Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Hefe head retention

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ifnkovhg, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ifnkovhg

Hey. I just poured an Ayinger Brau-Weisse, and the head struck me as more saison-like: fizzy as opposed to foamy, audible, and it disappears very quickly. Does that mean the beer's past its prime? It tastes fine, but I can't say that my taste-memory is very good. Thanks!

2. billandsuz

likely your glass was less than ideal.

3. ifnkovhg

It was a clean pint glass that went through the washer the day before. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it!

4. DelMontiac

That's one reason why I usually go with Franziskaner.

5. omgshesaboy

Beer Trader

Ideally you should hand wash your beer glasses...even the dish washer can leave residue on them, and head retention can be effected in a negative manner. I can't recall if Ayinger dates their bottles, but I suppose it could have also been the age of the beer. If it was an old bottle it probably would have tasted "off".

6. decimator

Haven't had the Ayinger yet but most German hefe's I've had tend to have pretty bubbly heads. Sometimes messy ones depending on the pour but there's exceptions. If it tastes good I wouldn't worry about it.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe