Hazy IPA vs. NEIPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DISKORD, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Junior

Junior Crusader (715) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I may not be able to describe a NEIPA in a way that everyone would agree to, but I have tried many and know a great one when I taste it.

2. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (449) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Having this tonight—both opaque and a NEIPA — Big Smooth is the 2nd Anniversery Beer from a tiny brewery in VT that is taking the tropical/juice thing to new levels of absurdness...in a good way.
    [​IMG]

3. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (308) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

This stuff tastes really good IMO. Nothing wrong with being called hazy.

As long as the beer tastes good it has a place in my fridge.

[​IMG]

scootercrabb, GetMeAnIPA and Squire like this.
  4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (310) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I would bet my life that Sierra Nevada still used the Chico strain for this beer. I have made "juice bombs" with Chico before. Someone did a data analysis of all the Tree house beers and Chico strain was found in some of their beers. Doesn't Bissel Brothers use anchor strain?
    Not all NE IPA use British yeast strains....

5. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (308) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

There's a store that sells singles down the street from me, I need to give it a try. I'm open to anything.

spelingchampeon likes this.
  6. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (646) Mar 28, 2009 California

I really like that beer but I find it to be more hazy than NEIPA, which is also why I like it. It’s a hybrid of west coast and NEIPA. Juicy but not a fruit salad. Has some dank and citrus (which I consider more west coast than NEIPA because it’s citrus not orange juice). Had a smooth body but not chewy.

Kb024 and spelingchampeon like this.
  7. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,048) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I would argue not all “NE IPAs” are NE IPAs either.
    To me, Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Trillium, Lawsons, Maine, Grey Sail, and a few other old school versions are, but most of the newer ones (Tree House) and many others are N(new)NE IPAs or Hazy IPAs. Balance and bitterness went out the window the past couple of years whether that please anyone or not.

SFACRKnight and Jaycase like this.
  8. Prep8611

[​IMG]
    Here is an IPA I made with wheat and oats. Hopped with centennial and citra. It is normal IPA bitterness. I don't consider this a New England IPA. Also for haters no filter just a lightbulb behind it.

9. GetMeAnIPA

I agree with that and would include Bissell Brothers too. Substance isn’t really and “neipa”. Seems like more breweries are making iPas “juicier and creamier” but I also think those same beers are getting farther and farther away from what an ipa is.

A fairly local brewery is making a cereal smoothie ipa with fruit and vanilla. That is not an ipa.

WesMantooth likes this.
  10. GetMeAnIPA

I am finding myself preferring that style of ipa. Has juicy or tropical notes along with some dank. Has bitterness but not over the stop. It’s taking the best of a west coast ipa and NEIPA.

Personally find a hazy bright ipa to be the most attractive.

SFACRKnight and Prep8611 like this.
  11. Prep8611

That's why I love some dry hopped Columbus in my hazy ipas. So dank!

SFACRKnight and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  12. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Agreed. Can’t believe I forgot Swish

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  13. GetMeAnIPA

Columbus and citra so goooood!

SFACRKnight and Prep8611 like this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

Never had swish only substance.

15. WesMantooth

Society Trader

Substance, especially recent batches, lean way more toward the new fruity, yeasty, smoothie style than Swish.

cavedave likes this.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,471) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I can get over ripe mango using ro water, 1056, and a shit ton of citra. @JackHorzempa

17. SFACRKnight

Trader

A touch of chinook at five minutes, columbus and citra from flameout on. Nomnomnom

spelingchampeon likes this.
  18. chipawayboy

Trader

we need to fix that

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  19. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,156) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

"Hazy" is just another word for unfiltered. Like several others have said, all NEIPAs are hazy, but not all hazy IPAs are NEIPAs. I think it's mostly just a marketing term for brewers to jump on the NEIPA craze. A "hazy IPA" could just as easily be bad or good, though, so no one should make any assumptions one way or the other about the beer, either.

papposilenus likes this.
  20. GetMeAnIPA

M
    I think bissell does use an achor strain. I thought it was a lager like strain that would produce more esters than the Chico yeast they were using. They weren’t trying to make juice bombs or hazy ipas. I’ve used 001, 007, Conan and London 3. I’ve been able to make NE style ipas that are super hazy with all those strains. Each different and unique but fit the mold of a NE IPA or close to it.

21. GetMeAnIPA

Not much for the trade game these days. The only reason I got to try green and other NE IPAs like trillium was from your generosity.

chipawayboy likes this.
  22. Stout_Sabre

Stout_Sabre Initiate (174) Jan 17, 2015 New York

If you want your ipa to taste like juice, wouldn't you want it to look like juice too? what's not to get? i love orange juice ipas and resiny piney ipas..each has their place. bring the pulp haze and the clarity all at once

23. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (156) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

The Sierra Nevada hazy Little thing doesn't really taste like an ipa. I do like it but there are plenty better.

24. chipawayboy

Trader

you use strait RO water? no salt additions?

25. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

It's not like bourbon and whiskey because those terms have largely unambiguous and legally codified definitions, whereas terms like New England IPA and Hazy IPA are just beer geeks making shit up.

They're whatever you want them to be people, go nuts. It doesn't matter.

tanis38 likes this.
  26. SFACRKnight

Trader

More to the point, how the hell do salts add over ripe fruit flavors? And yeah, no salt additions.

27. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Why would they have to make one? NEIPA is not copywrghted or trademarked You could call any Ale a NEIPA if you cared to.

Jaycase likes this.
  28. gjk

gjk Disciple (360) Nov 24, 2013 Connecticut
    Society

I am glad that someone brought up the west coast vs east coast style of IPA's. I thought I was missing something but it seems that the styles overlap. Reminds me of west coast vs east coast rap from years back. Need better descriptors or just drink it.

29. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,351) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

And not all unfiltered beers are hazy.

Imo 'Haze sells' is the craft beer social media equivalent to 'sex sells' in broader advertising. Social media is just that after all, advertising.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  30. GetMeAnIPA

It mostly just a joke dude. Cheers.

31. GetMeAnIPA

Good to know.

32. chipawayboy

Trader

beats the fuck out of me --- I just haven't heard of anybody using straight RO water.

#72 chipawayboy, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  33. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

there were hazy IPA's well before the NEIPA craze..aka unfiltered

#73 dgmirelli, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  34. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

As multiple people have pointed out in this thread, unfiltered (or partially or lightly filtered) IPAs aren't necessarily going to appear hazy. That said, of course "there were hazy IPA's well before the NEIPA craze." There have been "hazy" commercial American IPAs for decades, although many (but certainly not all) of them were found in obscure brewpubs in western states. Certain hazy West Coast IPAs indeed inspired The Alchemist and other early Vermont IPA producers, which in turn later led to the development of non-Vermont NEIPAs. I do think the intentional efforts by breweries to go far out of their way to ensure turbid liquid (rather than allow it to develop or not develop naturally) is a recent, and rather embarrassing, phenomenon.

JackHorzempa, dennis3951 and TongoRad like this.
  35. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

McFinniganOfTheFinnigans Initiate (111) Apr 20, 2017 Maine

Photoshop

36. SFACRKnight

Trader

It was strictly a one off experiment.

37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

So, just bring me/us up to speed. You believe that brewers who cold crash and fine and use pumps and filters to clear out their beer don't go out of their way for clear beers, but the brewers whose recipes result in cloudy beers do go out of their way for cloudy beer?

nc41 and GuyFawkes like this.
  38. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (913) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

NEIPA is a style on to itself and is not an IPA.

Completely different styles.

39. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hmmm, could be you're right. I wonder how long it will take everyone to get used to it being called NEIPA?

GuyFawkes and johnInLA like this.
  40. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (913) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Never have worried much about what everyone else think. :slight_smile: