Has Sierra Nevda started distribution out of NC yet?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raffels, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raffels

raffels Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2009 West Virginia

Sorry if I'm late to the party-searched both the regional and new release forums and found nary a clue. The reason I'm asking is after a month of so of nothing but loads of 3+ month old Torpedo, suddenly there is an overflow of 12 pks dated 6/29 at one or two local supermarkets.

If they have indeed started shipping out of NC, is there any way to tell by the ink stamping on the bottle? I know they started putting the bottled on date on the back of the label, but all the 12pks I've bought recently were only dated on the outside of the box, but they still have the Julian code and a line of very clear line of alpha/numeric code below.

Anybody? :slight_smile:

surfcaster and TonyJ815 like this.
  2. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

color me interested... I love me some fresh Torpedo and that can be hit or miss in MD

3. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (804) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Not sure, but I'd scoop that 6/29 Torpedo in an instant!

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,969) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

New labels list both breweries [top], and the date code notes the actual location - "C" for Chico, "M" for Mill River, NC [below - as noted on the SN Date Code Card pdf available at their FAQ page]

[​IMG]

5. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (331) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

The Beer Camp 12 pack is out of NC.

surfcaster likes this.
  6. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Source?

7. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (564) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Timeline below but doesn't specifically give a brewing date.

http://www.sierranevada.com/brewery/north-carolina/brewery-tour

The Facebook page shows them still installing kettles but per some Asheville connections, I've been told they have been brewing test batches of SNPA for a bit--still have yet to see anything on the shelf. Beer Camp winds up on August 3 at Mills River--going to be big and that is the "official" Grand Opening. Tap room to open in fall.Lists for the Beer Camp 12 pack are already going.

Mr. Grossman--any plans to see NC SN before Aug 3rd?

8. EConnOG

EConnOG Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 South Carolina

it has! talked to the sn rep at my store. dosent open to the public until august 3rd aka beer camp!!!! woooo.

9. jmw

surfcaster and StLeasy like this.
  10. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (170) Mar 14, 2007 California

4 brewed and bottled Mills River
    8 brewed and bottled Chico

Of the Beer Camp Across America pack

KhakCane likes this.
  11. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Well, you might :wink: Jealous of all the NC-only beers you'll get to enjoy! Cheers

KhakCane likes this.
  12. basics

basics Initiate (88) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I believe SN holds most of their beers in the warehouse for 2 weeks after they've been bottled to allow the bottle conditioning to do its work, so if it was indeed packaged 6/29 it must have just come in today.

13. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (192) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

If this is true, then their IPA's are old and not worth drinking before hitting shelves for a large portion of BA members.

beertunes likes this.
  14. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (564) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

15. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Disciple (378) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

The new 'Rain Check' is made in NC. According to the label, this is the first new SN beer to come out of this facility. Not sure what else is being made at this time.

shanebelcher likes this.
  16. shanebelcher

shanebelcher Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2014 North Carolina

Rain check is tasty

LancetherealLeader and BerBen like this.
  17. jmw

Christalmighty.
    I sincerely hope you're kidding.

Mongrel, KhakCane and herrburgess like this.
  18. PackPride

PackPride Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 North Carolina

I don't know if they've started distributing, but Sierra Nevada has set up a beautiful looking facility in my opinion. [​IMG]

Ultra-Plinian likes this.
  19. SierraTerence

They only do this on the bottle conditioned beers: Pale, Porter, Stout, Celebration Ale, Bigfoot and select limited releases (BCAA: New Glarus, 3 Floyds, Bell's). Torpedo and their other IPA's are out the door ASAP.

In addition, a properly packaged & stored IPA (bottled with low in O2, kept cold) should last a good 90-100 days before any noticeable changes occur.

KhakCane and BillManley like this.
  20. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (236) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

4 of the Beer Camp beer were brewed in Mills River, 8 in Chico.

surfcaster, sicilian and KhakCane like this.
  21. BillManley

We've been shipping beer in fits and starts out of North Carolina since March. Since May-ish, we've been slowly ramping-up and shipping more and more beer. We're averaging between 4,000-6,000 barrel per week out of this brewery now. There are some parts of NC and the surrounding areas that are getting mainly NC brewed Pale Ale and Torpedo but it will continue to be a mixed bag of CA and NC beer depending on brand mix and location for quite some time.

The date questions was answered above, but all bottles moving forward should have the new easier-to-read date on them. Chico with a C Mills River with an M.

-Bill

22. BillManley

Why thank you! I took that photo a few months back... wait until you see the finished project. This place will be stunning.

23. Sponan

I 100% agree. Simply pointing out that a number of people on this site think a huge dropoff occurs within 2 weeks on hoppy beers.

SierraTerence likes this.
  24. Sponan

I wasn't speaking for myself. I think they are fine much longer.

However, at this time 8.3% of poll respondents in another thread feel like an IPA is no longer fresh after 2 weeks. So the moment Celebration leaves the factory, these people would feel the hops have noticeably faded.

beertunes and jmw like this.
  25. SierraTerence

Leaves more for us. :slight_smile:

BillManley and Sponan like this.
  26. PackPride

PackPride Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 North Carolina

That's awesome! I should have credited you for that photo when I posted that earlier, I just did a Google search and plopped the image in here. I'm down in Raleigh, and I can tell you that we will be making the ride up there the first weekend you all open. Great work so far!

BillManley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.