Heading to Madison next week

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by fvernon, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fvernon

fvernon Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Wisconsin

Reaching out to my Wisconsin brethren on here...my partner, myself, and a good sized crew of friends are converging on Madison for a conference next week/weekend and are looking for a couple of good places to eat, drink, and be merry.

Before you bring it up, yes, I'm planning a side-trip to NG with lunch at Glarner Stube for a few of us on Friday.

I'd love suggestions on a good place to grab food/brew for a group of maybe 12 on a Thursday evening (right now major contenders are capital tap haus, the weary traveler, and the great dane), and maybe a couple of solid bars/brewpubs right downtown.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. TheStoutHound

TheStoutHound Devotee (484) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

fvernon likes this.
  3. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (601) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Been a few years since I visited, but get the burger at the Old Fashioned on capitol square. All WI beers on tap, great atmosphere and the burger (with a fried egg!) is among the best I've ever had.

fvernon likes this.
  4. Irish763

Irish763 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2012 Minnesota

There is a cool little brew pub called the Ale Asylum on the north end of town...and another gem not far from Madtown is Tyreanna...
    http://www.tyranena.com/

fvernon likes this.
  5. Mrpickles

Mrpickles Initiate (0) May 4, 2009 Wisconsin

The Old Fashioned on the Capital square. 50 taps 150+ bottles all from WI. Very good burgers and great cheese curds.
    Weary Traveler, great food, with ok beer.
    Alchemy, GREAT FOOD (all local farmers’ markets type stuff) and they always have something interesting on tap. 6-7 taps. Get the sweet potato fries! One Barrel Brewing (Nano-brewery) is right across the street. No food there but some very good small batch brews with some good guest taps as well.
    The Malthouse, no food great beer. A great mix of locals and Belgium’s. Tilquin Gueuze is one of their current taps.

Alchemy, One Barrel, Malthouse are all within a few miles of each other and I feel like Old Fashioned is a must.
    If you hit Old Fashioned, Maduro, Coopers, Argus, Tipsy Cow, and the downtown Great Dane are all within a block or two and all can have interesting beers on tap.

Skip Capital, as any of the other options will have better beer and or food.

fvernon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.