Hazy New England IPA Recipe - Mash Tips

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by joeyjoey104, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyjoey104

joeyjoey104 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2014 California

I am looking to get into home brewing & I wanted to jump right in and try to brew a New England IPA, however, I would like to do a partial mash, using half extract and half grain... Is it possible to get that cloudy unfiltered look without doing a full grain mash?

Also any recipes for a juicy recipe is appreciated!

2. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

4 oz dry hop. London Ale III yeast. All you need.

Toolarmy likes this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,953) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

There was a very long thread on this in this forum. Can't find and link it easily from my phone, but a search of "NE IPA" ought to turn it up.

4. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Yes, it's possible to make a gravy beer using extract and partial mash. You don't need to do anything special to the wort.

wy1318 or wy1098 plus an ample dry hop makes gravy beer.

5. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

I can't believe your lisp translates through your keyboard. Hazy, not gravy.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,873) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Lots of folks opine that the predominant reason for the murky nature of is the combination of generous dry hopping and using certain English ale yeast strains (e.g., 1318, 1098, etc,)

Since you are conducting a partial mash you could include the other 'variable' of using grains like wheat malt, flaked oats, flaked wheat, etc.

I would be willing to bet that the combination of generous dry hopping, English ale yeast stain and some non-barley malt (see above) will get you the murky/opaque appearance that you are seeking.

Cheers!

7. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

[​IMG]

Lukass and Capt_Quint like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.