Heineken says it'll never brew high alcohol beers

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by JackHorzempa, Nov 18, 2021.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,160) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Heineken (HKHHY) has been selling 0.0% alcohol beer since 2019, but the company says it will never go the other way and get into the world of high alcohol content beer.

”No. Absolutely not,” Heineken USA CEO Maggie Timoney told Yahoo Finance when asked about the craft beers that have an alcohol content well above wine, which even rivals what you'd find in spirits like gin or bourbon.

“There's a beautiful side of our industry but there's also the side where people imbibe too much or they have the disease where they can't stop drinking and they become alcoholics,” Timoney said in the latest episode of Influencers with Andy Serwer. “I've grown up where you see the dark side of alcohol.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...orld-of-high-alcohol-content-beers/ar-AAQRpjL

Cheers!

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (893) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

So where does that leave Lagunitas?

Enjoy

Treyliff, ChicagoJ, deanzaZZR and 7 others like this.
  3. readyski

readyski Aspirant (291) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Waldo is under 12% right, so we're all good.

Bitterbill, Squire, Shanex and 5 others like this.
  4. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (504) Feb 2, 2015 New York

The spokesperson is "Heineken USA CEO Maggie Timoney". I assume she speaks only for Heineken branded products in the US, especially considering the Lagunitas lineup.

redeemer likes this.
  5. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (146) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

How dare she say I have a disease. Shame on them.

6. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (493) Sep 1, 2004 New York

It is that time where we get to translate Corporate Bull Shit into Plain English.
    Let's.

Heineken (HKHHY) has been selling 0.0% alcohol beer since 2019, but the company says as of this month, it is doing a trial run promoting a sales tactic that does not include high ABV products.

”No. Absolutely not,” Heineken USA CEO Maggie Timoney told Heineken's Social Media department when nobody asked her about the craft beers that have an alcohol content sometimes equal to wine, and has never approached the ABV of completely different beverages such as gin or bourbon.

Ms. Timmons continued “We make a shit ton of money selling massive amounts of Euro lager. It's cheap to produce. By pretending to be concerned about the well being of consumers, we can have it both ways", carefully avoiding any mention of Heinekens fully owned brewery Lagunitas, which is responsible for producing the flagship 6.2% IPA, available at C-Stores in 19.2 ounce cans that are convenient for alcoholics and anyone who is looking to get smashed quickly and cheaply.

"There's a crazy side of our industry where we can make shareholders and executives extremely rich, but there's also the side where we have to look like responsible members of society" Timoney said to an Influencer desperate for clicks “I've grown to learn how to talk the talk, and I sleep well at night".

When asked about wholly owned subsidiary Lagunitas, CEO Timmins referred questions to Heinekens Department of Propaganda, stating "Heineken is not interested in discussing any alternative facts and I personally don't know anything about Abbey inspired beers either."

If these executives were your neighbors, you would avoid them at the next BBQ. I mean, they produce Mort Subite. A beer named Sudden Death. For fucks sake.

Cheers

#6 billandsuz, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    lucius10, Riff, trsC and 24 others like this.
  7. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,030) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Maggie way up there on that high horse... Yeah, I’m sure she’s in the alcohol industry to help people. More reason to not support Lagunitas.

IKR, Eddiehop, ChicagoJ and 8 others like this.
  8. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Savant (905) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

I'm okay with that news. :beers:

DCH, Bitterbill, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  9. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (146) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Thank you :joy::joy::joy::joy:

lucius10 and billandsuz like this.
  10. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (504) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Good catch on the Mort Subite. But are you anticipating to be legally served by the purveyors of Sudden Death?

ChicagoJ and billandsuz like this.
  11. billandsuz

Bring it on!
    From WSJ

"Multi-national conglomerate sues BeerAdvocate user over truthful statements that hurts the feelings of over compensated CEO".

Ms. Timoney stated "If Heineken has to answer for every flagrant lie and hypocrisy we are responsible for, our share price may effected".

The CEO continued

"We intend to fight these heinous facts with an avalanche of lawyers and money so that we may continue to broadcast any horse shit we feel is necessary to drive our goal of market dominance. This is a global struggle, one which will determine the size of the island I am currently considering".

BeerAdvocate user billandsuz, when questioned for comment, was found at his local brewery, drinking a fresh beer, made and served by local friends. He responded "Heineken is a fine lawn mower beer, it always reminds me of the taste of cut lawn and skunk".

I could go on...
    Cheets

12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,093) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

That certainly is a nice word salad she spewed out there.

beerjerk666, Rug, Harrison8 and 6 others like this.
  13. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (349) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heineken Company Timor Leste seems to pursue a different strategy. Now, it does say "less than" 20%, so I guess it's between 16% and 20%?

ChicagoJ, Rug, Harrison8 and 6 others like this.
  14. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,848) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

My only formal thank you to Heineken will be that I enjoyed Lagunitas on this side of the pond for a good price.

As someone replied before, I’m glad to read from Maggie that « water is wet » and I have a drinking problem.

