Heady Topper - Out the Can or in a Glass?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bsavo, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsavo

bsavo Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2008 Connecticut

I am getting one can of HT today. I know its instructed to drink from the can. But since this may be my one and only chance to have this beer, I wanted to ask from personal experiences what is the best way to have it. Im used to drinking my beer from my Duvel tulip. Any info would be appreciated!

2. wtfdic

wtfdic Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2012 Massachusetts

Had it for the first time the other night. Had one out of the can and poured one. Both were good. No real noticeable difference.

3. huskermike12

huskermike12 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2011 Vermont
    Deactivated

The tulip is fine. They only say to drink out of the can because HT isn't the prettiest beer to look at. Doesn't bother me in the least and I always drink it out of a Boulevard tulip. Cheers!

4. BeTheBall

BeTheBall Devotee (425) Jun 9, 2004 Florida

I loved it both ways, but tons of floaters in this stuff, so if you pour it out, be prepared. Some people would be grossed out seeing it. The can does not adversely effect the taste, so for one only, I would just follow instructions.

5. huskermike12

huskermike12 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2011 Vermont
    Deactivated

Also, it's awesome either way.

6. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

I found a difference between the two. Can was better. More creamy hoppy goodness.

Cheers!

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,213) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I drank my one can last week. What I did was pour half of the beer into a glass and drank the other half from the can. To my great surprise I actually preferred drinking it from the can. I would never have predicted that.

My advice to the OP, do as I did: half & half.

Cheers!

ewright and draheim like this.
  8. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Beer is best consumed from a glass. Period. No brewery gets to turn that logic on its head, just because they make a hideous beer.

I love Heady Topper. I have some coming to me next week, in fact! I'll be drinking it as I consume all of my beers--from a glass as it is meant to be.

9. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

It is better out of the glass, like any other dipa. They didn't formulate some magical recipe that is better straight form a can. It doesn't look that bad anyways.

paulys55 and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  10. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Tastes better out of the can. Got more aroma from a glass. Tastes great and smells great either way. Yes I know aroma can affect your perception of taste. Just depends, do you want better taste or aroma?

I thought it was funny to find myself sniffing the opening of the can.

Berman1125 likes this.
  11. Number45forever

Number45forever Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2012 Vermont

Pouring Heady Topper into a glass will give you an amazing burst of hop aroma during the pour. Then you see that hideous beer sitting there, white floaters, hazy as crap. It's both ugly and so, so great. Like others have said, the can works for this beer. You get a whiff of that aroma at each sip from the can, and in a glass this is something that's just missing a little bit.

Really though, Heady Topper would still be great poured into an old gym shoe and sucked up through a straw. Not much you can do to harm this one simply by pouring it out.

KaslD likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,213) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Tastes better out of the can. Got more aroma from a glass” I agree with that 100%!

The aroma of the Heady Topper was ‘vibrant’ but for some reason not extremely appealing to me. I think that is why I preferred drinking from the can since that actually ‘minimized’ the aroma aspect. I fully recognize that this is counter-intuitive in that you should generally want to ‘maximize’ the aroma aspect of a IPA/DIPA and drink it from a glass.

I still stand by my previous advice to the OP: drink half from the can and half from a glass and decide for yourself. Needless to say but different folks will have differing opinions on which way is ‘better’.

Cheers!

13. jbertsch

jbertsch Poo-Bah (1,575) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Drink it both ways, half/half.

I will say though, the best aroma I got from it was when I stuck my nose right up to the can opening just after I cracked it open. It got a big "WOW" out of me.

draheim likes this.
  14. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (716) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

I don't understand why you jump so strongly to that logic. For the exact same reasons that most beers are better in the glass, it's entirely realistic that there are a few beers out there that are exceptions and actually better in the bottle/can. Fact is, the taste is altered between a glass and a can.

I've had a lot both ways, and on draft as well. I do have a preference to drinking it in the can, much like the brewer, and many others. Why? I dunno. It does taste better though. Taste is a complex thing, and it's entirely possible that the aromas dominate the senses when it's in a glass and that detracts from my taste buds. Or maybe the butt-ugly looking beer has something to do with it as well.

But if there's smoke, there's usually fire. And there is some fire behind this crazy concept of drinking HT in the can.

ShanePB and dumptruck81 like this.
  15. klaybie

klaybie Initiate (118) Nov 15, 2009 Illinois

I am getting HT today as well. I'm pumped about trying this beer and so will probably drink half from the can and half from a glass.

16. bryanole27

bryanole27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

I drink mine out of my Duvel Tulip and I wouldn't have it any other way. The nose on this beer is amazing...and I want my entire face in it.:slight_smile:

Edit: OK, I would technically have it anyway I can...it's Heady Topper for God's sake!

17. Streetcore

Streetcore Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Massachusetts

I'll echo some of the other replies by saying pour half in a glass and drink the rest out of the can. I personally drink it out of the can and that's the way I like it.

18. syu3003

syu3003 Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Michigan

gotta do the tulip! i was weirded out by the instructions on the can too, but if you dont pour it into your tulip you'll never catch the great nose HT has, which is a part of the experience IMO. not sure of the degree the taste will change from the pour, but one things for sure youll miss the aroma

19. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (575) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

I understand the idea of drinking it out of the can, since it will be less aerated and have a creamy mouthfeel like the brewer intended. When I drank it out of the can it had a really concentrated hop blast in every sip, but I hate missing out on the great aromas so I have to go with the glass. Also, how can people call this beer ugly? It's live, unfiltered ale, a beautiful thing.

KaslD likes this.
  20. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

The first time I had one I did a half pour into the glass, and the rest from the can. Since then, any time I have it I drink it straight from the can. I honestly think the experience is different (and better tasting) from the can.

draheim likes this.
  21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,947) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Got a stein? How 'bout drinking out of that? You get the aroma of a poured beer but still can't see it.

22. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,954) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The best aroma is achieved when you walk into the cannery...it's like climbing inside a giant can of Heady.

23. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

I liked it better in the can, I also poured half into a glass and found some of the hoppiness kinda weakened? I dunno maybe its just me, but when I get more im drinking them all straight from the can!

24. mdillon86

mdillon86 Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Pennsylvania

I greatly prefer it out of the glass. For me, the taste and especially the aroma pop more out of a glass. As far as which class, I prefer it out of a nonic pint as opposed to a tulip.

25. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Initiate (186) Mar 3, 2010 New York
    Trader

16oz can means pour the usual 12oz bottles-worth into a glass and drink 4oz out of the can.

26. bvdubn

bvdubn Aspirant (247) Dec 1, 2011 Pennsylvania

I tried it both ways and thought it tasted better out of the can. It is delicious either way!

27. ColForbinBC

ColForbinBC Poo-Bah (2,498) Sep 9, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

No perceived difference between can and glass for me.

28. Todd

Todd Founder (6,511) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Drink it from the can. Always. Why? Well, besides the brewer urging you to do so on the can ... it's fun. And drinking beer is supposed to be fun.

Bartos, baconsausage, Handle and 5 others like this.
  29. FatSalad

FatSalad Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012

Awesome topic.

bsavo likes this.
  30. BrownNut

BrownNut Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Florida

Hey the floaters in this thing sound like the ones I just had in Hop Wallop recently. Big chunky white things suspended all in there. I'm used to sediment but this was something else entirely. I didn't know how old it was and wondered if there was something wrong with it. What's going on in these beers, as distinct from more recognizable powdery looking sediment, to produce these big chunky white things?

31. FatSalad

I beg to differ. Drinking from the can is not a fun factor. No wee. No neat this great. Just a tin can against your lips where a tasteless glass could be doing the same job. No wee.

32. Todd

Todd Founder (6,511) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Beg all you want ...

33. FatSalad

No, I'm about done.

34. muletrane

muletrane Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2006 Pennsylvania

I think you get a better overall hop character out of the can.

FatSalad likes this.
  35. nawset

nawset Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2011 New Hampshire

Have had a bunch of it in can and out - no difference. Drink from the can if worried about a breaking glass otherwise, pour it; the nose is amazing.

36. nrs207

nrs207 Defender (654) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania

It's a slightly different taste out of the can. They're both amazing. What I do, and would recommend you do, is drink the first half from your tulip (no floaters so no grossness if that's an issue for you) and the second half from the can. I do it with almost every can I have, since the tastes do vary slightly. Either way it's easily the best beer I've ever had, so do what you want.

Also, the aroma is so silly good that you may want to pour some in the glass anyway. It's amazing how much aroma you get just from popping the can, but sticking your nose in a glass of it is just amazing.

37. DividedAvery

DividedAvery Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Colorado

I am not sure why this thread exists. Take a 4 oz snifter, pour contents of can into said snifter, drink out of aforementioned snifter, chug can. Fin

38. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

The beer does not need to have more of it carbonation released, Duvel tulip is etched at the bottom specifically for Duvel's level of CO2. Drink it out of the can.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  39. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

I have been very lucky to get Heady a few times from an amazing trader and I always drink it out of the can. If the brewer thinks it will be better that way, who am I to argue.

baconsausage likes this.
  40. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

If the brewery said to drink it while standing on one foot because that's how it "tastes best," would you do that?

yamar68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.