Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Heineken Cork & Caged Magnums

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Samlover55, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (623) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    I came across this in my local Stop & Shop. I am curious what they are trying to accomplish with these.
    Thoughts?

thebeers, StoutElk_92 and dcotom like this.
  2. MichaelShmichael

MichaelShmichael Aspirant (224) Apr 17, 2017 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The only alcohol my brother in law drinks is Heineken, so I've just found my contribution to Thanksgiving this year.

3. BeerandLoathing

BeerandLoathing Aspirant (200) Jan 28, 2011 Oregon

I can't any information online pertaining to a 2017 release of Heineken in magnums... though I did find an article from a year or so ago that states Heineken bottles their beer in champagne magnums for their involvement in Champions League football.

Check the bottle dates on them before you buy is all I'll say. I don't care how fancy the bottle is, I would not want to drink year old Heineken...

Harrison8 likes this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Yikes - seriously - Heineken? In the late 80's I traveled to Niamey Niger for work a couple of times. We were warned to only drink sealed water, pop, and beer. The only beers were two regionals and Heineken. Even though I was almost 30 years away from discovering craft, I already despised Heineken. The locals that were in professional/academic jobs saw it as the ultimate treat for guests. The folks there were great, so I choked Heinekens down when offered, but otherwise drank the watery regional beers. Who would intentionally buy a magnum of Heineken? Much rather have a magnum of Anchor Christmas Ale.

5. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,385) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

"Beer is an essential purchase for holiday celebrations, large and small. More than any other season, consumers want the brands they serve and enjoy during the holidays to reflect the spirit of the season and show their friends and family how much they care. Heineken®, a family owned brand with a rich history and premium credentials spanning 150 years, is spreading cheer in a big way this holiday, and will deliver the quality and confidence consumers seek." - Raul Esquer Lopez, Brand Manager at Heineken USA

IOW, holiday marketing. (Gimmickry?)

6. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hopefully what may be available will be less than 6 months old. It would either be a good present or a good gag present depending on the recipient. I think it would be funny to tilt around 50 some ounces of Heineken at dinner, rather than, say, cans of Bud Light. From my only visit to the Heineken brewery in 1971, I can only say that the beer, the friends we met, the aromas in the close-by neighborhoods, and the friendly and generous staff were all excellent. It remains a favorite brewery visit. I was 20., and the place was very cool.

7. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I bet Lagunitas is behind this. :stuck_out_tongue:

8. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Could be, after the sale the founder of Lagunitas was hired by Heineken to serve as a Global Director for the company.

ESHBG likes this.
  9. honkey

honkey Aspirant (287) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona

The world needs more cork and caged magnums. Don’t fight it. Just let it happen.

10. Hayden34

Hayden34 Devotee (475) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

These aren't anything new. I still have the bottle I saved from buying one of these about 15 years ago. Never been a Heineken fan. I bought it for the bottle only. I'm guessing a large portion of the people who buy this do it for the same reason.

Samlover55 and TrojanRB like this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Heineken has been bottling their beer in magnums long before the Lagunitas deal:
    [​IMG]

beertunes, jkblr, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  12. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

What next, BCBS in magnums?

Erikone likes this.
  13. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (392) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Whats the price on those? It looks like its in the double digit range. I hope its a 3L magnum.

14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Evil Twin has put an 11% stout in a magnum.....

Nearly bought that in lieu of buying a keg for my graduation party, although I could've gotten a keg of Boulevard Wheat cheaper.

bbtkd likes this.
  15. MouthBreather

MouthBreather Initiate (132) Dec 7, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This has been happening for years nothing new. They aim this for the holidays for celebrations when people don't want to drink champagne. So you can pop a magnum of this instead.

Hayden34, rgordon and Harrison8 like this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This seems like a marketing gimmick for Holidays. I always see common items re-packaged for season, that would be my guess.

Samlover55, DISKORD and jmdrpi like this.
  17. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (159) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Definitely holiday bottles. I'm a grinch.

Urk1127 likes this.
  18. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

This. Someone will say "oh, Bob in accounting likes beer. What a great gift idea!"

19. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

No idea what I would do with the empty bottle but it is a conversation starter.

20. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

They also had their Bozo Beer in those bottles as well, but this one was 17.2%.

#20 DISKORD, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Harrison8 likes this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

LOL that is right on the money.

22. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (288) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Who woulda thought? Marketing WORKS!

A family member saw some and bought us one.Now it's taking up like half our fridge. I will check the bottle dates and get back to you all

dcotom and Samlover55 like this.
  23. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

With tasting notes as well I trust.

VABA likes this.
  24. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

When I was looking for an example, I couldn't find the stout I was seeking. I did see a bottle of Bozo. That's ludicrous!

And I want one.

bbtkd and DISKORD like this.
  25. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,217) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I want to say the cost was $12 in Sam's where I saw it. Total wine shows it for 11.99

26. jkblr

jkblr Crusader (702) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Supporter

They are $10 at our local Sam's Club in southern Indiana. I'll probably buy one for Christmas with the family. They have a shrink wrap cover so light damage should not be a problem. Besides, as @honkey stated, the world needs more corked and caged magnums.

VABA likes this.
  27. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

Here we go. Shared with another family member over lunch.
    [​IMG]

Best by of April 2018. Like other euro lagers, they probably date their lagers 9-12 months out.

It's been years since I had this.

It's just your typical lightly sweetened almost no other flavor type of euro lager.

Tasting notes are interesting. Vaguely skunked if you even want to call it that. The bottle itself is dark green with this plastic graphic wrap around most of the bottle. I think it may actually hold down the skunkiness. Well done Heineken.

Somewhat of an artificial sweetness yet I want to say it has notes that want to be like pilsner urquell ( I buy a 12 pack a month on average ). It's not as sharp, crisp , or flavorful as PU.

Iits not skunked. So it gets an acceptable level of drinkability.

thebeers, Squire123 and Harrison8 like this.
  28. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

It was coming up correct orientation on my phone. Now it's not. My bad.

Ps. the gift giver liked the bottle more than anything.. Someone mentioned that here. lol. I would probably never buy this for $10-12 on my own dime, ever. But I have received older skunkier beer before. So this gift wasnt too bad (was informed that it was intended for Thanksgiving. It literally took up a space that a 12 pack or turkey fits into, so it had to get consumed if we wanted a thawed out turkey). That's how you validate day drinking

Harrison8 likes this.
  29. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (551) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I saw these the top shelf at the beer store with the light shimmering off the bottle…My only thought was that is gonna be one skunked big ass bottle of heiniken

30. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

Top shelf? If that falls off it's going to kill someone.

31. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (230) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

So basically just like every other bottle of Heiniken, but big.

jmdrpi and Uniobrew31 like this.
  32. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (551) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yes a large deadly bottle of skunked Euro Lager… Would be an interesting way to go out! Cheers!

zid, bbtkd and jmdrpi like this.
  33. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,162) Jan 2, 2001 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

While eyeing the selection at my local LCBO here in Ottawa yesterday I spotted the holiday offering from Grolsch in their iconic flip-top magnum sized bottle. Cool gimmick for the bottle but not worth the price.

34. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

I should add. Unnecessarily CORKED and held in with a ton of pressure, which happened to not help the beer at all. It didnt have a co2 bite or fizz like I expected/wanted. It tasted some what subdued on the co2 front. Disappointing if they are going for the champagne crowd.

Skunked? Not yet. This was bought off a un-refrigerated shelf. I think they all are. The format size is ridiculous give the lower ABV nature of the product.

i've almost never drain poured, or said no to a beer after a long days work at a friends of a friends who has coors light cold. So this is within that same realm. I will say, by christmas, the skunkiness may be a bit higher than what I experieced today. So ask for this for next weeks festivities, and not christmas. I would not want one then lol.

35. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

It won't skunk with time or warmth, only with sunlight or other UV light.

36. Oktoberfiesta

Beer Trader

Stupid question.. What about fluorescent, or regular in store lighting? I didnt exactly ask how my gift was sitting in the store? I was more than thankful and we drank it within a week of getting it. Other venues may be more prone to fight. I have many beers sitting in regular in direct UV lighting. I'm guessing instead of being 100% affected, the 20-30% natural lighting will affect it soon enough..

I guess I need to cover everything I own, or drink it sooner

37. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That's exactly right. It's a great gift idea for those that love Heineken and those that don't care what beer they drink. It also has great gag gift potential that I'm sure will be left empty at the end of the night at least just for fun.

38. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Its for holiday marketing.

39. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Me too. The holidays shouldnt be an excuse to pretend to be happy. And unrelated, to give. If people acting all year like how they do on holidays, itd be a good world. My drive to NY in a week will be awful.

40. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (360) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I used to buy those years (about 15 years) ago at 7-11 around Christmas time for a few select gifts when I was in college. What do you get your drinking buddies that isn't wine or a standard 12 pack, and cheaper than the hard stuff? Boom! Enough Heineken to get you through a night of playing Madden and a box of fried chicken!

I saw these a week ago priced around $10-$11 bucks. I think that's about what they were in 2002. I just smiled and kept right on walking.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.