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Heineken USA, headquartered in White Plains NY, is their importing subsidiary, as Dun & Brandstreet notes:
    As such they probably have nothing to do with Lagunitas, especially considering the fact that Heineken left Lagunitas' wholesale distribution network alone, unlike companies like AB-InBev and Boston Beer Co. which move their purchased breweries' brands out of their former wholesalers (often at great expense and/or costly legal battles) and into their own networks.

16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Perhaps she should go work in an industry that's more consistent with her obviously pure conscience.

#16 Squire, Nov 19, 2021
  17. Squire

Society Trader

Apparently we don't talk about that one, at least not in press releases.

18. Squire

Society Trader

Oh she didn't mean the customers, it's the "others" who are dark.

Bitterbill, Shanex and BigIronH like this.
  19. Squire

Society Trader

They don't have to be in my neighborhood for me to avoid them . . . and their products.

BigIronH likes this.
  20. Squire

Society Trader

With low ABV dressing.

Bitterbill and Shanex like this.
  21. Crusader

I was wondering whether the 16% and 20% numbers were actually percentage plato rather than abv, being essentially mislabeled, but it seems another Dutch brewer, Oranjeboom is selling the same kinds of beers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gotta wonder what sort of original gravity they brew these "20%" lager beers to, or whether they add alcohol to them. I know that a rather infamous Swedish extra strong lager beer of 10.2% abv is brewed to 21.1% plato, which is pretty highly attenuated at 86% apparent.

22. billandsuz

The label says it is "Alc. Less Than 20% vol."
    Sounds like a headache beer.

Unlike Lagunitas, this one is noteworthy for being extreme ABV. Not anything like the Gin mentioned in the article, but for beer 20% is crazy big. And disgusting, for me anyway.

#22 billandsuz, Nov 19, 2021
  23. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,410) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

They also gave Maximus. Same format, same price. Nice walking home beer IMO

Squire likes this.
  24. Squire

Society Trader

I would like to see the grain bill on these.

25. Squire

Society Trader

Carried in a brown bag of course.

26. DCH

DCH Aspirant (225) Jun 12, 2013 New York

I’m pretty sure a lot of people buying Heineken are not just having one or two per night. Maybe that’s a reality that they’re just not willing to recognize. I mean they sell mini kegs of their product in almost every grocery store! But we don’t want to promote alcoholism:rolling_eyes:

27. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Crusader (738) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Did not read every post, but it seems like people are responding without fully understanding what she said. She specifically states that they won’t brew beer that is stronger than bourbon and Gin. She’s talking about beer that is the strongest in the world, not what most people think of as “high ABV beer”.

#27 Beer_Economicus, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  28. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, in the US at least, most of those so-called "Strongest Beers" in that article's link are not legally "malt beverages" because the ABV is increased by distillation or fractional freezing (the latter often incorrectly referred to as "freeze distillation"). Even the Brewdog label for the US shows as much
    [​IMG]
    and it and the others which are exported to the US are registered with the TTB under the category of "OTHER SPECIALTIES & PROPRIETARIES" and taxed at the rate of Distilled Spirits, not Malt Beverages (the legal term for Beer).

Gin and Bourbon Whisky by the legal definition in the US start at 40% ABV
    The highest true "fermented" beer in the US is the 28% Utopias (not sure if it's ever been determined if its ABV is increased by the barrel's former contents).

29. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (225) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Maybe they should focus more on their flagship product always being a skunked mess

30. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, there is a solution to that issue for consumers who are so inclined:

[​IMG]

31. Squire

Society Trader

I suggest they simply wish to appear they're not supporting alcoholism.

DCH likes this.
  32. Squire

Society Trader

Oh no, that might interfere with the "iconic image" of those cute green bottles.

Resistance88 and IPAExpert69 like this.
  33. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,065) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Man, I was really hoping for that Heineken Triple IPA! :sunglasses:

Squire and Rug like this.
  34. Squire

Society Trader

I expect we'll have to wait on that one.

35. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

But will it still be Heineken?

Haven't had it from the can, but maybe they should "pre-skunk" it, just so it tastes...right? :grin::wink:

skivtjerry likes this.
  36. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (579) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

I am confident that they will find a way to put skunk in a can.

billandsuz and beerjerk666 like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe Heineken can just add some:

[​IMG]

to their canned beers?

Cheers!

skivtjerry likes this.
  38. Crusader

[​IMG]
    Speaking of pre skunking Heineken I came across this picture of a case of returnable bottles of Heineken in Germany which appears to have some sort of cover on top as opposed to being open. I guess it's at least partly meant to provide another branding space on the package, but I can't help but wonder if they are also worried about light hitting the beers?

39. jesskidden

Society Trader

It was pretty common +100 years ago in the US when beer cases were wooden and usually "lidless", according to these Schlitz "Brown Bottle" ads (complete with repros of numerous brewers "placards" which covered the bottles).
    [​IMG]

Heineken's own FAQ does suggest:

Crusader likes this.