Heineken replacing Budweiser as official beer of MLS

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Hdredfern, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...-replacing-budweiser-as-official-beer-of.html

Heineken USA has scored a four-year sponsorship agreement to become the official beer of Major League Soccerbeginning next year, a role that Budweiser has held for nearly 20 years.

The four-year deal is valued at more than $40 million, sources told the Wall Street Journal.

The deal represents Heineken's first national sports marketing platform in the United States.

MLS reportedly is in talks regarding sponsorship rights to the U.S. and Mexican national soccer teams with Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors LLC, according to the Wall Street Journal. Heineken said it is not interested in those rights.

Industries:
    Sports Business, Media & Marketing

2. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (578) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Brewery

I am more shocked that the MLS has been around for over 20 years. No surprise that they want to brand themselves just like European leagues in order to feel relevant.

It's just you.

madmanjf likes this.
  3. Andare

Andare Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2008 California

Watching the televised MLS matches can be trying, but actually attending them is rad. This just means we'll be drinking Heineken instead of Budweiser in the venue(s) ... after lot tailgating with whatever. Tee-hee.

ESCO138 and Modernrickk like this.
  4. Andare

Yes, with the recent attention American soccer has gained following FIFA World Cup, the MLS has been on a mission to invigorate the MLS brand too.

An exerpt from a related article on MLSsoccer.com ...
    "Heineken is a supporter of soccer globally and is a great fit for what’s next for Major League Soccer.”

5. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

Heineken seems like a better fit on the surface level, but really spending $40million to be the "official beer" of anything seems like an incredible waste of money.

Casterbridge likes this.
  6. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Really it is a bargain. Microsoft spent $400 Million to have the NFL teams use their tablets over IPADS

7. Andare

The MLS is where international star players of yesteryear retire. Joke. @malvrich

8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

It may be true but they've done enough of these types of deals and something tells me they wouldn't offer this kind of money if they didn't think it would pay off in the next four years. Besides, it takes money to make money.

9. otispdriftwood

So why doesn't Budweiser go after the adult kickball league? It's a cheap replacement with plenty of room to grow.

10. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I'm sure on some business level it's a justified expense, but in my naive, small-town boy's mind, it's a waste of money. Supplying the official beer of MLS, tablet of the NFL, or hotdog of the Toledo Mudhens may give those companies a good deal of exposure, but I can't see the value from here.

11. otispdriftwood

Agreed. I don't see the value either but then again, we're not sitting in the board room making these decisions.

frazbri likes this.
  12. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Well, Budweiser has recently become the official beer of the Chicago Cubs, taking that "honor" from Old Style. Seeing as there are probably more people that watch the Cubs than every MLS team combined, I'm sure the folks at AB InBev aren't too upset over this.

Traquairlover likes this.
  13. mrhartounian

mrhartounian Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Ok, I'll be the a-hole, is there a reason anyone should care about this other than those who profit from it?

jasonmason, 5thOhio and ivorycannon like this.
  14. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Well in that case....

15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I don't think so but I like green better than red.

16. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota

17. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,007) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Neither is my choice of beer, but I'd buy a Heineken before a Budweiser any day.

ESCO138, Providence and Brolo75 like this.
  18. e34john

e34john Initiate (87) Jul 22, 2013 California

They pay about twice that much per year to sponsor Champions League in Europe.

BeerDrinkersWorldTour likes this.
  19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (611) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

20. Black_ox

Black_ox Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Missouri

Not in KC, Sporting KC for life, Boulevard for life.

21. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,998) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Well, having a Euorpean beer as "official" fits their whole mantra.

If they really wanted to invigorate the brand in the USA, they would quit pretending MLS is British.

Quit naming teams Whatever United would be a start.

Then, remember that in the USA, it is:
    a field, not a pitch
    a team, not a side
    equipment, not a kit
    a tie, not a draw
    zero or nothing, not nil

Speak the language of the people of you want to appeal to the people.

22. e34john

e34john Initiate (87) Jul 22, 2013 California

LoL can the keeper stay or will he be replaced by a goalie?

Either way I don't really care, its not like Heineken is that much better. At the stadium I just tailgate and then drink whats available and affordable to keep the buzz going. I am just glad my local soccer bar sells Union Jack.

23. Traquairlover

Traquairlover Meyvn (1,026) Nov 10, 2007 Virginia

The MLS still exists? I don't think I've seen any paraphernalia from the DC team (whatever its name is) in several years. I'd assumed the league went bankrupt or something.

I'm kidding but only in that I did know it still existed. I have heard almost nothing about it at all in several years. Seems like a huge waste of money for a beer company to outbid another unless it was a dutch auction, I guess.

5thOhio likes this.
  24. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

No, it's not just you, it's Les Claypool!

25. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

...slapping my hands at he keyboard to prevent snarky comments about MLS...

Guess I'll have a beer instead.

26. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

yay :grinning: (''''( ( *,,,,* ) )'''') RAWR SOCCER! atleast heiny is drinkable.

27. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Columbus til I die.

DouginCMH likes this.
  28. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Say it ain't so? :slight_frown: Old Style went hand & hand w/the Cubs, hell they should make it specifically for Wrigley Field.

29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Not surprised, I'm sure Stella Artois came in a close 2nd.

30. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

BeerDrinkersWorldTour Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Northern Ireland

Soccer is the word Americans use for what the rest of the World calls Football. But call it what you will it still bores the hell out of me...:wink:

Edit... well apart from the world cup even I get sucked in once every four years...
    (Not that Northern Ireland every does anything special though)

Traquairlover likes this.
  31. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,639) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I can tell you we probably throw more beer at RFK than drink it..

VAMOS UNITED..

the good stuff gets drunk before hand :wink:

32. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

The only non-AB InBev beers sold at Wrigley Field are Guinness and Red Stripe at the Bacardi in the Park venue at the enterance (Diageo), and Old Style.

33. Black_ox

Black_ox Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Missouri

Haha as long as its not the Dynamo

34. ESCO138

ESCO138 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 California

The Stubhub center [Where the 4 time MLS Champions LA Galaxy play] has craft beer from all the local breweries. Stone, Smog City, Monkish, Angel City, etc...BUT if I was forced to drink yellow water...give me a Heineken. Also the best bottle shares I have attended were @ LA Galaxy tailgates w/ the LA Riot Squad supporter group. Granted we get a stink eye from the non-craft crowd if a snifter comes out but oh well, the craft beer interests has been growing since then in our group.

35. Keffa

Keffa Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Or Toronto. To be truthful though, Columbus has plenty of good places near Crew Stadium to drink, including Seventh Son. Plus Columbus Brewing beer is available at the stadium.

36. Traquairlover

Traquairlover Meyvn (1,026) Nov 10, 2007 Virginia

I love the world cup. Simply nothing like the Webb Ellis cup to get the blood pumping. I'd been considering coming to England next year to watch some games.

BeerDrinkersWorldTour likes this.
  37. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

BeerDrinkersWorldTour Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Northern Ireland

Yeah go for it... Like I say I'm not a massive Football nut (probably the only man alive in Ireland today who will say that) but a live game is a lot of fun...

38. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

It gets the beer into the stadiums. I would guess that over the course of 4 years, they will sell far more than $40m worth of beer at the games.

39. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (335) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

I love struggles like this - two participants I really don't care about. Always a win for me because someone has to lose, and it shuffles the deck for more interesting hands to come.

40. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Everything is a waste of money...sports cars, diamond rings, mansions...$20 bombers...it's just the scale that's different :wink:

frazbri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.