Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Hefe head retention

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ifnkovhg, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Aug 12, 2008 California

Hey. I just poured an Ayinger Brau-Weisse, and the head struck me as more saison-like: fizzy as opposed to foamy, audible, and it disappears very quickly. Does that mean the beer's past its prime? It tastes fine, but I can't say that my taste-memory is very good. Thanks!
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Sep 1, 2004 New York

likely your glass was less than ideal.
  3. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Aug 12, 2008 California

It was a clean pint glass that went through the washer the day before. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it!
  4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

That's one reason why I usually go with Franziskaner.
  5. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Jul 19, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Ideally you should hand wash your beer glasses...even the dish washer can leave residue on them, and head retention can be effected in a negative manner. I can't recall if Ayinger dates their bottles, but I suppose it could have also been the age of the beer. If it was an old bottle it probably would have tasted "off".
  6. decimator

decimator Jun 1, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

Haven't had the Ayinger yet but most German hefe's I've had tend to have pretty bubbly heads. Sometimes messy ones depending on the pour but there's exceptions. If it tastes good I wouldn't worry about it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!