Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Have big beers wrecked your palate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ColinStClaire, Jan 6, 2013.

1. szmnnl99

Beer Trader

I agree, went drinking with some buddies and we kept ordering Fat Tire, could barely taste any flavor.

2. TychoNDC

Beer Trader

It definitely gives you perspective. I tend to selectively choose higher ABV beers when trying something new for fear that the lighter ones won't hold up. Nonetheless, I still love a good witbier or hefeweizen, especially during the spring and summer months.

3. hopfenunmaltz

I had Two Hearted at the Cafe not long ago. Wheat? Watery? Was what I thought I remembered. Was your sample old?

4. JohnnyMc

Beer Trader

I wouldn't say my palate has been "wrecked" necessarily, but I see what you mean. A current "issue" I'm having is after trying many, many really fresh Imperial/Double IPAs a lot of other regular IPAs and even some Imperial/Double IPAs don't taste all that hoppy anymore. I think my palate has just expanded a lot since delving into extremely hoppy beers is all. I'm sure the same could be said for any beer style really. I find that my palate is changing and expanding all the time and some beers I don't find as intriguing anymore while others have grown on me. I think this is a good "problem" to have because it means you're figuring out exactly what you do and don't like.

5. Rmufb71

While I have found this to be true I find if i stay away from the IPA'S Stouts and other Hammers of Beer that I can go back to enjoying a milder beer now thats not to say I will do that I love my big beers there is nothing like a Big stout on a cold PA evening.

6. jjboesen

Subscriber

While DIPAs and Barleywines may have not "wrecked" my palate, I have learned to avoid drinking these styles in succession - for example, any "tap takeover" or festival. I attended a Barleywine Festival last year; after about five 6-ounce tastings, they all started to taste similar.

7. Ravenacht

Beer Trader

Not at all, but that 08' Avery Mephistopheles Stout sure tried to....what a monster that one was.

8. JamesShoemaker

Beer Trader

I suppose it could have been. I've actually been hearing not great things about the latest batches of Two Hearted, but of course that might be BS. Watered down taste could be attributable to age.

9. ThirstyFace

I never bought into this false notion that bigger beers are better,and as such I have sought out and enjoyed for less money beers that are more versatile and less living crushing. It actually helps me enjoy bigger beers when I drink them...which I do weekly

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe