Have you converted your significant other to your passion for beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 2beerdogs, Apr 2, 2015.

?

My significant other is...

1. Converted

279 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Supportive

275 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. Indifferent

62 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Not supportive

26 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Fed up

6 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

Why isn't there an option for she already was a beer geek when we met? I was friends with her old college roommate back around 2007 and discovered a ton of Alaskan/Stone bombers in the fridge during a party at their apartment (this was years before either distributed anywhere near Minnesota). This naturally led to me asking the roommate who they belonged to, and the rest is history.

Attractive early 20-something female beer geeks are pretty common today (thankfully), but she was definitely a rarity 8 years ago.

2. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Thankfully, mine is a non drinker of alcohol.

3. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Zealot (532) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri

Supportive, she will try things and likes quite a few

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (829) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

My wife does not enjoy beer. I have never felt any need to convert her.

Celtics76 likes this.
  5. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

I get to buy/brew whatever and whenever I want as long as I share.

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  6. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (478) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My wife likes light porters and stouts. She also really likes sours. She mostly likes those beers due to their light alcohol content. She's tried big BA stouts, the top rated IPAs and such and she gets it, but they're not for her. We did get tix to Wild Friendship Day and she is super excited for that. She is also pregnant with our second child and has asked for Sam Smith Oatmeal and Chocolate stouts to be in the fridge when she gets home, as well as Westbrook Gose. And we are opening a bottle of HF Anna together to celebrate the birth.

7. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,205) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

Minor thread hijack:
    Since I had no challenge with converting the GF (prev post) - I moved on to the parents. My Dad's palate is pretty broad so he was receptive, but the more bitter beers I found are not his favorites. Wee Heavies were the first bees (and style) I found he liked.

Then there's my mom, who sounds like quite a few SOs described: hard sell. I've had only one success (a chocolate stout), and a bunch of failures. The best I get is her not making a face, generally. She almost hit me for giving her a sip of Allagash Coolship without warning. She does always want to try my home brews, which is nice.

2beerdogs and tmbgnicu like this.
  8. jakemn91

jakemn91 Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Minnesota

My girlfriend is a convert. She's not quite to BA status yet, but I think it's coming...

When I met her in college, she drank mostly mixed drinks, boxed wine and Bud light as is typical for students. When we started dating, I introduced her to a wide variety of beer. I tried to change her mind about what she thought 'beer' tasted like by exposing her to styles like coffee beers and fruity sours. She liked those and it just progressed from there. Now when I visit, she has bombers of this and that lined up in the fridge.

Bisco42 and cjgiant like this.
  9. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

Over the past 14 years, my significant other has gone from hating beer to tolerating my hobby. It's progress!

Seriously, though, she's not afraid of taking a sip of anything to try it out, but she would never drink a glass of any beer willingly. Her favorites are Flanders red ales and tart (but not puckering) sour beers. She utterly hates hoppy beers.

10. RJM1978

RJM1978 Initiate (83) Dec 10, 2014 Nevada

My girlfriend and I went out to a tapping of several new beers and a bottle share last night. I had already picked up a few different bottles earlier that day and as we were leaving she headed over to the cooler picked out a bottle Sucaba and Cascade and paid for them then handed me the bag. I said "Thanks." To her reply... "What do you mean? Those are for me."

Converted!

#130 RJM1978, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  11. fureousangel

fureousangel Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 California

This is an awesome thread. My wife, The CEO, doesn't drink at all. However, she rides with me to and through all of my adventures. She knows beer like anyone else and enjoys the craft beer journey.

Having my best friend being involved makes it so much more fun.

12. thgreatrandini

thgreatrandini Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 Pennsylvania

Full convert on consumption of quality beer, iffy on the cost...

The-Adjunct-Hippie and tmbgnicu like this.
  13. seabeetastetest

seabeetastetest Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2015 Texas

She likes the craft beer she doesnt like the amount of cash i spend on it though.

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  14. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (478) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yes, I should have mentioned. The cost is not clear to her, though she recognized the value of WFD at $100 ticket without me having to explain it.

15. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,190) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

The missus don't care one way or another about my craft beer world - she doesn't like beer - actually she doesn't really drink much at all, but when she does it's either Long Island Iced Teas and similar mixed drinks, or wine...

