Heading to Scottsdale....

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by tbaiza, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbaiza

tbaiza Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2009 Illinois

Alright all you Scottsdale folks. I am heading out your way next thurs. Feb 28th. I am staying at the Talking Stick Resort and I am trying to find a few good go to spots, (bottle shops, beer bars, restaurants). I will be there for 4 days and making day trips to both Mesa and Tempe. Would love to hear your suggestions. Thank in advance for your help/suggestions.

2. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Zealot (588) Jul 10, 2003 Arizona

You are close to both Fate Brewing and Papago Brewing. Hit both of them. In Mesa there is Desert Eagle Brewing but I am not impressed with their beers so far and Sun Devil Liquor. In Tempe you have Four Peaks and Taste of Tops worth visiting. Between Papago and Tops you will meet all your bottle needs and have a wide variety of beers to drink on site. For restaurants the food is good at Papago, Fate and Four Peaks but I highly recommend the Pig and Pickle if you are just looking for a restaurant with good beer. For Mexican you have Los Sombreros in Scottsdale, Los Dos Molinos and the Blue Adobe in Mesa. Blue Adobe has Four Peaks beer.

3. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

I would hit Sun Devil liqour in Mesa for sure. Pretty easy trip down the freeway from Talking Stick. It's sister store is Tops in Tempe. Although I find Sun Devil a little less picked over as Tops is right next to Arizona State University. Also, don't let the area and or outside of Sun Devil fool you, great selection with some hard to find beers. You would be hard pressed to find a better Belgian selection in the state. They are a tad pricier than most other places but you just may find something you can't find in another store.

A cheaper alternative is going to be one of our Total Wine and More stores. Good selection and guaranteed to be fresh. They do also offer growler fills here and have quite a few beers on an ever changing lineup. There is one located right off of the I-10 in Tempe.

jsboots21 likes this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,459) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Scottsdale - Four Peaks location in Scottsdale, Skeptical Chymist in same shopping center (many taps now), Whole Foods on Mayo. Old Town Scottsdale area there's Praying Monk & Brat Haus one block apart from each other, or maybe a short drive to OHSO.

Tempe/Chandler - WHole Foods Chandler, Flanny's, Boulders on Broadway, Taste of Tops.

There's Total Wine & BevMo one block apart on the SW corner of Shea & Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale. You can shop their selection online, see prices, actually go there in the morning, etc. Other than SunDevil, I wouldn't spend time in Mesa

5. tbaiza

tbaiza Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2009 Illinois

Thank you everyone for the useful feed back thus far. I really appreciate it.

6. 3frog

3frog Initiate (70) May 13, 2006 Arizona

I wouldn't spend time in Sun Devil if that's the only reason you'd go to Mesa, as they'll keep a beer on the shelf until it sells.
    Might be good for some, like the 't IJ Zatte I had that was 4 years after the 'best by' date, but I wouldn't want a Yulesmith that old...

yemenmocha likes this.
  7. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

While I agree about the "freshness" worries at both Sun Devil and it's sister store Tops. I will say that I have never had a bad experience since going to both places since 2000. Thats even after purchasing bottles with visual dust on them. Plus, you are bound to find some harder to find beers at both locations especially in the Belgium section. But I wouldn't purchase easier to find beers there mainly due to price. Those can be had at the much cheaper Total Wine and More stores where there is also a great selection and no worries about freshness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.