Hazy IPAs...mostly the same???

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by derftron, Nov 21, 2017.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,198) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Which is what makes 'em at least tolerable for me. The examples where there's no lingering flavor, and especially no bite, are just a waste of perfectly good tank space, IMHO.

kemoarps, sharpski and vurt like this.
  2. vurt

vurt Savant (931) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

My favorite examples of local hazy IPAs have all had a good bitter bite to them.

I don't like the ones that aren't bitter, or are too sweet, or the ones where the flavor vanishes right after it hits your tongue.

Perhaps this means that I don't actually like NE IPAs. I could live with that.

3. vurt

vurt Savant (931) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium

Exactly this.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  4. itracy63

itracy63 Disciple (378) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I don’t know how he does it, but Gabe at Anchorage Brewing is an absolute master at hiding the alcohol.
    Patterns, A Deal With the Devil, and a Triple IPA that was never packaged all being examples.

ballardbeer, ewendel and beertunes like this.
  5. itracy63

I’ve all but left 3Mags behind, which sucks because I live in Olympia. The purple beer was actually OK, their other latest hazy, Dam Mad, was a drain pour. I always thought stouts were their best beers anyway, so I didn’t really care that the IPAs were subpar, but their latest stout (the name escapes me) was terrible.

Matchless is getting most of my $ when I’m buying local. For those who pass through keep an eye out for Well 80 Brewing, their space looks fantastic, hopefully their beers are as well. They should be opening soon.

6. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (993) May 23, 2011 Washington

I really like Matchless. Their Voss IPA is one of my favorite local canned IPAs.

kemoarps, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,059) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Appreciate the recommendation and "heads up". I drive up to Woodinville fairly often now to visit the in-laws, and typically just stop off at the Eastside Club if I stop in Olympia. I visited 3 Magnets on one occasion, and was very surprised and disappointed by the experience. I like the EC just fine, but it would be nice to have some additional options to visit next time we stop by.

NWer likes this.
  8. beertunes

Trader

9. ewendel

ewendel Initiate (105) Feb 12, 2008 Washington
    Trader

beertunes likes this.
  10. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (76) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Are you talking about their Campfire Stout or something? If so, it wasn't very good. The issue issue with Three Magnets is that their beer just isn't very drinkable. Compare that with Matchless which has a large number of sessionable beers and there really isn't any reason to stop by Three Magnets for me.

I stopped by Matchless on my way up to Seattle a couple weeks ago and had some of their tap only beers. Pretty solid, though they didn't have any of their Hazy Beers on.

11. itracy63

It was called “The Magnet”, an imperial brunch stout

12. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (85) Jan 7, 2015 Washington

Had my first RiverBend option today. It's the Peach Milkshake IPA (still not sure what a milkshake IPA is). Gotta say, it was really good! Not too sweet at all. I don't know why, but I've always bypassed RiverBend's NE style Milkshake IPA's. Very impressed, so grabbed a 4-pack 16oz cans at $11. Three different fruit varieties at this price range canned in the last 30 days.

Surprised to see Fremont's 'Head Full of Dynamite' v,2 sitting on the shelves at Total Wine. Mixed reviews for sure on HFOD.

Fresh shipment of Sam Adams NE IPA at Bellevue Total Wine today (03/07/2018).

IMO, 3Mags not quite the same since one of their brewers left. Maybe it's psychological, but an IPA described with the words "carrot juice".......no thank you :slight_smile:

sharpski, 66jzmstr and beertunes like this.
  13. dphi

dphi Initiate (96) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Lactose added. I tried that peach one on tap and it was way too sweet, canned version might be more balanced?

JasonJYoung likes this.
  14. itracy63

The peach one was actually my least favorite. I really enjoyed the Hawaiian Crunk and the Mango one.

JasonJYoung likes this.
  15. rrock44

rrock44 Aspirant (299) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Posted in the GN thread. Stopped in old town brewing in Portland. Never heard of them. Really enjoyed their hazy ipa - pillow fist 4.0. Juicy with a bite on the back end.

16. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (85) Jan 7, 2015 Washington

Fresh 4-packs of Sam Adams NE IPA on various grocery shelves in Washington State priced $7.99

Thats crazy considering its 50%-60% less than other NE Style IPA's. For the average consumer, this price point would be hard to pass up. IMO, pricing will be one of, if not the biggest challenge to the smaller craft brewery's.

@itracy63 I saw that Hawaiian Crunk and really want to try it. Thanks.

17. distantmantra

I had a can of Loowit's Funky Delirious Cosmonaut over the weekend, thought it was really solid.

sharpski likes this.
  18. beertunes

Trader

I had that a few days ago. It looked like Gray Poupon mustard and smelled like Froot Loops. It did not get a good review from me.

vurt and VashonGuy like this.
  19. distantmantra

Yeah, I got those fruity notes and really enjoyed it. [shrug]

Fremont's second canned batch of HFoD is hitting it's sweet spot now, too. Didn't get any hop burn whatsoever.

ewendel and NWer like this.
  20. beertunes

Trader

That's what threw me, it didn't smell like actual fruit, but very artificial and chemichally "fruit". Plus, it looked like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Shrug.

21. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Savant (914) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

OK, guys, now this is why we need to write more reviews. A combination of Grey Poupon and Foot Loops has got to be immortalized. Good for @beertunes for the review.

kemoarps, NWer, vurt and 2 others like this.
  22. sharpski

sharpski Champion (805) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Having my b2 HFOD tonight, and while I enjoyed it, I did get some hop burn. This is something I’ve only experienced 1 or 2 times before, but since you mentioned it that’s exactly what stood out to me.

Side note: did I miss the discussion where “hop burn” is a thing? I assume it’s from high dry-hopping rates, please correct me if I’m wrong. I can still enjoy the beer, but we’re in agreement that it’s a negative characteristic/“off-flavor” in a beer, right?

NWer and distantmantra like this.
  23. distantmantra

The best way to experience hop burn is to buy a bag of hops (pellets or leaves) and put them in your mouth.

24. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (915) Mar 17, 2009 Washington

Hop burn is something I definitely do not enjoy. I feel like some people don't experience this or maybe it's at a different intensity. I've had beers where my throat was completely irritated and someone else said they didn't get anything.

distantmantra and NWer like this.
  25. Jinxed

Jinxed Initiate (110) Mar 6, 2007 Washington

Yeah I had one two nights ago I believe, and also experienced some 'hop burn'.....kind of like some pepper/spice in the back of the throat.

distantmantra likes this.
  26. Robomunky

Robomunky Initiate (176) May 14, 2015 Washington

Luckily it mellows out if you give it a little bit of time. My first can of HFoD was pretty hot. I waited a little over a week before trying again last night and it was vastly improved.

27. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (244) Oct 15, 2008 Washington

Anyone seen Claim 52 Private Eyes around Portland today?

sharpski likes this.
  28. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (208) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

i bought it yesterday at Beermongers (Canned 3/15), i believe it was $3.65 for the 16oz can. They also have a shit load of Alvarado street brewing (5 different IPAs) & Revision cans.

sharpski and beefandbean22 like this.
  29. anteater

anteater Crusader (791) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon

Looking for opinions on this PNW brew: hazy or not?

[​IMG]

30. itracy63

Kind of in between, I’ve seen several like that. Obviously, the hazeboys will throw their arms up in the air and sigh really loud. I, and probably many others, say “who cares?”

kemoarps, vurt, 66jzmstr and 2 others like this.
  31. distantmantra

That just looks like a regular old school IPA. Maybe a bit of chill haze but doesn’t look like a smoothie, orange juice or chicken stock.

The important question is whether it tastes good.

#191 distantmantra, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  32. anteater

I'd agree that its somewhere in between, I was just curious where others see the distinction from one style to the next. The beer is Sticky Hands, which I think does a great job blending the two styles.

33. ppilot

This guy gets it.

Sticky Hands is just a regular old double IPA that's done really well. Almost the complete opposite of a NE style in my mind.

distantmantra likes this.
  34. anteater

Sticky Hands has basically the same appearance and IBUs as Heady Topper, which people still call the original NEIPA. I don't consider it a hazy or NEIPA at all by the way, I just think its interesting that the definition has shifted away from that.

vurt likes this.
  35. ppilot

I don't know...I just looked up pictures of heady topper and it definitely has haze though a lot less than the Juice and Milkshake varieties we see now. As someone mentioned above, sticky hands might have a bit of a chill haze when first poured but it's pretty clear otherwise

jakecattleco likes this.
  36. derftron

derftron Aspirant (295) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

seems to me that B15 has a lot of IPAs that are somewhere in-between. not quite opaque/chalky/orange juice, but definitely not translucent traditional WC IPA. Dab Lab, IHS, etc. fall into this category. Story of the Ghost is one of the only ones they make that is DEFINITELY a hazy IPA

distantmantra and anteater like this.
  37. distantmantra

I think old batches of Blue Dot were hazy like Heady, but the new generation of hazy IPAs are something else entirely.

beertunes and sharpski like this.
  38. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,059) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

:sunglasses:
    I think you're right, and your post made me recall a funny experience some years ago (regarding old blue dot).

Back in 05 or 06, I was living in NE Portland, roughly a mile from Concordia Ale House. The CAH was an absolute gem back then, and I probably stopped in once or twice a week, almost every week. I was also a regular customer at the Horse Brass back then, which was the only place in town you could find Blue Dot on a semi regular basis (it was always the first thing I would order whenever I stopped in). I'm not sure what strings the manager had to pull at CAH, but they were able to get kegs of Blue Dot for a while (which had the effect of increasing my visits to CAH and limiting my visits to the HB). Older versions of draft blue dot were pretty hazy for the times, and in fact was the one thing I always found a bit off putting about it. It was pretty fabulous in every other way, so I happily overlooked the "problem." Anyway, one day CAH got in a batch of Blue Dot that Brittainy (the manager) told me was off (and so they were going to send it back to HOTD). I was curious as to just what an "off" batch of blue dot would taste like, and so she poured me a glass. The beer was so hazy it was literally opaque, and the aroma and flavor profile were redolent of orange juice. The beer literally tasted as if someone had dumped a glass of orange juice into an IPA. We both agreed that the beer, while not poisonous, was clearly off, and close to undrinkable.

It tasted almost exactly like a lot of NEIPA's people swoon over today. :sunglasses:

39. distantmantra

The first time i had a can of Heady Topper I thought it tasted a lot like good Blue Dot.

BeerandLoathing, vurt and beertunes like this.
  40. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (308) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

There was never really a problem getting kegs of BD, or any HoTD beer for that matter. The issue is that Alan stubbornly sticks with ancient Golden Gate kegs, and couplers are almost impossible to find since everyone else phased them out 20+ years ago. Pieces of hardware that popped up on eBay back in the day were almost immediately snatched up by McMenamin's because they used the same thing. When we opened the bar at the Station it took me almost a year of searching to finally find a functional coupler set.

It looks like Kegworks stumbled on a stash of used ones, but they're $99 per set.

BeerandLoathing, vurt and beertunes like this.