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (443) Mar 19, 2012 California

She is somewhere between convert and supportive. When we started dating in the early 90s, we would buy six packs of SN Pale Ale (still her favorite), Porter, and Stouts. Her preference is for ales, porters, and stouts and doesn't like hoppy beers. However, she doesn't go out and buy bombers and doesn't really remember many of the different offerings (beyond SN, Firestone Walker and a few others). She usually asks me to select a beer for her. Still, she goes to beer events and bars (festivals, SF Beer Week, dinners) and has no problem with me heading out every weekend to pick up a few bombers.

17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,219) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Much to my suprise, the wife stopped and picked up a couple of bottles of KBS for me today.
    She's a good woman

jakemn91, 2beerdogs and cjgiant like this.
  18. biboergosum

biboergosum Poo-Bah (12,160) Oct 28, 2007 Alberta (Canada)

Nope, and I don't really wanna - she looks damned fine for having a 2 year old toddler (mine, in case y'all are wondering), and what with her Dairy Queen obsession, beer would just be the proverbial straw, calorie-wise.

19. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (3,367) May 12, 2014 Nebraska
    Trader

(now ex)-wife was pretty manipulative and restrictive about the whole beer thing. Here I was really starting to get into the craft (I only drank occasionally before we were married and the first couple years of our marriage) and she had to go destroy it. Every time I'd walk in with a six pack she'd mutter, "now did you really need that?". It got old after awhile and pretty soon she was getting counselors involved saying I "had a drinking problem". She deduced that more than 1 beer a day was a "problem", and more than 12 beers in the house at a time was "hoarding".

We had other problems too, but that was one of them. Funny, I never said a thing about her Hobby Lobby addiction.

...I'm much happier now.

Phocion and 2beerdogs like this.
  20. 1stand3rd

1stand3rd Initiate (68) Mar 13, 2009 New Jersey

Convert. My wife loves IPAs. At a family Christmas party, we brought a growler of Kane Head High. Gave a glass to my cousin (a Coors light guy). His reaction...ewww, this tastes like a Christmas tree. My wife takes the glass out of his hands and pounds it.

When we're at a bar, she will seek out IPAs or DIPAs. The bartender often warns her of the flavor profile. She responds she's well aware and to bring what she ordered.

It's her idea to vacation in San Diego, just so we can drink the offerings or visit Russian River, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Alpine, etc

I've got a keeper.

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  21. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (295) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Not a huge fan of craft beer, but really likes the driving adventures in the old wrangler to visit new breweries.

22. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,500) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

I didn't convert her as much as I expanded her horizons. First time she came over I gave her a Zombie Dust and she hated it but now she takes her lunch break on Wed to get her 2 bottle allotment. She is also a yarn snob so we plan trips around breweries and yarn shops. I'm starting to get scared because she is coming around to barrel aged stouts.

2beerdogs likes this.
  23. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York

Score ! Wife and shared a Pizza Boy Golden Sour last night. She liked it a lot. Agreed to a sour tasting event coming up in a few weeks. Stouts, Ipas were a bust. Liked Gose too. Making progress

24. BrewlsRules

BrewlsRules Initiate (25) Mar 24, 2015 Wisconsin

My wife has a few different styles she sticks to, but is pretty willing to try just about any beer I pour. I know if she doesn't like it, it just means I'll have to finish it.

Great thing is that as long as I buy her something I know she will like, she doesn't care how much I spend on the stuff I want to buy.

25. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

tried to convert her countless times…until it dawned on me that the drinking habits of one BA are expensive enough!

26. Soloveitchik

Soloveitchik Disciple (348) Feb 7, 2013 New York

I voted for 'convert' but the truth is that she (and her family) converted me. My family does not drink at all, I never even had a drink until after my 21st birthday and I never actually enjoyed a beer until I was in my 30's and discovered real craft beer. My wife's family are big drinkers (beer, wine, spirits, 4loko, everything really but depends on the individual) but my intoxicant of choice is a bit frowned upon in their conservative republican family. So, little by little I began drinking at their family functions and then one day I discovered lagunitas sucks and troeggs nugget nectar and I realized how delicious and complicated beer could be. Although my father in law, who is a serious drinker, will not touch anything except for mich ultra his brother and nephew are big into craft so we always have a mini bottle share at family dinners. For easter in a few days I am bringing down a growler of Bodhi. My wife, who still prefers red wine, has a real taste for ipa's and stouts (but not barrel aged). We recently went to EBF together and she still can't stop talking about ithaca java power (she loves coffee forward pale ale's like wake up call from peekskill) and good morning from tree house. Good morning is actually her favorite beer of all time :slight_smile: so a trip out to tree house is in the near future.

On a side note visiting local breweries has become a nice weekend activity for us. We both enjoy going for a drive and now we both enjoy craft beer. There must be 50-60 breweries within 2 hours of us and we are slowly making our way through the finger lakes beer trail.

27. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (466) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Currently single, so no. :wink:

I tried with my last girlfriend, but she wasn't too interested. She'd try just about anything I offered her, but she never really chose to drink any on her own. She'd get Miller Lite if she wanted a beer.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  28. asparkoflife

asparkoflife Aspirant (229) Jul 12, 2011 Massachusetts

My lady totally gets it. She also loves Sours/Saisons. So it's all good when we go out and split an expensive bottle somewhere. yessss

29. WiscoTerr

WiscoTerr Aspirant (238) Feb 20, 2014 Colorado

Nope. My wife hates beer, and I don't see that changing. She'll try something on occasion and say "I understand why you like that", but also thinks all beer tastes the same.

She's come around on my habit though. I don't hear her complain much about what I spend (she doesn't ask which is good) and this morning even offered to pick up my KBS allotment so I didn't have to drive across town. Oh, and she bought me a wine fridge to store my beer.

It'd be cool to share some of my favorites with her, but it's like golf. I'd like her to play, but if she gets into it, I'll be paying twice as much.

30. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,535) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Not one bit. My daughter on the other hand is a convert and married a man with fine taste in beer. So I figure i'm batting .500.

cjgiant and Hesscabob like this.
  31. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Aspirant (219) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

The day that my fiance (in 1 month my wife) said this Lagunitas IPA is my favorite beer was close to the happiest day of my life. Nothing better than sharing a passion with your significant other (great topic OP).

Her progression was IPA, Hefeweizens: Our Homebrew: "It Takes Two", DIPA, Light Stouts and now onto sips of my BBA Stouts. I dont understand why people get nervous about their significant others loving BBA Stouts.. Whats better than sharing your favorite beer with your favorite person, thats why they come in 22oz bottles! Ching ching

leopoldmf likes this.
  32. leopoldmf

leopoldmf Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Mississippi

She likes beer enough to enjoy it greatly with me, but is grounded enough to not let me sell the farm for it. It's healthier this way.

2beerdogs likes this.
  33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,113) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Premium Trader

Checks and Balances.

leopoldmf likes this.
  34. 2beerdogs

Premium Trader

Dude!!! Great name for a couple brewed homebrew!!!
    ISO: It Takes Two DIPA

JavaNoire, tmbgnicu and Hesscabob like this.
  35. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,017) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

The best thing about having a wife that is supportive but does not drink.............built in Designated driver.

DogbiteWilliams likes this.
  36. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (656) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

My wife is supportive but prefers wine and cocktails. I feel no need to "convert" her. For me, going to breweries/beerfests/brewpubs is something I do with my brother and old friends. At 38, it's one of the few ways I can keep in touch, as we don't simply "hang out" as much anymore.

2beerdogs likes this.
  37. 2beerdogs

Premium Trader

I actually like how you said it. "I expanded...horizons."
    That's actually how I think of myself as a Beer Diplomat. Those who are already drinking beer and newcomers alike.

38. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Aspirant (219) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

Best Part: She thought of it!

2beerdogs likes this.
  39. mjk91383

mjk91383 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 South Carolina

my dog never got into beer, thankfully. her designer leash habit costs me enough as it is.

DogbiteWilliams and 2beerdogs like this.
  40. McMatt7

McMatt7 Disciple (327) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

My cats, Liefman and Professor Fritz Briem, are my SOs, and they're fed up with my craft beer hobby. I tried saving corks for a while but they kept hiding them from me. If i have people over to share bottles they hide in my room. I can't leave a beer on the table without them knocking it to the ground. If i'm not holding a laser pointer or sleeping they want nothing to do with me. I'm having a few people over to do a Bigfoot vertical tonight, should be a disaster. Worst relationship ever.