Heineken walked away from potential BrewDog deal due to "outrageous" valuation

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by gyorgymarlowe, Jun 21, 2022.

1. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe Aspirant (288) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Society Trader

Brewdog's CEO James Watt was involved in preliminary discussions about a potential sale of part of the firm to rivals Heineken, the BBC has learned.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-61864733

2. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,029) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'd walk away too given the recent situations

fegelFatso, Ranbot, snaotheus and 5 others like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,254) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I’d walk away laughing like a maniac.

dcotom, fegelFatso, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,439) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Heineken's a huge corporation that's been around for over a century and a half, don't they know when they're being played? Watt was only interested because someone told him there were some "cute chicks" working at Heineken's headquarter office in Amsterdam.

But ya gotta love a phrase like "open to being more pragmatic in our views on independence". Wonder if the next sell-out brewery owner will cop it?

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,537) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A new king of double-speak. Whaaaatt!?

6. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,336) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Maybe they can collab- blend some Brewdog stuff with some skunked Heineken and call it “Dutch Oven”.

7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,252) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That phrase struck me as strikingly arrogant and insincere at once. That the venerable old Dutch company saw straight through these guys is no mystery to me.

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,467) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Does Constellation Brands still have 'deep pockets' now? Maybe another $1+ Billion deal could be made!?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

fegelFatso, BigIronH and 2beerdogs like this.
  9. Providence

Providence Crusader (797) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

“Rival” Heineken? Since when are brew dog and Heineken rivals? I honestly don’t know the history. I see Heineken everywhere. For decades. I’ve heard of brew dog because they are a bunch of punk ass chumps with over priced beer. Not saying one is better or worse than the other, but how are these two rivals? Seems like apples and oranges. Someone set me straight.

10. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,901) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I wish I could, but I'll be damned if I get it myself.

Providence and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (8,043) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

But Brewdog's always been so fiercely independent! :rolling_eyes:

12. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,054) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,537) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm going to assume that the questionable use of 'rival' is the word choice of the reporter and not James Watt. Wouldn't he know better? :rolling_eyes:

JamFuel, Resistance88, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  14. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (666) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

So, Heineken didn't want any "Equity for Punks" ... Shocking, I tell you, just shocking. :rolling_eyes:

15. AlfromPA

AlfromPA Initiate (47) Dec 9, 2021 Pennsylvania

In the late aughts and early teens BrewDog produced and sold just about the only American-style IPA in the UK. I had some in 2012-13, and it was OK, decent but nothing amazing by American standards. It satisfied my limited IPA cravings when I got tired of London Pride and Old Speckled Hen. (The only other IPA I had was from the Kernel, much more expense but superb.) I think a lot of traditionalists in the UK really disliked their product, and the whole "punk" thing was a defensive move on BrewDog's part: if you're getting a lot of hate, strike back with punk pseudo-defiance. About the only marketing tactic that would work in that context, I guess. I'm sure there are lots of other American IPAs in the UK these days, so there's little need for that pose.

16. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Disciple (356) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'm assuming Brew Dog wants Heiney's distribution.
    I hardly ever see any Brew Dog in my area.
    Not that I would buy any of their beers as they are not my style. Tokyo was good though.
    I couldn't see any improvement coming from a merger.