Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

HBO & Brewery Ommegang Team Up for "Game of Thrones" Themed Beers

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by THANAT0PSIS, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

According to the New York Times, HBO is teaming up with everyone's favorite Cooperstown, NY based, Belgian-inspired brewery: Ommegang to create an initial run of four Game of Thrones themed beers.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/coming-soon-the-beer-of-kings/

acevenom likes this.
  2. kevanb

kevanb Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Can't wait!!

3. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Gimmicky, but cool idea. Hopefully this will be a gateway to craft brew to average BMC only drinkers.

4. n2185

n2185 Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Omigoshomigoshomigoshomigosh! Two of my favorite things are coming together! Beer and George R. R. Martin's work?! The only way it could be better is if the Audubon Society did collaboration beers with Founders.

Bubbalito, chianski, afrokaze and 5 others like this.
  5. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I'm personally looking forward to the label artwork more than anything. They could do a lot of really cool stuff, given all of the great imagery in the books and TV series. Ommegang has some decent, if minimalist labels; hopefully they don't screw up this opportunity.

Maxwell likes this.
  6. sullenbee

sullenbee Jan 15, 2010 Michigan

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

First beer: Blonde ale. Then what? A wheat.

8. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Ugh, I had this idea long before the HBO series for my homebrewery :)

-The Hound (sharp, brutal black IPA)
    -The Kingslayer (strong golden ale, cross between Duvel and a tripel, with honey and a touch of saffron...beautiful, golden, and deadly).
    -The Imp (a pint-sized: read, 7-8%, English-style imperial stout)
    -Night's Watch Porter (Baltic style porter, sustaining for those winter months with medium-high gravity but significant amount of unfermentables as well...lagered long and cold)

9. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

One of my favorite breweries already... I'm halfway through the first book and loving it. I wonder how many they'll try to do, since there is only like, a million characters. Ha ha. I'm all for them brewing new stuff anyway.

10. Ricelikesbeer

Love the theme and names. Just because they are gonna make it popular, it doesn't mean you didn't have a great idea to begin with :) Nothing for the bastard? or a dragon themed beer?

11. BedetheVenerable

I like where your head's at...gimme some time :)

12. seakayak

seakayak May 20, 2007 Massachusetts

For the luciously pale Daenerys Targaryen: Allagash White
    For the deviously rutting Cersei Lannister: Sweaty Betty

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  13. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Nimble Dick needs his own beer.

14. Creetoper

Creetoper Jul 7, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Blood of the Dragon: a smoked imperial red ale brewed with chilies for a touch of heat.

fmccormi, sullenbee and zappafrank like this.
  15. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I kind of wish the beer was based more on the books. What I mean is, that while I'm sure Iron Throne blond will be a fine beer, it seems they are just pairing what will most likely be a beer with broad appeal with a catchy name from the story.

gueuzer likes this.
  16. Creetoper

Beer Trader

If they did that there'd be a lot of sour ale and the black ale from Braavos so thick you can chew it.

Kuemmelbrau and Jnorton00 like this.
  17. merc7186

merc7186 Dec 5, 2010 New York

Back it up a second, you do know that we are talking about Ommegang here, right? It will be the same Belgian Yeast for every beer, which I am pretty sure is not anywhere associated with the era of Game of Thrones. Sorry, but I have little hope for these beers to be anywhere original for Ommegang...merely gimmicky.

18. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

They'd be fools not to make a wight ale.

Kuemmelbrau and sullenbee like this.
  19. Rosty

Rosty Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Can't wait to use the Blonde ale for the GoT drinking game. Every time they show a boob or nudity. . .drink. Every time someone gets their head cut off. . .drink. With just those two rules you are wasted in an hour. Shoot, one could just use the first rule. HBO loves themselves some TnA. Can't wait to see what the labels look like.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  20. Maxwell

Maxwell Apr 2, 2012 Massachusetts

I love the concept. Sure its gimmicky, but they went to Ommegang and not to a BMC for it, which is great. There is also a strong chance they do a Flanders Red for a southern beer (maybe the Tyrells?) and some chili beers for the Martells, both of which I would love to see Ommegang try. I also hope they get George RR Martin in there with the brewers to craft some of the beers, his food is always elaborately explained in the books so it would be cool to see what he'd come up with.

