Have you ever been embarrassed by a beer purchase?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Northtexan, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revelation

Revelation Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2009 Massachusetts

See I am quite happy and proud to help support craft at my local store that has both $30 bottles and 30 pack for $10. Where do you think the store is making better margin and able to stay in business?

2. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (0) May 30, 2013 North Carolina

which beer was more fresh?

Mikus and yemenmocha like this.
  3. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

Total ripoff beer those eclipse bombers.They cost about 35 a pop after tax at my local shop.

4. krl2112

krl2112 Defender (669) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois

Honestly I could give a shit good or bad what someone thinks of my buying decisions. That's what's great about being an adult.

5. nicholas2121

nicholas2121 Meyvn (1,265) Sep 29, 2008 Ohio

Never embarrassed by a purchase, every brew has it's day.

302BeerGuy and AndyBeerGuy like this.
  6. Northtexan

Northtexan Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Texas

Honestly, the Rebel was but it was also cheaper. Sometimes I'm just looking for a cheap six pack.

yemenmocha likes this.
  7. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (0) May 30, 2013 North Carolina

exactly! don't be embarrassed about that!

yemenmocha likes this.
  8. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (226) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I felt embarrassed buying 40's of Colt 45 and Old E considering I'm not a kid anymore but why should I feel that way when this stuff tastes better than Bud, Coors Light, Busch, etc.

jsrose16 and 302BeerGuy like this.
  9. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

Only once. I didn't feel odd about the purchase cause it was f'in FBS… but the guy behind the counter made it really awkward. He felt the need to announce out loud that I was a sucker for buying "that Gerber Baby beer" two or three times to the other 2 patrons in line behind me at the register. He obviously didn't have the slightest clue about good beer since I got it for $9/4pk, but oh well, his loss my gain. For the record, I was at "The Bottle Shop" a podunk store in Madison, Indiana.

jsrose16 and yemenmocha like this.
  10. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,206) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Oh, I'm quite proud of supporting craft. I just stated that I sometimes feel weird. It never stops me from making these purchases every single week. I'm quite involved on Beer Advocate, I advocate good beer. I just feel weird spending as much on one single beer as some people do on 30. That's all.

LeRose and gillagorilla like this.
  11. Northtexan

I've never felt bad about spending big bucks on good beer since I'm usually in a craft beer store. But in a common grocery store, I rarely see anyone buying something other than Bud or Coors. Nothing wrong with that, but I felt like this guy was looking down on me for my selection when I have spent a great amount of time and money on better beers. It was just an ironic moment I suppose, nothing more.

12. Northtexan

That is weird!

13. BobJude

BobJude Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Wisconsin

I feel embarrassed with my cart full of craft beer and $2 pizza's for my kids to eat all week....someone needs to sacrifice and it sure as hell isn't going to be me.

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Kind of makes me sad that this has a quarter of the "likes" as the joke about tampons. Frankly, it's sad that this thread even exists.

Strangers will judge you every day based on what you wear, what you drive, how you comb your hair...not a whole lot you can do about that, so why let it bother you? And if it was a friend that made you feel embarrassed about something as trivial as your beer choice, then you need to seriously reconsider why you're friends with them.

DrStiffington and TMoney2591 like this.
  15. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,422) Dec 2, 2009 New York

rebel is good if it's fresh. also, no, i don't care what anyone thinks about the shit i buy. chances are, if they're looking down on me, it's because they don't know as much as i do. i mean, they must be doing something wrong just in virtue of judging my purchasing decisions in the first place.

16. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (423) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Never been embarrassed by what beer I was buying, no. Buying beer in general felt odd at first just because it was something I never used to do, but I wouldn't say "embarrassing" so much as just... unfamiliar.

The only reactions I've gotten from other people while checking out so far have been "oh, what's in this one?" from a cashier (when I was buying a variety pack; she recognized the brand but hadn't seen that particular pack up close I guess) or "hey, that's a good beer" from this random biker-looking guy in the checkout line behind me (who went on to talk about a few other kinds of beer he liked.) Oddly, these were also the only times anyone else in the checkout line has ever really commented on what I was buying at all... I guess people like to talk about beer more than pasta or cheese or cereal. XD

302BeerGuy likes this.
  17. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,521) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Trader

I haven't been embarrassed, but I have felt like an idiot. I have been to a couple of bottle shops that really put the pressure on. This normally involves the owner pushing sub-par shelf beer that they need to sell. I now follow my own instincts and research a beer before buying (not the rating, but the descriptions and reviews).

