Have you considered metro or "within X miles" for place searches?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by officerbill, Apr 3, 2019.

1. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (266) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Have you guys every considered having place searches for metro area, "within X miles of", or in a map view?

There are five breweries in my metro area, but if you do a search for Binghamton you'll only find two listed. The other three are in three separate adjoining communities and don't show up unless you specifically search for that municipality and it's unlikely that someone who isn't a local will even know those villages and towns exist.

The same thing happens when you search for bars. Some of the best craft bars around here don't show up in a search because they don't have a Binghamton address.

Today I did a search for beer stores in Syracuse and many of the stores recommended on other sites didn't show up because they are located in a suburb.

chrismattlin likes this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,029) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

There are seperate search options for breweries. When you click on a state. There are headers for breweries stores bars, etc. Click breweries and all the breweries listed come up.

3. officerbill

Society Trader

I'm in NYS. Using the State search brings up over 400 breweries and well over 1000 bars, most in towns I've never heard of. This isn't helpful at all to someone passing through or visiting for a few days since they would likely have no idea how close these places are.

papposilenus and chrismattlin like this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,429) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The next best option is to use the Places>Nearby feature when you are in a specific geographic area. If you haven't used this feature yet, click on Nearby under the Places tab, give BA the okay to know your location, and you'll then get a street map of ALL of the places near you that are in the BA database. Unfortunately this cannot be filtered to just Breweries or Bars, etc. And unfortunately this feature has not been updated with the map service for over a year so that you won't get any of the places on the map that have been added to the BA database since sometime in the fall of 2017.

sulldaddy, ktr5010 and Bitterbill like this.
  5. beertunes

Trader

If you click on a brewery, there's a map link on the breweries page. Takes ya right to tha googles maps.

6. officerbill

Society Trader

Yeah, that works well to tell you how to get to the brewery, but doesn't help when searching for breweries nearby or some your route.

Within a 30 mile radius of my house there is 1 city, 5 villages, and about 8 towns with unique address place names. Someone unfamiliar with my area would not know the localities to search and a state search gives no indication where the localities are in relation to each other.

sulldaddy, chrismattlin and DIM like this.
  7. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (352) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Cool! Haven't used this before and it's super helpful. Thanks

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

OK, ya bring up a map of the area you're in. Look at the town names. In a new tab, open BA Places. See if any of the names match. If so, click.

What you're suggesting is impractical for areas with a lot of breweries. A 30 mile radius of PDX or Seattle, for example, would produce hundreds of options. Even 30 miles from my small city would give a couple dozen.

9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,429) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The Places feature previously had search capability to use Area Code and Zip Code, but they were discontinued as options for some reason, maybe about 10 years ago. Those options worked good, depending on your search needs.

In another thread about 4-6 months ago discussing better ways to list large cities on the 'large city' page, I recommended using SMSA to incorporate suburbs. An answer came back that the site would like to improve the search and map features, but it carried a lower priority than other items, even though it is a priority item.

10. officerbill

Society Trader

Trying to bounce back & forth between tabs is impractical.
    30 miles was just an example. What I'm suggesting is what a lot of shopping sites have where you can search within X miles of a zip code or have the locations show up on a map view instead of just a list.

You mentioned Seattle. Say you're in town for a few days, brewery search gives you the name & address, but no way of knowing how close any of them are to where you're staying unless you're willing to do a Google maps search for each of the 70 results.

11. officerbill

Society Trader

Thanks for the reply

Might become easier as BA becomes more app centric with GPS and mapping integration

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (352) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

The 'Nearby' feature under 'Places' that @PapaGoose03 mentioned sounds a lot like the feature you're asking for. Have you tried that yet?

rightcoast7 and beertunes like this.
  13. beertunes

Trader

If someone can't read a map on their own, then I got no more suggestions.

ktr5010 likes this.
  14. officerbill

Society Trader

:flushed:
    Jeez I'm embarrassed.
    This is pretty close to what I was talking about. I've always used the page that pops up when you hit "Places" and never even saw that on the drop-down.
    Thanks

Todd and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,173) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

One man's impractical is another man's sounds awesome!

officerbill likes this.