Hefeweizen blind taste testing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by geodonnokepyo, Apr 30, 2017.

?

Favorite Hefe

1. Hacker Pschorr

1.0%
  2. Konig Ludwig

1.0%
  3. Grieskirchner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Weihenstephaner

68.4%
  5. Ayinger

8.2%
  6. Schneider Edel-Weisse

5.1%
  7. Dreamweaver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Paulaner

3.1%
  9. Franziskaner

10.2%
  10. Kellerweis

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodonnokepyo

geodonnokepyo Disciple (388) Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey all,
    Yesterday I threw together a blind tasting with 10 hefeweizens found around my area.
    Most of them German, but a couple American versions made it in there as well.
    Here is what I included:

Hacker Pschorr
    Konig Ludwig
    Grieskirchner
    Weihenstephaner
    Ayinger
    Schneider Edel-Weisse
    Troegs Dreamweaver
    Paulaner
    Franziskaner
    Sierra Nevada Kellerweis

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

There were seven of us drinking.
    As a group we collectively decided that Weihenstephaner was the winner.
    Not a big surprise there.

Schneider, Dreamweaver, and Paulaner were all up at the top of most of our lists as well.

We all agreed that the Ayinger was the worst. However, I believe that it was stored improperly at some point on it's long journey from Germany to my fridge. It was skunked. I have had Ayinger before and it is definitely not a bad beer.

But anyways, I hope you all enjoy this post as much as I enjoyed doing the research for it:slight_smile:

Added bonus poll: Tell me which of these ten beers you like the most or which other hefeweizens you prefer. I have heard good things about Live Oak... but have never got to try.

Cheers.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,486) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Strange that a beer in a brown bottle with few hops skunked. I'd like to see how it would have done with a better bottle.

laketang likes this.
  3. geodonnokepyo

4. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (137) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

I'm not that much of a Hefe guy, but I do recognize greatness, and Weihenstephaner is truly great. As for Live Oak, they've only started canning it within the last year, just draft before that. Very good, but limited distribution.

Premo88, TongoRad and bbtkd like this.
  5. zid

zid Meyvn (1,206) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

How many bottles of each beer did you open?

6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I would love to have all of those on the same table for a tasting. Good show! I agree. Weihenstephaner! I have seen my locals/regionals make world class hefes as well. The stand out even had an addition. Ellicottvilles' blood orange hefeweizen was one of the best hefes I have ever had. It's the blanace that amkes the beer as well as the appearance. Sometimes you get a hefe that has a little brown in it or a murky color. Not weihenstephaner. Take a look at that beer! That beer is the blonde bombshell of beers imo. perfectly crisp.

7. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,227) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Weihenstephaner all day for me as well. Definitely the benchmark standard in my book - no flaws.

Bitterbill, VABA and bbtkd like this.
  8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't have a favorite Hefeweizen so I picked he one I drink most often Sierra Nevada Kellerweis.

alucard6679 likes this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,035) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Weihenstephaner, so fantastic that I took the time to learn to spell it! :wink:

You sure do want to have it fresh. I had a bottle hide from me in my cellar, and was nearing a year old when I cracked it. Not so fabulous at that age.

10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,035) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

OP - what's up with the Stellas in the background? Is that how you reset your taste-buds in-between, or just having a favorite while winding down afterwards?

11. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,311) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

Weihenstephaner anything is fantastic. i also like SN Kellerweis

12. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Weihenstephaner, I haven't had all the ones on your list, but I don't imaging many could beat it.

13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I always thought that Paulaner was a real sleeper that doesn't get mentioned enough, so it's nice to see it get some appreciation from your group as well. The Schneider Edel Weisse probably rounds out my top 3, and could be my fave on a good day.

14. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (957) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

X2 - weihenstephaner everything is stellar. It always amazes me their hefe is the only one regarded so highly when so many other of their beers are world class per style (and world class altogether imo).

dgmirelli, DarthVorador and TongoRad like this.
  15. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,847) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

If you get a chance, try out Live Oak, if they still make it.

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,127) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

Hofbrau Traunstein Gastroweisse is my favorite. Just had Karg this week and it was pretty outstanding.

17. geodonnokepyo

1 each. Good for about two hearty swigs or a few mini sips.

Hah, yeah, those were like the pregame as well as palate cleansers I guess.

bbtkd likes this.
  18. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,715) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

19. geodonnokepyo

Wish I could find it around here. I'm a big fan of Aventinus

20. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Poo-Bah (1,761) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I too enjoy the Hefeweizens, but forget to stop and enjoy. I do like Weihenstephaner, However my favorite is Franziskaner. I want to try Live Oak.

21. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,715) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

The Original is not the Aventinus (apologies if you weren't lumping the two).

22. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (422) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

I actually did a very similar tasting when live oak first released cans.