18. stealth

stealth Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Nope, I try to be efficient in choosing who/what I give a fuck about than to worry about wasting one on the guy next to me who is looking at my purchase.

dianimal likes this.
  19. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

I agree but don't you feel a little uneasy when you see people buy corona, bud and heineken? :grinning:

I get that way somtimes... haha

20. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

Not embarrassing, but its always fun when the clerk tries to get a price check on a beer, because they cant believe a single 12oz bottle can cost around ten dollars (Thanks Prairie)...especially with SWMBO standing right there nodding in agreement.

21. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (2,701) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland

I bought a fucking can of Axe Head one time.

What is this 'embarrassment' you people speak of?

302BeerGuy and gillagorilla like this.
  22. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Ohio

Never been embarrassed by a beer purchase, but sometimes when I glance at my FedEx account history

gillagorilla likes this.
  23. Rootscipio

Rootscipio Zealot (587) Jun 13, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I love Founders, but not all day Ipa. It's been awhile since I have had either, but i might rather have a rebel than a all day. especially at $7 a sixer if they are fresh.

#63 Rootscipio, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    gillagorilla likes this.
  24. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California

I'm a dog owner. Those types of things don't get a second thought.

SixThousandDollars likes this.
  25. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

Probably when my buddy asked me to pick him up a 30 pack of Keystone Light while I was at the liquor store.

26. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (7,675) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

If I want to buy some Macro stuff to crush with my softball team, I make sure to buy at a place I rarely frequent. Or sometimes I stand outside the store and convince frat boys to buy it for me.

AndyBeerGuy likes this.
  27. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I get embarrassed just watching other people buy crap beer at the shops I go to.

28. Roguer

Roguer Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia

I've been embarrassed by many purchases, usually involving the cleaning, maintenance, or protection of various regions of the body (mine, or someone else's). Never beer, though. :flushed:

gopens44 and JayORear like this.
  29. Kanger

Kanger Devotee (499) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Or ordering the only BMC tap at a good beer bar...

30. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Disciple (352) May 7, 2014 Florida

I felt embarrassed spending $30 on a beer I later found for $22...

31. craftaholic

craftaholic Crusader (717) Jun 14, 2009 New York

I buy 30 racks of PBR for a day of skiing like a badge of honor brother

302BeerGuy likes this.
  32. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (304) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

We used to sit outside of grocery stores in high school and offer guys $5 to buy us booze. The usual order was a 30 pack of Busch and some mad dog 20/20. That was embarrassing.

gopens44 likes this.
  33. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I'm embarrassed to have read this post.

302BeerGuy and turbotype like this.
  34. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania

Dude was a straight up douche if was in fact smirking at you buying the rebel...even if it was something bmc or even wine coolers I still wouldn't judge anyone for what they are buying or drinking...people need to get the f off their high horse and worry about themselves, so sick of the "I can't believe you would drink that piss water" type comments...you're not that cool.

JLaw55, Pantalones and 302BeerGuy like this.
  35. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

HA! Been there. I think it is the "cheapest vodka ya got" in combination with the cart full of awesome beer that embarrasses me a bit.

36. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois

Ive never been embarrassed, but I was buying for a party once and asked my beer guy where the Redds was. He gave me a very funny look till he realized it wasnt for me.

37. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

Never for the beer, but maybe for the over pricing of the beer.

38. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Illinois

I had a cashier ring up two 750s, look at the total and ask me if they were beer. When I said yes, the cashier rolled her eyes. I was slightly embarrassed and almost felt like I should have apologized for not being poor.

39. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Meyvn (1,482) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado

Right? I mean, they barely even serve that stuff in Boston bars anymore.

ZebraCakez likes this.
  40. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poo-Bah (2,439) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

Nope, never been embarrassed by a purchase. Shocked myself sometimes when I get to the register, but never embarrassed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.