Have you ever had a beer with someone famous?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NeroFiddled, Jun 19, 2022.

1. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,271) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've had a few beers with a lot of famous beer guys but never with someone otherwise famous. Who did you meet? What did you drink? What did you talk about?

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,050) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Tomme poured my serpents stout at GABF. Does that count?
    Otherwise no, I haven't.
    But, if I could have a beer with any famous person it would have to be Dylan Thomas.
    Historical figure? Thomas Aquinas.

3. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (620) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

In fact I've had a beer with a former prime minister, more than once. First part of the 90's we lived quite near the city center, and I went to a local pub where he came for one beer regularly, both living there and having another (top) job in the area. Very down to earth guy!

Junior, Roy_Hobbs, SABERG and 15 others like this.
  4. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,272) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Craig T Nelson back in the mid 90s over a cigarette and some AAL while his SO was getting some medical tests(?). I think the cigarette he offered was something more interesting than the customary Busch Latte, maybe Coors. Same with Emilio Estevez around the same time period filming in the area. There was also John Denver and Kenny Rodgers but their fame was very faded by that time.

Junior, Roy_Hobbs, TrojanRB and 14 others like this.
  5. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Meyvn (1,138) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania

This is a great question and I look forward to the answers and stories.

My answer, unfortunately is, "No."

But when voting I consider the question, "Could I sit down and have a beer with this candidate?" So far I haven't been able to have beer with anyone I've voted for, which I guess means this questions hasn't proved the method invalid. Or...it could mean my selection method is the reason we complain about most politicians...Cheers!

woemad, oneeye, DrOfGolf and 5 others like this.
  6. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,357) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

I had several beers with the Subdudes in the early '90's. We also played pool, just passing the time as their show was rained out. They enjoyed a joke I told about missionaries traveling through the Amazon and captured by headhunters, who were given their choice of death knowing their skins would be used for canoes.
    "Let's see you make a canoe out of that!!"

Do the Subdudes count?

mschrei, woemad, oneeye and 9 others like this.
  7. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,353) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Had a drink with Michael Ondaatje before he gave a talk in Houston (he wrote The English Patient). We happened to be at the same cafe before his talk, which I was going to anyway. Was the only one that got all my books signed (Anil's Ghost, Warlight, The English Patient, Divisadero), which was at the cafe. Everyone else was limited to two and you had to wait in line :slight_smile:

I had a local Pilsner, he had a coffee.

8. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (954) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Many times with Michel Notredame(RIP) and Jim Andersen. Both are beer guys so I guess that does not qualify.

Only other brushes have been

Joey Ramone at City Gardens was at the bar before a show but was left alone, was not going to be that dick.

Mark Arm walked into the Khyber but ended up leaving as he was smothered as he walked in.

Shane Macgowen was drinking at the bar of the Chestnut Cabaret when I walked in to buy tickets for the show. I asked for a drink as well but was told no and made to leave after I got the tickets. So close.

I did have more than a few with Ramon Rivas when I was at school.

As a kid I drank sodas with Anthony Mason many times. His mom and my dad worked together. He was fun to hang with and treated his mom amazingly.

I hung out with Steve Wynn his wife and Pete Buck many times after baseball project shows. All really good folk. I had a beer in my hand.

I did have a beer at a Phillies game with Kimmo Timanen. He was like a brick wall with two beers in his hands. About broke my hand when we shook. A friend noticed him walking by and called him over. We hung for half an inning. Really nice guy. Talked Hockey.

There were many times I was 20 feet from stardom( great movie by the way)but never quite got there. I’m not really the one to start up a conversation and most famous folks I would not know if they sat next to me and said hello. I know music folks the most but not movie/TV/sports that much.

Enjoy

Junior, Roy_Hobbs, TrojanRB and 12 others like this.
  9. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,353) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

More relevant to this site, had a beer and cocktail with Garrett Oliver at a Houston bar called Anvil. He was doing a meet and greet for one of his books. My buddies and I kind of hogged his time ha :slight_smile:

#9 champ103, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  10. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,357) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

I used to stop by Buddy Guy's Legends after school and I bought Buddy a few Heineken and a Hennessey or two.
    If he wasn't on stage he would sit at the dark end of the bar or, oddly, on a stool between the bathrooms. Still a good view of the stage.
    We talked music, briefly. He was/is concerned with the dearth of you blues artists and venues.
    The longest conversation we had was after Stevie Ray Vaughan died. He was beside himself with grief and appreciated Clapton's support.

11. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,228) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I rode in a car with Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame, but didn't have a beer.

12. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (566) Feb 2, 2015 New York

My wife and I sat at a table with a large man and his wife at Elsewhere on Lincoln in Chicago in about 1977. It was opening night for Walter Horton (harmonica) at the club -- guest artists galore. After a while, surprisingly, our tablemate, Big John Wrencher was called to the stage and blew a short but unforgettable harmonica and vocal set himself. That surprised us. I had never heard of him before. My wife and I were drinking draft Stroh's, but I'm not sure what, if anything, Wrencher and his wife drank.

13. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,003) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I’ve never had a beer with anyone famous. But one day at Golden Gardens park (Seattle) Dave Matthews and I both pushed our respective kids on the same swing set. I also saw Dave Grohl in a Starbucks downtown and I once shared a car out of the city with Barney Frank during the WTO riots in 1999. That’s about all I’ve got.

14. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,024) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

One time I was hanging out with some punk rock types and Jello showed up. He made some mild beer-snob comment about someone drinking beer from a can, and I pointed out that the Ballast Point he was drinking has just been bought out for a billion dollars by the company that made Corona. He said, “A billion dollars, huh?” like he didn’t believe me. Still a very cool guy regardless.

Rug, DavetotheB, woemad and 10 others like this.
  15. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Garrett's a great guy, and I also love Andy (I think he prefers Andrew). I've had some great times at Brooklyn with them. I think Garrett's book, "The Brewmaster's Table" is an essential read for anyone interested in beer.

16. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,445) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Back in 2013, in Pasadena, I had a beer with Wil Wheaton at the Stone tasting room. He was working behind the counter serving W00tstout (of course!) and it was pretty dead. He had a beer, we met his wife, and he talked to our kids for a bit. He is so nice. A great experience.

17. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

WOW! The only guy I'd want to meet more would be Ray. I really think his guitar work has seriously been under-rated. His work is genius.

Rug, woemad, oneeye and 1 other person like this.
  18. Todd

Todd Founder (6,642) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Fun fact, and seeing how Father's Day is upon us, I was able to convince Wil to write a piece for BeerAdvocate magazine back in 2013:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/8171/how-homebrewing-bridged-three-generations/

He was also on the cover that issue:

[​IMG]

19. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,779) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

One of my jobs puts me in close contact with folks of various levels of fame, but as I'm on the clock, only one of us has a beer in hand.

The author Tom Robbins is a regular at the brewery in his town about 45 minutes from mine. Had a couple with him one day, without recognizing him. After he said goodbye and left, the regulars looked at me like I was an alien. They said he never talks to people he doesn't know.

Back when I lived near Rochester NY, I would hang out at a bar near my friends house, and Lou Gramm of Foreigner was a regular. Bullshitted with him a few times.

20. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Wow, I had no idea Michel Notredame was dead. After he left town I never heard anything more. And, of course, Jim Anderson is a great guy. I remember his wife (Ann?) thinking I was some weirdo hitting on her at DBA in New York during a cask event but I was just being nice and trying to make friends. And City Gardens - wow - that's a blast from the past; I got Tanya Donnely's autograph there before a show - but I would have certainly rather talked with Shane MacGowan! - too bad you didn't get a chance to.

21. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,898) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Loads of Homebrew famous and general beerfamous people over the years. Many i consider friends.

DavetotheB, oneeye, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  22. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (954) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Saw the Dead Kennedys once, at the Blue Horizon on North Broad. Interesting but not amazing show. Jello came off as a dick. East Bay looked just like one of our RA’s. Always wanted to see a Jello spoken word show or a Lard show.

Enjoy

Immortale25, oneeye, thebeers and 2 others like this.
  23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,164) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

No, although I'm still waiting for a chance to get a beer with @Todd.

Rug, Roy_Hobbs, TrojanRB and 9 others like this.
  24. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I've had a beer with Todd. He tried to trick me into thinking that he was Jason but it didn't work.

25. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,003) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Having read most of his books, I imagine having a beer with Tom Robbins might not be too dissimilar to having a beer with Hunter S. Thompson. Cool story.

Roy_Hobbs, ManBearPat, woemad and 2 others like this.
  26. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,779) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Actually, he was just an average, chill NW dude having a beer in LaConner. I was new to the area, only here a few months, and we mostly chatted about where I had been and seen so far. He suggested Mt. Erie to me, and I've loved every time I've gone. Great views all around.

Oh, and about 10 or so years ago he released a book called B is For Beer, and did a reading and took questions at a brewery here in town.

Roy_Hobbs, woemad, oneeye and 2 others like this.
  27. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,952) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Used to run into Dave Witte from Municipal Waste (among others) at bars a lot when I lived in RVA. I think he might be both famous and beer famous since he's done at least a couple of collaborations with brewers.

28. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,417) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Greg Hall, Randy Sprecher, Kirby Nelson (a few times) and Harry Anderson. Famous enough I guess. Sorry I can't recall what was on the menu, too long ago.

@GrumpyGas -- if Subdudes count I guess I can count the Waco Brothers -- far too many times. :grin:

DavetotheB and GrumpyGas like this.
  29. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,864) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I shared a pitcher of Boreale Rousse many years ago with the guy who did the French voiceover dubbing for Yick Yu on Degrassi Junior High.

Indirectly, Rondell White bought me a beer at the Big Owe after a friend of mine helped him find a dry cleaners spot in downtown Montreal. He left us tickets and a concessions credit that we used on Labatt 50. He was playing in the game while we drank the beers, so I’m counting it. Really great guy by the way.

Many years ago I bought a beer for Laurel Aitken after a show at Le Swimming in Montreal. He was jovial and had a small sip before his daughter discreetly took it away from him. I don’t think he was drinking anymore. He may have been 75+. He still put on a great show. Another nice guy.

Many beers with not so famous Montreal bands like the Gruesomes, the Kingpins, etc.

Roy_Hobbs, DavetotheB, woemad and 5 others like this.
  30. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,779) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Nah, I’ve met and asked for the autographs of various people more or less famous, in France anyway but that doesn’t count as having a beer with them.

I get the point of the thread and would love to do so someday, but I’m a simple man who enjoy a beer with other simple peoples stories and banter.

31. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,252) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Let's see. Fame means a bunch of things, but...James Dickie, Erica Jong (before she was famous), Fred Chappell, Randall Jarrell and wife Mary would come to the house and drink with my parents while I had a beer in the kitchen, Leo Kottke, and more that I'll remember later, maybe.

#31 rgordon, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    redeemer, DavetotheB, woemad and 6 others like this.
  32. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,183) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Had copious beers numerous times with Grant Hart of Husker Du. I miss that guy. Had a few rounds with the band Firehose when my band opened for them. Then later that summer Mike Watt came to see us with his wife Kira (she was the bassist for Black Flag) at Raji's in LA and we tipped a few cans of Bud. Also had many beers with Roger Miller & Pete Prescott of Mission Of Burma. Had a few beers one afternoon with Barry Goudreau, the rhythm guitarist of Boston. He's even shorter than me and I'm short! He was a very nice fella and loved rippin' apart Tom Schultz. That was a hoot! I'll try to remember a few more...oh yeah in Holland I had a few scoops with Evan Dando of The Lemonheads. We were both on tour by way of the same tour agency.

Rug, morimech, Roy_Hobbs and 20 others like this.
  33. Buck_Jones

Buck_Jones Zealot (552) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Back in 2003, I saw Anthrax open for Motörhead. I was mostly there for Anthrax and I had seen Motörhead a bunch of times at that point. So after Anthrax’s set, I wandered around outside the venue killing time waiting for my friend to come out as we got separated in the pit.

As I walked past their tour bus, singer John Bush comes off the bus and asks those outside “Anyone know where Buffalo Wild Wings is??” I responded that I’d parked there and could walk them over.

They invited me to sit with them, so we shared wings and beers, played trivia, and talked about a whole range of things, none of which was music-related. SUPER nice guys.

As far as the beers themselves, since it was Buffalo Wild Wings in 2003, it was Coors Lights all around.

Rug, morimech, TrojanRB and 13 others like this.
  34. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,502) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I once had the opportunity to meet one of my favorite German punk bands, WIZO, backstage at a concert they gave together with Strung Out and Nerf Herder in Yokohama. I also ended up tagging along for the afterparty at the Hard Rock Cafe, although I'm not sure if I was really supposed to.