Live Oak and Weihenstephaner were the 2 that clearly separated themselves from the rest.

Now just recently, chicago has gained another fantastic hefeweizen from a young brewery named Dovetail. If you have the chance, go try it.

Premo88 and geodonnokepyo like this.
  23. geodonnokepyo

Yea I know the difference. No worries.

steveh likes this.
  24. Malt_Man

Malt_Man Zealot (576) Jul 4, 2014 England

Ayinger is a good weizen; you definitely had a defective bottle. My favourite is Schneider Tap 7 (original). Weihenstephaner is good but not head and shoulders above others as the polling suggests. Paulaner is underrated and as mentioned above and easy to get hold of. Koenig Ludwig also very good. Sierra Nevada is good, but the thing that annoys me is the bottle size, it will only half-fill a proper weizen glass. Franziskaner is very widely available and relatively cheap; always there to fill a weizen hankering, although it is a bit sweet.

Hmm, wish I had some weizen in the house.

25. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,345) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Andechs makes my favorite hefeweizen, definitely give it a shot if you can find it. Ayinger is my favorite out of the ones you tried during the tasting, so it sounds like you got a bad bottle.

26. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,920) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Yeah, that Weihenstephaner 330ml does a much better job of filling the glass than the SN 12 oz (355ml)! :wink:

SFACRKnight likes this.
  27. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

This was truly done blindly and there was one concrete winner? That's impressive. My group is usually all over the place with various types of beers (ranging from 70-100 on the BA scale usually). But even then, a local or macro type of beer can sneak in and get some votes.

I had a year old Weihenstepaner Vitus just recently. No loss or change in flavor. I've also had old Ayinger. Something was definitely up if it didnt hold up at all. Most of these German imports sit for months, if not years, without any loss in flavor.. That to me is more impressive than a massively hopped NE IPA that loses its luster after day 15.. WTH is up with that? Even some Bitburger that I am drinking was brewed in August '16 (in a can mind you), and it still feels quite vibrant. If its not full of hops, lots of beers should in theory hold up over time.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  28. Malt_Man

I'm in the UK and never even seen a 330ml Weihenstephaner (or any other German weizen). 500ml is standard in Germany and UK.

SFACRKnight and herrburgess like this.
  29. Malt_Man

I'm looking at OP's photo again and realising that all the Germans are 330ml bottles except the Ayinger and Schneider and the one in the middle. Whoever said America is the greatest nation on earth wasn't a weissbier fan.

CNoj012, jeebeel, SFACRKnight and 2 others like this.
  30. MNAle

Society

Well, it is only available in 330ml euro bottles where I bought it. It also looks (from the picture) like the OPs Hacker-Pschorr, Konig Ludwig, Weihenstephaner, Paulaner, and Franziskaner were in the 330 ml euro bottles.

31. MNAle

Society

I was typing while you are replying... Yes, European imports can be a challenge here.

Malt_Man likes this.
  32. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

330ml is 11.2oz, right? Atleast where I live, six packs of Weihenstephaner is something like $12-$14. Whereas, the typical 500ml is something like $4.50. So do the math a little bit and you are looking at $18 sixers if they kept the 500ml pricing the same. So i'm getting more for $14 than the almighty 500ml format. @Malt_Man America is home to the big box jumbo retailers like Sams Club and Costco. Six packs of Weihenstepaner are the norm here. You buy in bulk and generally save, even for imports

33. Malt_Man

Yeah that's cool on the money front. There's just something 'right' about pouring a 500ml bottle into a 500ml weizen glass.

cavedave, nodder, Uniobrew31 and 2 others like this.
  34. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,127) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

Most times you'll be served your Weizen in a shaker pint -- with little to no head -- so no worries.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  35. Malt_Man

Oh deary deary me.... Herrburgess you need to take over the USA and sort this out.

steveh and herrburgess like this.
  36. HermitDan

HermitDan Disciple (355) Apr 30, 2016 New Jersey

1. Ayinger
    2. Schneider Original
    3. Franziskaner

Premo88 and Malt_Man like this.
  37. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,346) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

No doubt the Ayinger was old or light struck or something along those lines. It ranks right up there with Weihenstephaner when fresh...I'd put it #2 but it pushes for the #1 spot....

SFACRKnight and Jacobier10 like this.
  38. geodonnokepyo

I agree. Like I said I have had it before and it was great. Definitely a bad bottle and a bit of a let down. I wonder how well it would've done if stored properly.

39. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,660) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You can add Straub Hefeweizen to this list as well.

Cheers!

Premo88 likes this.
  40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,389) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I can never find weihenstephaner around here but I actually prefer Franziskaner and I can find that in 12 packs For $18.

Domestically I like Neshaminy Creek Highwater Hefeweizen.

Premo88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.