Bubbalito likes this.
  21. sliverX

sliverX Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

The books hold their own with the tna.
    If GRRM is doing anything other than writing The Winds of Winter he should be flayed.

libbey, gengle, Maxwell and 8 others like this.
  22. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Ouch, water out nose and all over phone. Thanks for that.

sliverX likes this.
  23. Corey76

Corey76 Mar 21, 2009 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

way ahead of 'em on the GoT label (Feb 2012) ;)

[​IMG]

Kuemmelbrau, whodeyvols and seakayak like this.
  24. Rosty

Rosty Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

The books are maxim to HBO's hustler when it comes to TnA. And if GRRM takes as long with the next book as with DwD there might be a geek revolt. He is not the healthiest looking individual. If he pulls a Robert Jordan there will be hell to pay! Just saying.

25. trbergman

trbergman Nov 17, 2006 Illinois

Hodor Half Wit (session Belgian white)
    Lysa Tully Milk Stout

26. BedetheVenerable

In response to your second, I laughed my ass off, and then wanted to throw up a bit :)

27. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

This is my only worry. I don't want a bunch of plain, "accessible"-style beers. I can't see how they wouldn't do a stout or porter, though, given a particular passage in which Tyrion drinks beer "so thick he had to chew."

fredmugs likes this.
  28. Creetoper

Beer Trader

In the end this is going to be a marketing ploy, so I wouldn't expect anything ground breaking.

29. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

Those are rad!

Mine:
    The Salt Wife (Gose)
    Coldhands (Eisbock)
    Brienne the Beauty (Strong Blonde)
    The Night's Watch Belgian Wight

sullenbee likes this.
  30. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Red Wedding (Flanders Red Ale) needs to be made.

31. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Made untraditionally with blood oranges, of course.

32. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Would you consider DFH Bitches Brew a marketing ploy? It's a pretty fantastic brew.

33. fmccormi

fmccormi Oct 24, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

Yeah I understand why people would think it's gimmicky (because it's almost impossible not to be gimmicky with set-ups like this)—but it's Ommegang. I feel like they take their products way too seriously to make something that will actually taste gimmicky.

34. jlpred55

jlpred55 Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Love this idea. I'm currently serving out of my kegerator Longclaw Pale Ale. It's feeds on the burned skin of wights and the blood of wildlings. Heartsbane Black Ale, Lightbringer Lager, and Widow's Wail Weizen are in the works. We do not sow!

sullenbee and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  35. robinsmv

robinsmv Jun 24, 2010 Florida

My Ideas:
    Ned's Red (a red ale very true to style, but with horrible head retention)
    Johns Taken the Black (a black IPA with a nod to the nights watch and the fact that the Black IPA is a bastard style)
    You know nothing John snow (a gruit from north of the wall)

36. Ricelikesbeer

Yes, but I've never had an Ommegang beer that wasn't awesome. Truthfully. They'll make a good beer, despite the gimmicky nature of it. As long as they don't get too cute and add a million weird ingredients, (which they don't seem to) they'll be fine. They normally brew yeast forward, simple beers that are all great.

fmccormi likes this.
  37. Creetoper

Beer Trader

You're right, Bitches Brew was a marketing ploy as well as a fantastic beer. I'm not saying the GoT beers will be bad, I'm just saying I don't expect them to depart significantly from Ommegang's traditional brewing style or be of anything but accessible styles (see: blonde ale). I would be great if they turned out to be stellar beers with unique takes on their styles but since it's commissioned by HBO for a current TV series I'm sure they'll be trying to sell it to more than just beer geeks.

38. Creetoper

Beer Trader

I don't doubt that Ommegang will make some solid beers that will be true to their styles, I just don't see them blowing anyone's mind.

39. Ricelikesbeer

My mind is already BLOWN!!!! :eek:o_O:eek:o_O:eek:o_O:eek:o_O

40. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Winter ales are coming.

Kuemmelbrau and sullenbee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe