Has Maine Beer Company Selection Gone Down in Your Area?

Discussion in 'New England' started by ThomasMetal75, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasMetal75

ThomasMetal75 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2009 Massachusetts

Hello New England folks,
    I don't know if this is just in my neck of the woods in Southern Mass or not, but but I'm noticing my local craft beer store doesn't have much Maine Beer Company brews for some reason. I went to the store I buy craft beer at in my hometown the other day and all they had was Mo. They must have had 10 or 12+ bottles of that. I used to see Pepper and Zoe. Now I don't. I've never seen Lunch or the elusive Dinner. Anyone notice the selection in your area like mine? When does Lunch/Dinner come out?

Thanks!

2. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

My local store keeps Mo, Zoe, and Mean Old Tom in stock year round, other than that it's chance to see any of their other varieties, and I'm only 45min away. But we just had a new store open a little ways away and they are claiming 600 varieties in stock so I have to make it over their soon, perhaps they have the full lineup, and some other tough to find beers. MBC is a comparatively small brewery so I'd expect selection to be hit or miss especially out of state.

3. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

Dinner is brewery only, comes out every few months. I don't know the brew schedule but I would imagine Lunch and Another are constantly brewed, they just can't keep up with demand. I for one would love them to drop the more mediocre stuff and focus on the good stuff.

IMO Mo is the only one not listed above worth buying

4. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (335) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

MBC stuff just sits on shelves around here. The only one that sell are Lunch and Another One. Mo is a great beer but THE ones I find in stores around here are usually very old. I think price may be part of the issue.

5. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

It's true even in Maine also. I think it's partly due to packaging (i.e. not flashy whatsoever), and maybe lack of hype. I don't know if they intend on remaining more or less a zip code brewery or if they just don't have any comprehension of marketing and visuals. I mean if you're shopping for beer and there is a plain cream colored label with small font reading ZOE sitting beside a bottle with a label showing a t-rex exploding from a pile a hops surrounded by fluorescent orange and chartreuse stripes which one is going to catch your eye? Leading to you picking it up and reading the description and saying to yourself 'hmm this sounds pretty good' so you buy it.

6. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (470) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

I think a big part of it is price. Seeing the little bottle sitting next to a full sized bomber at the same price or less makes it much less appealing. I have noticed a few stores that started a "craft" section carried them in the beginning but not for long. Plus my taste buds have told me that they won't drink any more of their shelf beers.

7. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Initiate (167) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Dinner is put into distribution every two weeks but they make all stores keep it behind the counter and clerks only respond to the secret password, "snausages".

You're welcome.

CGuil220, mpmcguire11, pgbond and 5 others like this.
  8. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Try Debucas in Raynham, or Muckey's in Lakeville for shelf items. Debucas the other day had 6 brands of the lineup, but I couldn't tell you the dating of any, and as others have said, no Lunch or Dinner. Muckey's will have less on hand, but usually pretty fresh. Then while in the area, stop in at Buddy's Pizza Pub in Middleboro, where they had both Lunch and Another One on tap in December.
    You're welcome.

ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  9. noob

noob Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

I am seeing more draft around than ever before... that could be the reason.

chipawayboy likes this.
  10. seanwhite

seanwhite Disciple (378) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I could be wrong, but I think it is more to do with format and pricing than the packaging. In a land full of T-Rex Hops and Muffin Top labels, a plain white label will actually stand out even more. Then you look at the price and size and move on, unless it is Lunch - then you buy it, if the truck chasers didn't get there first.

Rosinante likes this.
  11. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (146) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think MBC has some of the best bottle designs in the business. I pass them because of price and format -- except Another One, that is one good beer. I don't get the hype on Lunch.

12. AshlandNacho

FWIW I still think Another One is the best beer they make, even more so than Dinner, which is about 50% hype at this point anyway.

Cohasset and Capt_Quint like this.
  13. skleice

skleice Aspirant (284) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I like Lunch (very rare to see bottles), Another One, Zoe, Red Wheelbarrow, King Titus, & Mo. Not a big fan of Peeper. However, the price and usually finding old stock is the problem for me. The price is almost 2x the price of TreeHouse cans and is usually very old stock. (Yes I realize TH is brewery only)

Anyway, I'll occasionally buy MBC if I can find it fresh.

14. woods617

woods617 Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2015 Massachusetts

Granted, I only go to redstone and rapid, which have a decent selection, they always have at least 4 or 5 varietals. The more limited or in demand ones like another one, lunch, and any of the Beer I-III versions go pretty quickly, which is prob why you never see them unless you know when they arrive and can make it over to pick up a bottle.

15. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

The regulars sit around in Western Mass. Lunch comes and goes. Haven't seen Another One in a while. Lunch on draft seems to pop up more around here lately. I think they may be shipping to other states more, but that is a hypothetical on my end. I bought two Lunch for NYE, first time in a while since the price hurts. We are very fortunate that we have access to comparable or I would say better IPAs (Tree House, VT stuff, Maine Cans) for half the price. Makes MBC a luxury.

16. Auror

Auror Defender (619) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

The NH distributor has been entirely out of all Maine bottles for a few weeks in a row (I think 3 including this one?). Perhaps as someone mentioned above they've been sending out more draft, or perhaps sending more beers outside of New England.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  17. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (184) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

I run a shop in central MA, and we have basically never carried MBC. I like the beers, but the times I have had them, people see Mo or Peeper and just ask if we have Lunch/Dinner/etc and then buy something else.

I find the format and price to be difficult selling points.

18. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (228) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I've been told many times (NY and CT) by store owners that they often don't choose to take it from the distributor when they see it available because of the price point.

19. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (365) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hate their bottle format more than most. I'm a big can guy anyway, but they charge $5-7 for a 16.9 oz bottle, which is only a tad larger than a tall boy can. It's like they're trying to fool you into thinking you're getting a bomber because the bottle kind of looks big. If you're going to force me to purchase a bottle, give me some damn beer man.

Rosinante likes this.
  20. Jcorn

Jcorn Disciple (365) Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had some friends down from Maine for NYE & they brought me 6 bottles of Lunch & 2 bottles of Another One. I guess at the brewery they're like $5 a bottle, which is more reasonable. But still, when these are gone I probably won't be buying anymore MBC for a long time.

21. zid

zid Meyvn (1,205) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I don't know what's weirder - people thinking that Lunch and Another One are much better beers than MO and Peeper (aside from personal preference they are all really nice) or Maine BC brewing the product that no one seems to want to buy (one sits and one flies).

Cohasset likes this.
  22. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (280) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Lunch and Another One(If IPA's are your preference) are much better. Mo and Peeper are much lighter and more crisp. Good summer brews. Did I miss something here?

Psychmusic likes this.
  23. Chaaaarlieeee

Chaaaarlieeee Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Rhode Island

Their distribution footprint is enormous now. I think they go as far as Ohio and Michigan now. They spread Lunch around evenly so that why you only see it every other month or so. All the other beers are turds due to pricing.

24. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (131) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

MBC is in Charleston South Carolina too.

I still grab Lunch every time I see it, and Lil 'One too. But I'll take a Whirlpool over Mo & Peeper all day long. I get to the brewery every 3-4 months (non-Dinner days), and stock up.

Compare it to Brewmaster Jack, who mostly does the 500ml bottles like MBC...Jack's aiming for a bigger hop punch and is a buck or 2 cheaper. He's a little more inconsistent, and at their best, Lunch, Another One & Dinner are the superior beers.

But I'm sure I drank more Brewmaster Jack 500ml hoppy beers in 2015 than I did MBC's, and it wasn't close. Like others have said...all due to price, availability & freshness.

25. HeyLady

HeyLady Aspirant (291) Sep 17, 2015 New York

I love MBC beer and I have tried them all once. But the price is outrageous here in NYC for what your getting and I always pass them up for something else. 10$ for a bottle of pepper is crazy when its only .9oz more than the Grimm cans sitting next to it for 4$

26. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (197) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Brewmaster Jack is in 12 oz bottles or 22 oz bombers if I'm not mistaken. I've never seen them in 500 ml like MBC. Regardless, what I find funny is that Singlecut is in the State now and their IPA's are excellent from what I've tried. Yet they are in the 500 ml format and $6.99/bottle. I just bought one today without batting an eye. Being new and sexy helps but once they saturate the market they will need to change or they will die off as well.

27. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (326) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

Confusing Brewmaster with Jack's Abby maybe?

28. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I think it's combination of all the above. I stop pretty frequently into several stores, and except for Lunch, all the MBC beers tend to sit around. If I saw that repeatedly, and I was a shop owner, I would question if it was worth keeping them in stock. Part is due to the price - a 16.9oz bottle is $7 most places, is Peeper and Zoe. They are perfectly good beers, but too pricey.

29. soze47

soze47 Meyvn (1,181) May 22, 2010 Massachusetts

I think putting it out to more draft accounts is smart. In Boston, that is really the only time I buy them anymore due to the price/format with the exception of the occasional lunch when my bottle shop gets it in. Even now though, I pass that up for something else like santilli, mass rising, or a trip to trillium where a howler is twice the beer for a comparable price point.

30. fearfactory

I agree, been turning down the $10 Lunch bottles as of late with $7 12oz drafts around. Not much different in price til you have 2 or 3...

31. Jason

Jason Founder (8,627) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I really love what they do but what bars are charging in the Boston area is crazy, perhaps a lot of this has to do with the price coming from the distributor. Regardless, I don't order it unless I know the bar and they know the beer. Some places in the Boston area are charging $12-15 for Lunch bottles, how long have then been sitting around?

Any thoughts on this @MaineBeerCo ?

32. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Defender (684) Jan 23, 2010 Maine

It not just Boston in Portland a few stores show price per gallon and it standseems out when most MBC is inot the mid $40 and most others are low $30. MBC makes great beer but I'm hard pressed to pay their prices

33. ke_long

ke_long Initiate (47) Dec 29, 2015 New York

I just had someone offer me Dinner as part of a trade. Today is 1/8 which makes it about 4 weeks since it was bottled. Do you guys think that it is worth it or is that bottling past its prime?

34. AshlandNacho

Criiiipes! Let's keep it PG here! :-)

Jcorn likes this.
  35. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Only time I buy MBC is when I visit my in laws, they live 15min. Can't pass up $5 fresh bottles of Lunch. No longeshow stopper but excellet beer fresh.

36. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

I think it will still be pretty delicious.

37. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

To the Dinner trade person. MBC has always emphasized drink their beer fresh. I believe they stressed it more with Dinner. Just point out to trader its 4 weeks old.

38. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (208) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I have a hard time ponying up for the MBC lineup in its current format/price when there are so many other options available in stores and on tap in the greater Boston area.

Separately but related, for the MBC fans in the Boston area there is a tap takeover at Olde Magoun's Saloon in Somerville on Monday, January 11 at 5 p.m.

fearfactory likes this.
  39. Auror

Auror Defender (619) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Both can be true.

ke_long likes this.
  40. fearfactory

If it was my first, I'd snag it, then continue the quest for a fresh one.

ke_long likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.