Heineken to cut 8,000 jobs as pandemic hits brewer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,268) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.ft.com/content/7f060d32-f93c-4702-a0bc-9228ff2a3912

AlcahueteJ, BlameHouston and Shanex like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,852) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Okay, I'll say it -- 10% of their employees is scary.

I just heard that we can expect six-pack prices, here in the U.S., to go up by at least $1 per -- maybe more. Strange days indeed.

AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  3. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (436) Mar 5, 2014 New York

85,000 employee is a very large company. Would not have guessed that.

I'm guessing all large alcohol companies need to look at their profolio of products. There is just so many varieties. I think certainly more than needed in many cases. Complexity adds to manufacturing and other costs. Streamlining not only employee base but products down to what is most profitable is understandable if revenue falling

4. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (129) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

So I'm taking that statement to be in general, not just Heineken specific?

5. steveh

Society

Yes, in general. But I only heard it from some sources in this area, so who knows for sure?

And I forgot to add previously, yes -- the blame falls on the pandemic. Again.

Bitterbill and grantcty like this.
  6. steveh

Society

@Todd -- I'm presuming the BA team is monitoring the possibility of this sort of "business move" becoming its own pandemic, if sorts?

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. MrBeer82

MrBeer82 Initiate (44) Feb 21, 2018 Netherlands

Heineken still made over 1 bln net rev. COVID seems like to be the perfect excuse for the new ceo to cut jobs (20%) at the head office.

8. Todd

Todd Founder (6,268) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

We don't have access to this data, but I know that the Brewers Association gets state reports (and polls) from its members here in the US (not sure if it includes layoffs). That said, and based on what I've heard, pandemic-related layoffs in the beer industry over the last year were significant.

9. waltari

waltari Initiate (68) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Even if they have a 40% increase on their prices they will still be a better price/value than the majority of the hyped crap I see here.

Foyle and EmperorBatman like this.
  10. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,601) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hopefully this won't impact Lagunitas.

I'd also expect Heineken to have done well during pandemic based on the increase in store sales where they have ubiquitous distribution. Guess they have more on premise presence than I thought?

VABA likes this.
  11. steveh

Society

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear -- all beer prices were said to be going up. Even the hyped crap. :rolling_eyes:

12. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Savant (998) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii

Per capita Hawaii is the largest consumer of Heineken in the US so if this affects prices or supplies then this would be a good opportunity for another brewer to boost their sales here. There are a lot of big volume beers that I read about on this site that haven't made it here such as Yuengling so as they expand westward they should keep going until they get here. A lot of thirsty people out here.

Bitterbill and ChicagoJ like this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,676) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don’t buy their products, but it’s hard to envision superior growth with less employees. What he means is “ I need to please my major stockholders”. I get that, it’s his job to do so, even though it sucks, I’m sure he knows that.

14. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,996) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Why wouldn't it? Cuts like these oft-times are across the board within the company.

15. cid71

cid71 Initiate (106) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Operating profit margin was 12.3% for 2020 vs 16.8% for 2019. That's a big drop. Now its covid related no doubt but people still drank in 2020. Being publicly traded is a tough gig because investors just want to see "up" . Doesn't matter the circumstances. Of course the executives could go with smaller comoensation packages but thats heresy

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,676) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It’s a business, could be beer, could be anything, a commodity is just that, only looking at the upside on their money invested. A 4% drop on billions is a huge number.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,513) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Get another brewer. Just kidding.

Prep8611 likes this.
  18. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (431) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

It’s already happening. Two sizable breweries in Illinois have raised their prices in the last 2 months

steveh likes this.
  19. steveh

Society

You can name names -- you're among friends. And fellow budgeters.

20. BasWassenaar

BasWassenaar Initiate (60) May 2, 2017 Netherlands
    Trader

I think you underestimate their presence at big events, be it sports, concerts, dance events etc. that have been shut down all over Europe at least, if not world wide. Bars and restaurants being closed has a bigger impact than drinking at home can cover.
    Also, at least her in The Netherlands, the puchase prise for bars etc. of tap beer is higher per liter than bottles/cans in stores.

21. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,683) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I don't think many of us have really appreciated how much we've given up over the last 12 months. The proposed " return to normalcy " will never be what we had 24 months ago.
    It will be what up to each of us to build the culture we want going forward

22. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (318) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Well said. When people are ready to stop complying it will end and I’ll be waiting eagerly for that day.

23. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (431) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Half acre and Pollyanna both took a price increase

pudgym29 and steveh like this.
  24. steveh

Society

Jeeze. I always walked past both of those, most times, because of price.

25. beershrine

beershrine Aspirant (233) May 29, 2004 California

New CEO has to earn his money no doubt it is connected to performance. We have seen this over and over.