I briefly talked to the lead singer of Strung Out about writing songs, really nice, chill dude, and hung out with WIZO for a while as well, although they didn't really seem too keen on it. Bunch of assholes, really. When I finally decided that I had worn out my welcome it turned out that I had missed my last train back to Tokyo and ended up having to sleep in front of the subway station.

So yeah, the concert was great, but the rest of the night not so much, pretty punk though. At least I got some free food and drinks out of it.

I also saw Ricky Gervais twice at the same pub in London, but didn't actually speak with him. He was with other people and that would have been kinda rude.

Rug, Roy_Hobbs, DavetotheB and 4 others like this.
  35. billlang

billlang Initiate (17) Jul 20, 2020 Pennsylvania

Many years ago had a beer with Bill Morrissey in a small venue Club Cafe Live in Pittsburgh. A nice guy and great singer/songwriter. RIP

Affinity, DavetotheB and oneeye like this.
  36. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,779) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Does Logan Perkins, aka. "The Beer Hunter" from Three Sheets count? I got side-eyed by Florence Henderson while drinking beers at the same Las Vegas bar once, too.

I've had tons of beers with beer industry folk, but I don't know if any of them count. Pretty much every major brewer does a pile of GABF events I've been involved with, especially Rare Beer.

Roy_Hobbs, DavetotheB, woemad and 3 others like this.
  37. oneeye

oneeye Disciple (309) Feb 17, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My older brother worked in the music and entertainment business for over 35 years. He worked as a lightning director, stage designer, and part time promoter. I was fortunate enough to meet and have brief conversations with a lot of musicians and professional athletes over the years. I never really sat down and had a beer with anyone famous, but I was in many scenarios where I have met musicians and beer was in the mix.

Back in the early days of Soundgarden, I was fortunate enough to meet Chris Cornell at a small venue, City Limits in Penn Hills, Pa. He had a beer in hand but I did not. Along with Jim Martin of Faith No More we watched the band Voivod’s set. A few years later I approached him at lollapalooza and he remembered me which blew me away. I tagged along with his crew up to the field part of the venue to join in the mosh pit during Ministry’s set. The place went crazy once they realized.it was Chris Cornell.

There was this other time when my brother worked a Cheap Trick show at Conneaut Lake Park, Pa. It was a biker event and everyone was so inebriated including the band we had to help the drummer onto the stage. Once he was behind the kit he was good to go. The backing vocals were piped in and the band wasn’t even trying to pretend they were singing. It was hilarious!

I would also like to add that I am pretty socially awkward, so it takes a lot of nerve for me to approach anyone especially if it’s someone famous. I had the chance to meet Les Claypool numerous times but never got the nerve to approach him. I did say hi to him in the buffet line once after a show. Blink 182 was the opening act and we watched Primus from the vip section. They were just teenagers. That’s all I have off the top of my head this morning. Cheers!

38. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,526) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

If youre a baseball fan, andres galarraga when he was with atlanta, and Luis Salazar who played with too many teams to list, Luis also came to my wedding.

39. ShutUpLiver

ShutUpLiver Initiate (159) Nov 29, 2020 Missouri
    Society Trader

Perhaps not "famous", but on several occasions at conferences I've had a beer with leaders in my medical field who have international reputations.

SABERG, Affinity, Providence and 8 others like this.
  40. JBogan

JBogan Champion (892) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Well, I have a number of examples if you want to stretch things a bit. I worked for quite a few years at a high end Las Vegas strip hotel/casino in the Cabana department. We had a VIP cabana area and I attended to and intermingled with countless famous people. Many times they'd say something along the lines of "Hey man, crack open one of those for yourself" when I'd drop off their beers/ booze/food etc.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the guys from Kiss sans makeup and in nothing more than a pair of board shorts. Kind of kills the "rock star" image you have of them. Nice guys though.

Foo Fighters, Queen, Kenny Chesney, Justin Timberlake, Tommy Lee, assorted famous sports and movie and tv figures, you name it I've probably seen them there at one time or another. And most of them are pretty cool and don't mind sharing a beer with you. Of course being on the clock I had to turn their offers down ... but if they were still there after I clocked out then a few times I took them up on their offer.

Another time I was just out having lunch and a beer at a pizza joint in Vegas and former POTUS Jimmy Carter walked in with his (not so) secret service people, shook my hand and sat down at the table next to me. Can't say if Jimmy had a beer with his lunch though, but if he did I doubt it was a Billy Beer.

Roy_Hobbs, TrojanRB, Shanex and 10 others like this.