Hazy Days and Brighter Futures: Are New England IPAs More Than a Passing Fad?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randjuke

randjuke Zealot (596) Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I doubt NEIPA's are going to ruin the beer world any more than other style that has been popular. When they're done well they're great, but often they're done poorly just like any other style. Kind of an odd article.

OrestesMethuon, Durge and Benighted88 like this.
  2. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Never heard of the article’s author before. Read some of his twitter feed. Wow. So, he’s like a craft beer Stephen A. Smith?

“Hazy beer is BLASPHEMOUS!!”

:grin:

3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

That hazy beer is the drink of the devil!! Now get off my lawn.

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Where do you get off comparing a burgeoning style like "NEIPA", something that isn't a recognized style by most, to a beer style that's been around for hundreds of years?

festizio and AlcahueteJ like this.
  5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Enjoy them at times, too many new (poorly done) ones to try, shelf stability is my biggest complaint.

Stockatron likes this.
  6. Hoos78

Hoos78 Maven (1,303) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Not so sure about the consternation in the opinion piece. I think the reason that the movement has been so popular (relatively so amongst beer hobbyists) is that the best examples taste really, really (nearly objectively) good.

My only issue with the style is that, in my experience, good examples are maybe 10% (generous) of beers marketed as NEIPAs. Some may have the haze and/or mouthfeel, but come across as harsh, yeasty, or acrid. Frankly, some of these are among the worst beers/drinks I've ever tried.

Other bad examples are merely labeled as NEIPA on the can/bottle, but present as a rather standard (good or bad) IPA.

I'm just about done taking a flyer on a beer labeled as a NEIPA, but those I've had that are legit are personal favorites and will always have a place in my fridge.

ryan1788a5, Durge and Newport_beerguy like this.
  7. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Grand Pooh-Bah (3,248) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

This is a bad look on BA if you ask me.

8. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Coming from someone who has become more critical of NEIPAs lately, this articles still comes across as nothing but fearmongering and hatemongering. No, NEIPAs aren't killing beer, they're not killing innovation, they're not just for people who don't even like beer, etc. It sounds like the author hates NEIPAs and is mad that a lot of other people like them.

9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Those are my issues with a lot of NEIPAs. There are a lot of poorly made ones with regard to off-flavors from the yeast and hops. The style shouldn't be universally accepted as good just because it meets certain specific criteria. However, having said that, it's by and large a fantastic style with tons of stellar examples.

OrestesMethuon and yossle like this.
  10. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

Definitely gonna agree with a lot of people about this article being astoundingly biased.

And I am no true fan of NEIPAs, but what other style has achieved satisfaction across so many different palates, possibly a new gateway to craft beer for some people. Finally an IPA is tasting...accessible?

It’s almost taking to the effect of your favorite underground band. Their sound used to be raw, unrefined, beautifully harsh and took a certain type to love such an austere sound.

Once they softened up and brightened up their style, they start really taking off. And some people will start to resent that. They’ll scoff at all the newbs clamoring over their beloved once-beautifully-raw band.

As long as it’s getting people to drink more local beer, that’s all that really matters.

11. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

First of all, we're always glad when our articles generate a robust discussion and/or a thoughtful exchange. Really, we are. And while some of you might label this piece "garbage writing" (@Mongrel), find it to be a "total troll article" (@chipawayboy), or simply think it's "a bad look on BA" (@PA-Michigander), I'd ask you to remember a few things about Mr. Crouch's column. Number one, Unfiltered is a monthly op-ed, a commentary piece that expresses the opinion of the author. Everything that appears on the site or in the magazine doesn't necessarily represent the views of BeerAdvocate. Number two, this article, like much of the writing Mr. Crouch has contributed to us over the past decade, is intended to challenge popular opinion and spark debate about a timely topic. Mission accomplished. And number three, we think a bit of introspection and a healthy dose of constructive criticism is ultimately good for beer. I hardly think this piece approaches the realm of "fearmongering and hatemongering" (@HorseheadsHophead). But hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

12. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not even close, they don't have to tell people what they want to hear. This article is par for the course.

@Keene not sure its timely maybe rather late but it is very relevant. We are in pretty deep into the NEIPA fad.

And to everyone saying they need to improve shelf life the hell they don't. If you guys brew a NEIPA and it doesn't sell out fast then the beer is average or sucks. :wink:

13. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I don't think the article is really sparking any debate, pretty much everyone in this thread is commenting on how ridiculous it is. The author is challenging popular opinion, but he would have to make some good points to spark a real debate. Posting an article like this, op-ed or not, just reinforces BA's image of a grumpy old dinosaur.

14. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And taxes . . .

15. CNoj012

CNoj012 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2014 New York

"Let's pick something new and extremely popular, then talk about how it's crushing innovation and ruining craft beer. Rabble, rabble, rabble."

If it looks like a troll and acts like a troll....

16. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Regarding the fear/hatemongoribg comment — you must admit, Andy is also prone to exaggeration as his basic “editorial” style. In his recent piece on craft pricing — he talks about the “beer pricing apocalypse”. All seriousness — this is the kind of fluff journalism that I hope the new incarnation of BA Mag avoids.

17. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And death

deleted_user_950283 likes this.
  18. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

One guy on the internet says it's a fad. Another guy on the internet states that it is here to stay. What's a guy to think?

19. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

This is an important point to me. Whenever I've consumed something form BA, I've always considered it to have the BA "stamp of approval".

Maybe there should be a bolder disclaimer for these types of articles. Because when I read them, it sounds very "holier than thou", as in, this is how true beer advocates should think and feel.

20. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

After death there are still taxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.