Has the Australian Hop Shortage begun?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Naugled, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:45 PM.

1. Naugled

Naugled Defender (612) Sep 25, 2007 New York

I was just searching to buy a few lbs of Galaxy hops and they seem to be sold out everywhere I look. And other Australian hops seem to be dwindling as well. And oz prices are ridiculous.

Has anyone else noticed that? Or am I the last one to realize this....

My homebrewing friends won't be getting Galaxy hops for christmas this year...

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (866) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I haven't heard anything, but those varietals are DEFINITELY among the most popular ones, so it isn't surprising to hear that they are hard to get and expensive.

Personally, I waited until this week to order hops and most of the popular varietals were sold out, so I just bought 4 lbs. of varietals that I hadn't used before. This could work out well for me, or be an unmitigated disaster. We'll just have to see.

3. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (799) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

4. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

$40 per pound isn't bad? I guess $2.50 per oz. isn't terrible, but I'm just so used to paying <$1 per oz. that it seems like highway robbery.

Naugled likes this.
  5. Naugled

6. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

As with last year you'll probably be able to find them in a few months. Yakima Valley actually had piles of them when they first landed in June or July, they're just really popular. From what I've read Enigma was the only Australian hop that was hurt by poor weather and was down from last year.

telejunkie and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  7. Naugled

That's good to hear. I hope you're right.
    This past year I thought they were fairly readily available. I don't remember having any issues buying lbs when I needed to.

8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (730) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Too many other good hops out there to fixate on Galaxy, imho.

SFACRKnight and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  9. Naugled

There definitely is. I just completed a recipe where I wanted to use Galaxy and now I'm going to have to reboot. It was just surprising to see.

What would you sub for Galaxy?

10. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

They aren’t growing em in the US like they used to... I blame trump!!!!!

/sarcasm

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  11. GreenKrusty101

Which is why I would sub Mt. McKinley in for Denali :wink:

SFACRKnight and riptorn like this.
  12. wasatchback

Yet there isn’t anything quite like Galaxy...

TheHumanTorch and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  13. Prep8611

I love Citra and el dorado for my ipas. Honestly fuck foreign hops. Domestic is cheaper and gets the job done.

Naugled and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  14. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

I just swooped up the last 2017 Nelson from YVH. I have no idea how those were hiding all this time.

I think More Beer has Nelson if that’s something your interested in.

SFACRKnight and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  15. GreenKrusty101

Yes, although 2017 crop was less than spectacular, imho :sunglasses:

16. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (184) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

A local brewery, Idle Hands, has a great NEIPA showcasing Galaxy called Four Seam. They just announced last week that they brewed their last batch for a long time. They could not secure future contracts for 2019 or 2020 for a reasonable price. They said what contracts were available were way overpriced.

NorCalKid likes this.
  17. GreenKrusty101

Huell Melon is my new fraulein :grin:...gonna do some more experimenting with low alpha varieties

Prep8611 likes this.
  18. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

Just a quick check. Northern Brewer has Galaxy, I think in stock . But $30 for 1/2 lbs.....damn

19. Soneast

Soneast Crusader (799) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

lol, ok it's bad. But desperate times call for desperate measures. :stuck_out_tongue:

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  20. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

FWIW, just got my order from HopsDirect yesterday. Came in around $0.70 per oz. THAT'S what I'm talking about! No Galaxy, though. :slight_frown:

Soneast likes this.
  21. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

That's okay. You just won't be able to make cool beers. Might as well turn in your slouchy knit hat. And no more socks with your nazarean sandals.

22. honkey

honkey Zealot (543) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium Industry

For commercial brewers, Galaxy is regularly $30 a pound. That's been the case for over a year now. The thing that sucks is that Galaxy has not been maintained well by growers. It is frequently diesel-y or garlicky... At this point, that's a hop that gets more hype based off its past success than based off its current credentials as a good aroma hop.

23. wasatchback

Bummer to hear. I’ve never got diesel or garlic/onion from the pounds I’ve bought. But I’m sure it’ll happen... Nelson on the other hand has been straight machine oil more often than not

24. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

The only hops that are scarcer than AU Hops are NZ hops.

25. Naugled

You're right. I should have named this thread the the Down Under Shortage

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  26. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (573) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Yes! This a million times yes. Nearly every single beer for me for the past year that has focused on Galaxy has been like drinking diesel out of the pump until at least a month later. It gets pretty delicious at that point, but not something that can't be replicated with other less-hyped, cheaper hops.

27. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,712) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Weedy, do you think this is an artifact of Galaxy hops being planted on new land (e.g., new hop farms) due to the popularity of this hop variety? In other words a terroir effect?

Cheers!

28. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (433) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Galaxy came in months ago and was in stock by the poundful at Yakima Valley Hops for a long time. Remember, the AU/NZ corps come in a few months before the US varieties, due to Southern Hemisphere and all.

My 18 Galaxy smells great, but flavor wise its not as potent as I would expect. My last Galaxy heavy beer had hardly any of the typical character. Not bad, but not all that stunning either. No garlic or other off flavors from it.

EvenMoreJesus and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

One more.reason I stick with citra. No onion, no diesel, just musky mango for days. Nomnomnomnomnom.

EvenMoreJesus, NorCalKid and Prep8611 like this.
  30. Prep8611

2/3 the price too

EvenMoreJesus and SFACRKnight like this.