2011 New York

To all the people claiming that they are "owed" something by founders and not receiving it; I have some advice for you.

Read the reviews of the beer before purchasing it. Decide if its something that your palate may enjoy.

Founders is my #1 brewery, but after reading the description and reviews of the beer, I have decided to not pay the $15 my local beer store is charging. No one is forcing you to buy their product.

That's not so hard is it?

Dracarys and punkrkr27 like this.
  28. Bockerdoppel91

Bockerdoppel91 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

Drinking this right now..sweetness from the Mango, spicy on the back of the throat from the habanero. But to anyone who dislikes, perhaps look to their motto: Brewed for Us

29. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,251) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

Apparently that shark jumping thing happened out of the chute. According to a poster in this thread, the very first Backstage was a "cough-syrup knock-off".
    According to this thread - http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/biggest-let-down-of-a-hyped-legendary-beer.106888/ no less than 4 posters bemoaned CBS as an over-hyped let-down (and a CBH for good measure).
    As far as other non-Backstage, but apparently crappy Founders offering - http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/latest-drain-pour.97369/ no less than 4 posters classify KBS as a "drain pour".
    I blue-screened and had to reboot.
    WTF. Freakin amazing beers. Works of art even.
    Founders, don't stop! You're freakin awesome!

30. Fattmatt73

Fattmatt73 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2013 Georgia

Was able to have this beer on consecutive evenings, first from a bomber, then on tap. I was very surprised to enjoy it much more from the bottle. From the bottle it had a pronounced mango flavor and a distinct habanero burn, on tap it had no mango flavor and no burn. My question is, can anyone confirm a similar experience and or tell me why it would be so different?

31. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Aspirant (211) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

From the trade section,
    "Wound up with some extras, so I'm looking to give away 2x Mango Magnifico to 2 BA's who want them."....

"This one is closed. Thanks."

That settles it. You can give Mango Magnifico away.

32. MrOctober

MrOctober Initiate (114) Feb 15, 2005 Vermont

Nothing wrong with Reggie Jackson.

33. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (314) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Who knows, it's been months since NJ has received any Centennial or All Day.

34. MostlyNorwegian

The summer months are hard for the outliers when you got to take care of the masses in your own backyard first, and I have had no such problems being one state away from the brewery.

35. Kjanisch7

Kjanisch7 Initiate (147) Jun 26, 2013 New Jersey

I'm not the biggest fan of spice, but you need to respect this beer and the majority of beers from Founders. It's damn well crafted whether you enjoy it or not.

36. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (252) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Founders has historically made very solid beers. I've always thought that the backstage series is their way to divert from brewing the traditional styles and go in a different direction. I'd assume that's one of the reasons why they don't make these available all year round. I wouldn't exactly say that they're "Jumping the shark" just because they made a beer that is a bit out of character for them. Not all of them are going to be a winner.

37. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Initiate (147) Oct 21, 2004 New York
    Trader

I've had this beer twice and I enjoyed it very much both times. It has not only appealed to beer enthusiasts who have shared it with me but also to folks who normally drink macro beers. It is the one new beer this year that I can say that about. Glad I have a couple bottles left. Cheers!

38. wrw5031

wrw5031 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Georgia

People on the drain-pour thread just like to flex their douche muscle... A lot. It's like a thread of who can claim that they drain-poured the highest rated beer on the site.

39. DerekMorgan

DerekMorgan Devotee (420) Jan 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Really thought it was an awesome, complex beer but the only store I've seen it is charging $23 so I'll pass on having it again

40. JimGraz

JimGraz Initiate (76) Aug 29, 2012 New Jersey

I also had it on consecutive nights, though in the reverse order. I had draft on a Friday night and bomber on Saturday night. I found the draft to have slightly more burn, but I also could chalk that up to me being used to the burn the second time I drank it. It also could have something to do with the fact that I had the bomber with some home made catfish tacos with guacamole and a spicy corn salad on the side. Wonderful pairing.

I guess I am lucky, because I tend to ike a variety of things. Mood tends to drive what I drink. Rubeaus was great when I had it in the backyard playing with my kids on a 100 degree day. I certainly wouldn't have wanted Alchemy Hour for that event. However, there have been a number of evenings where I have enjoyed sipping on an Alchemy Hour, or some barrel aged goodness. Other evenings I just want something lighter and flavorful. I am unsure why some people consider this "wrong".

Everyone has different tastes and I respect that. If all you drink are DIPA's or barreal aged beers, more power to you. I find it a little strange, just as I would find it strange for someone to eat only grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner, but if that is what you enjoy, then enjoy and don't let anyone give you crap about it.

I thought this beer was exactly what t said it would be. I enjoyed it thoroughly, as did the people at the bar I shared it with and my wife the following evening when we split the one with dinner. I thought it was a nice mango burst that faded into chili heat as it rolled down my tongue and the back of my throat. Would I drink this every night? Absolutely not. But the next time we have good Mexican again, I probably will pop another.

On a tangent, am I the only one who finds it funny that many people who only like DIPAs and barrel aged beers complained about the barrel aged DIPA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.