Heady Topper in NH/MA?

Discussion in 'New England' started by nas4atu, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (347) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Goes on sale at Craft Beer Cellar today at 5pm, 2 can limit.

2. Massbmx

Massbmx Devotee (408) Apr 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Where else is this supposed to show up? I was gonna head up to VT soon anyways but it would be nice to have fresh HT to tide me over.

3. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (347) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

All over, the other HT thread has people posting locations

4. Craig01890

Craig01890 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2012 Massachusetts

They're probably keeping tabs on MA bar and liquor store owners/employees in an attempt to keep them honest.

5. ActonBrewer

ActonBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Massachusetts

This is pretty interesting. Anyone know if Eastern Standard is still selling Heady Topper? If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Alchemist put a 2 case limit per car rule out recently?

6. ICCULIS

ICCULIS Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Massachusetts

No clue about E.Standard but they do have some killer food. The Alchemist did verbalize the 2 case limit a few months back but it's not really enforced unless they are at the end of their supply. Here is a photo of a phriend of a phriend (Hi Mike!) as his car pulled out of Waterbury yesterday:

[​IMG]

7. ActonBrewer

Good to know... We have done a few big hauls ourselves for our tasting group between HF and the Alchemist

8. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (314) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you go to Eastern Standard and they don't have Heady Topper you'll just have to settle for being at one of the best cocktail destinations in the country that also happens to have some good beers and great food.

ICCULIS likes this.
  9. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Is HT $12/4 pack all the way up?

10. ICCULIS

from the cannery the case price is either $75 or $85 - I was there in October but I forget right now. it's a bit cheaper than the 4-pak price.

11. followerofmen

followerofmen Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

6 4-packs at $12 a pop is $72. So hopefully no more than 75, or everyone is getting screwed?

12. ICCULIS

my bad - long day! that's exactly what it is - $72 a case. it's 5:55.....I gotta get out of this office.

beer me!

followerofmen likes this.
  13. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Initiate (156) Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

No. Most of the time there is no limit. Occasionally, they have a four case limit per person.

14. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

with tax and deposit it is right around 75-76.

15. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Initiate (156) Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Its $12.72 with tax per four pack I believe so around 76 for the case.

16. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (408) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

This.

17. ActonBrewer

So anyone know if Eastern Standard is still selling it??

18. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

The Bro's tweeted from the BA twitter the other day that they were drinking one, but it wasn't fresh. You'll have to look that up for yourself though, as I could be wrong.

19. emannths

emannths Initiate (182) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Patrick likes this.
  20. bootywhack

bootywhack Initiate (45) Oct 30, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It shows up at Bauer's on Newbury in Boston from time to time and I believe Redstone although I've never personally bought any there.

21. ActonBrewer

It's not currently being distributed to MA, so I was just trying to understand who is getting it and how. Sounds like a few stores/bars are going outside of the proper channels. Hopefully they don't ruin it for all the honest stores in our state.

Ganglani likes this.
  22. kgoyette

kgoyette Initiate (135) Feb 13, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yup Eastern Standard does appear to have it, at least according to the Twitter posts of the people that run this site. I do agree wish bars would play by the rules, and not ruin it for honest places...

23. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,344) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

You can buy as much as you want on Monday, Ashlee mentioned guys buying 12 cases at a clip, which is about pushing their limit. I bought 3 with no problems, and I called first. I suspect the 12 cases are muleing it for friends or guys who have a bar trying to cash in. I've heard 10 bucks a can pricing in bars so gouging is going on to some degree. If your making a $6.50 profit on a a can multiply that by a dozen cases. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

24. Ganglani

Ganglani Initiate (134) May 6, 2009 Massachusetts

we have only received this once early this year when they distributed through craft during VT mud season....Agree with Actonbrewer and hope stores going outside the proper channels don't ruin it for most other stores.

25. mmcgrath

mmcgrath Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2003 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

ISO: Waterbury resident to pick up a case for me on thursday. Can't Quite make 7 pm close, will PayPal in advance, pm me!

Jnorton00 likes this.
  26. bigDah7

bigDah7 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Streetcar in Jamaica Plain had it recently. No cap on purchasing..

27. mmcgrath

mmcgrath Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2003 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

No staties and leaving work early got me there with 15 min to spare. Here's a data point: they canned 300 cases today, sold 175, have 100 to deliver tomorrow, laving 25 for Fri and sat sales. And it's not ski season. Expansion can't happen soon enough!

28. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (841) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This is getting depressing that I cannot even get the beer at the brewery

Patrick likes this.
  29. cachri1

cachri1 Initiate (0) May 11, 2008 Minnesota

I need to try this - heard it's comparable to Surly Abrasive. Any help would appreciated!

30. Number45forever

Number45forever Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Abrasive is awesome. Heady is much better. I've done Abrasive for Heady trades a couple times, you can definitely trade Surly brews for Heady, if you're a trader. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe