headed to Pittsburgh August 26th, 27th

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by shirtless_mike, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (540) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

This will be my first time on the Western side of the state. Coming in from Indianapolis for a couple Cardinals/Pirates games. Been wanting to catch a game at PNC since it was built and decided this was the year I would hit each game in the NL Central. PNC is the only one that's alluded me over the years. Anyways. Figured we'd take the kids to the Zoo and the Aquarium but daddy will need a drink. Just looking for a list of the best bottle shops and brewpubs. I've been to Fat Head's in Cleveland and loved it. Is the Pittsburgh one better or worth the stop? Thanks for any help and the suggestions to use the search engine.

2. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

You took the words right out of my snark. J/k.

Roundabout is my favorite, at the moment. Hop Farm is just up the street, if you want a two-fer. Draai Laag is a good one, but they have very limited hours to Thursday and Friday. Church Brew Works is worth the visit for the view more than anything.

Atlas Bottle Works is also on the same street as Roundabout and Hop Farm. Not sure what you are looking for in a bottle shop though. D's and several Giant Eagles are fairly well stocked, if you happen to be in the area. Again, not sure what beers you want to pick up while here though.

The South Side is a shit-show that I do my best to avoid at all costs.

shirtless_mike likes this.
  3. shirtless_mike

Trader

I'm sure you guys get some Ithaca and East Coast beers. What kinds of beers do you guys have on the shelves that you'd recommend?

4. RblWthACoz

Standard Ithaca brews, yes. But all of the big bottle releases are not here right now. Not sure really how much they ever have been here though.

Off the top of my tired and groggy head I'd suggest:
    Double Simcoe <--- and anything else by Weyerbacher also
    Bucksnort Stout
    DirtWolf - not sure which Victory brews you get there in IN

Are you driving over? If so, where from? And which route will you be taking?

5. RblWthACoz

Derp. East End is also quite popular in Pittsburgh. Many people would suggest that one.

6. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Near the stadium is a place called The Beer Garden. They usually have some Helltown on draft. I highly recommend trying any of Helltowns IPAs or their pale ale.

7. RblWthACoz

This man speaks wisdom.

8. ejimhof

ejimhof Poo-Bah (1,902) Apr 12, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Just so we don't confuse the OP it's The Beer Market

RblWthACoz likes this.
  9. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (891) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

I think Rbl mentioned this because that's where our Fat Head's is located. While I agree that at night (specifically weekends) it's not worth your time and energy, if you can somehow make it there in the daylight, I'd definitely recommend it.

If you'll be at the zoo, Hop Farm and Roundabout mentioned above are both literally just up the street on Butler. And there are a ton of food options in Lawrenceville as well. Not sure how your kids are after a day at the zoo, but if you can put off the naps, then I'd say drive up the street and check em out since you'll be right there.

shirtless_mike and RblWthACoz like this.
  10. Stigs

Stigs Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Pennsylvania

Not a kid friendly place at all though. For beers in the stadium there is a local/PA beer stand on the first level concourse on the 1st base side.

shirtless_mike likes this.
  11. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (317) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Also the Hall of Fame Club

12. david18

david18 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2005 New York

There are some great bottle shops there as well.

13. basickness

basickness Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania

14. basickness

also urban tap

KJ2013 likes this.
  15. dbauer78

dbauer78 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

Check out sharp edge, the have 5 locations, around the Pittsburgh area. It is on the pricy side, but the food is good and they have one of the best selections of beers I have ever found in the area. http://site.sharpedgebeer.com/

16. PSU_Mike

17. Brewski

Brewski Devotee (436) Jul 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

18. shirtless_mike

Trader

Is The Urban Tap kid friendly? Couldn't find it on their site if they are or not.

19. shirtless_mike

Trader

Also, has anyone seen Wulver anywhere, recently? I'll be there in a few days and would like to get a 4 pack or whatever format it's sold in.

20. basickness

I would assume in the day/ dinner they are. But if youre in southside, just go to fatheads. Also, best bet for wulver is robinson giant eagle. You looking to do any in person trades?

21. BigRizz62

BigRizz62 Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 Maryland

Penn Brewing is also a place on should visit. Traditional German brewing style. If Oktoberfest is out, it's a must buy. Also look into East End Brewing. Church, Penn, Roundabout are within a two mile radius

22. shirtless_mike

Trader

Will do, BigRizz. We're hitting Columbus Brewing on our way to Pitt to try Bodhi. And we're for sure hitting Fat Head's. I was looking at getting a growler at East End and Roundabout. And if kids are allowed in grabbing a bite to eat and a couple pints at The Urban Tap. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks for the recommendations.

23. dannyfayy

dannyfayy Disciple (362) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Giant eagle Robinson does not have wulvar right now. I just saw it at whole foods in wexford though.

24. PSU_Mike

I saw Wulver at the Giant Eagle in Shadyside maybe a week ago. $21 for a 4pk though. I don't recall seeing it there yesterday but I wasn't looking for it either.

25. dannyfayy

Trader

$21 is a good price. Last time GEMD Robinson had it, it was $26. Its $26 at whole foods.

26. PSU_Mike

Maybe it was $26 as I doubt it would differ GE to GE. $21 stuck in my mind though. That better be a damn good beer for the price. I've never had a Scotch Ale that I would want to revisit so I doubt I'll go out of my way to grab that one.

27. dannyfayy

Trader

Yea, its pricey. But its legit. Its totally worth buying 1 bottle if you are ever near Whole Foods Wexford (they sell singles and four packs) or anywhere that sells singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.