Italy Heading to Italy.. What should I seek out/ bring back?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by SquirrelsBrews, May 16, 2013.

1. SquirrelsBrews

SquirrelsBrews May 31, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

My frond is heading to Italy tonight for a week and a half.. Other than Panil I don't know much about the scene.. I'm a big ipa guy and my friend is looking to ship home (inter.) before he returns.. What shod I tell him to seek out? Are decent brews readily avail at stores? Any help would do, thanks. : )

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  2. kot1967

kot1967 Sep 12, 2012 Russian Federation

Italy is a “wine country”. Beer on tap at C grade. In the stores a lot of standard UHT:) brew varieties. Nothing special to be found, particularly for “big ipa guy”. Tascana cigars or bottle of grappa will be the better variant, maybe;) .

3. Gold89

Gold89 Sep 26, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Absolute rubbish - Italy has some fantastic breweries although concentrated in the north. Whereabouts is your friend going?

4. miamichael2

miamichael2 Dec 2, 2009 Florida
    Beer Trader

Completely inaccurate. Tons of great beers being made in Italy - for me personally, the best in Europe.

OP - you can find some nice pubs in the major cities, particularly Rome and Milan. Not sure about shops, but I know there are some good ones (look at BA's 'places' directory). If you like IPAs, make sure to get some stuff from Brewfist, particularly Spaceman.

5. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Oct 19, 2010 California

Wrong. Italy was the hkghlight of my last European beer trip. You just have to know where to seek the good beer out. There are specialized shops and bars, and craft beer there is very regionalized. Which cities will your friend be in?

miamichael2 likes this.
  6. kot1967

kot1967 Sep 12, 2012 Russian Federation

The question is not about “good beer” absence\ or not absence, but about “availability” of craft beer for the tourist. It seems, tourist in Italy is not must wasting all his time to seek out "beer places", agree?

7. westcoastbeerlvr

Depends on the city. If he's in Rome or Milan then there are tons of amazing bars and bottle shops. If he's in pretty much any decently sized Northern Italian city then he can probably find something. In the south, unless he's in Naples, he's probanly out of luck.

8. elNopalero

elNopalero Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Look for anything from Baladin in Rome. There's spots I found in Florence and Venice with craft beer--a burger place in Florence of all places, and several bottle shops tucked in Venice's alleyways. I keep meaning to post a more detailed trip report and this is just one more reason to do so. Regardless your friend will have an amazing time I'm sure!

9. miamichael2

Beer Trader

You don't have to go far to find good beer in Rome...Open Baladin (38 taps including Cantillon, some casks) is a 10-15 minute walk from the Forum, and Bir e Fud and Ma Che Sieta is another 5 minutes from there, or about 20 minutes south from The Vatican. These places are available to anyone, including tourists, and will not take up all of one's time; in fact it really wouldn't take much time at all, considering you'd have to find somewhere to eat and drink anyways.

TongoRad and westcoastbeerlvr like this.
  10. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Great advice- I'll definitely have to hit these places up while I'm there. We will be staying not too far from the Vatican, and closer to the Tiber, so they seem to be within walking distance. I'm definitely looking for a draught experience, so thanks a lot. Would it be acceptable to pay via credit card, or do I need cash?

We will also be staying in Minori for part of the trip. I wasn't counting on hunting for any beer on that leg, and I am perfectly happy with wine, but you never know. If there is any place not to be missed I'd appreciate it.

11. miamichael2

Beer Trader

I used cash everywhere, so I'm not certain, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't take cards.

Don't really know about Minori. You'll be close to Naples and there's a couple bars there, but you'd be better off finding a bottle shop in Rome and bringing some down with you. Or like you said - enjoy the wine.

TongoRad likes this.
  12. miamichael2

Beer Trader

I only spent one night in Milan, went to a place called Pazzeria. It's about a 20 minute walk south from the San Siro stadium, west of the city central. They had a nice tap selection, mostly Italian craft, couple of cask beers. Friendly bartender, cheap tasty food. I know there are other places, both shops and bars, but I don't have any first hand experience. Check the city directory both here on BA and at ratebeer. Northern Italy has a bunch of breweries - there's gotta be a great shop in Milan.

13. Ranz

Ranz May 16, 2012 Texas

Excellent; thanks!

14. StevenSpringer

StevenSpringer Sep 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Are Cantillons available in Italy? Ill be in Venice, Florence, Rome, and Conegliano in July.

15. miamichael2

Beer Trader

Yes - had Cantillon on tap in Rome (Open Baladin). Also have heard that the bottle shop Johnny's Off License stocks Cantillon.

StevenSpringer likes this.
  16. p90beer

p90beer Jan 10, 2011 Delaware

We are flying into Naples and heading right to Positano on Amalfi coast ..... any suggestion on bottle shop to stock up on as I assume craft very hard to find in Amalfi coast?

17. westcoastbeerlvr

Both Ma Che and Open Baladin in Rome almost always have Cantillon on tap. Brasserie 4:20 might as well.

18. bigflatsbeerman

bigflatsbeerman Nov 2, 2005 New York
    Subscriber

19. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer May 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I got married in Positano still the most beautiful city I have ever been to

Srkolodn likes this.
  20. p90beer

p90beer Jan 10, 2011 Delaware

kids agreed

21. Chinon01

Chinon01 Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe