Hello to IIPA in cans, goodbye to bombers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hendry, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendry

Hendry Champion (835) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

I'll still buy a bomber now and then, but with all the new and great choices offered in cans recently, I'm much happier with the serving size, plus the price point is so much more favorable.Lawson's Sip of Sunshine is one of the latest regional offerings, and is almost half the price in the new can format compared to the bombers.
    [​IMG]

2. almostjay

almostjay Initiate (0) May 24, 2008 Virginia

Want. Managed to snag a few bottles if this back in July and thought it was excellent.

PSU_Mike, Tbub18 and Hendry like this.
  3. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

At least for myself the thing I love about cans is that I feel like I can just grab one and start drinking. With a bottle for some reason I feel like I must pour it into a glass where as with a can it seems reasonable to drink it out of a can

4. DblDiamond

DblDiamond Aspirant (221) Jul 17, 2013 Arizona
    Trader

Oh how I wish they would distro to the west. Sigh.

Hendry likes this.
  5. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

This is a good trend......I hope it's a trend.

6. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Devotee (425) Dec 13, 2006 Illinois

I'm amazed Lawson's is leaving that much cash on the table - they have no problem selling all they make about as soon as they make it in the bombers. That said, I completely agree the pounder can is the ideal size, preferably in 4 packs. In the midwest Surly, Tallgrass, Brewery Vivant, Oskar Blues, and a few others are doing great things with this.

Bshaw22 and Hendry like this.
  7. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Me too, I would rather buy a four or six pack of beer than a bomber. Hopefully more breweries move towards four or six packs instead of bombers.

8. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

I ain't no Edgar Cayce, or Jeanne Dixon or even that French guy from way back when, but I predict that cans are the wave of the future. Lighter and more e-viroment friendly. You can always pour the beer into a nice glass if you don't like drinking from a can. The artwork seems cooler on a can, too. Course, I prefer Pils straight from the bottle, so this could conceivably create a quandary. I don't like the trend towards 4-pks, tho. God intended for us to drank a six-pack, and by Gawd, that's the way it should be. 4 pks make me feel like I'm buying 12 oz of peanut butter, when I should be getting 16.

cavedave, kuhndog and A2HB like this.
  9. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,606) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

I have enjoyed 3 great IPAs tonight from cans. Tropicalia, Westbrook IPA and Double Duckpin. I am so trendy it hurts...

10. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

I love the four pack of 16 ounce cans as long as the math is right. Obviously if the per ounce price is significantly more expensive than the 6 pack of 12 ounce cans then I am out.

Brolo75 likes this.
  11. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,365) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I stopped regularly drinking bombers of IPA's/DIPA's a little over a year ago. Just too expensive, and I couldn't justify the cost, especially considering the quality didn't usually live up to the cost. I still make some rare exceptions, like one of my absolute favorite beers is COAST Boy King thats only available (for now) in bombers, but for the most part IPA/DIPA's are 4 or 6 packs for me, and now cans. I've also found that Torpedo is better than 90%+ of the IPAs/DIPAs out there and often costs a fraction of the price, so I've cut back on my IPA/DIPA experimentation significantly.

I still do bombers for other styles like IS's, Barleywine's and Belgians, but thats mainly because a lot of the special releases I enjoy are only in that format and don't have comparable 4/6 pack alternative.

12. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (989) Jun 25, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

This probably deviates from Lawson's normal bottling because it is contract brewed in Connecticut.

That being said, I prefer double IPAs in cans do to portion, a general preference for cans, and general lower cost. The only real advantage I see to bombers is that a corked bomber keeps better, but that doesn't really apply to IPAs.

13. pep

pep Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2012 Pennsylvania

bombers are a waste of time to me. but Ill easily buy six pack of cans

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  14. Hendry

The competition from cans of Heady Topper,Fiddlehead 2nd Fiddle,and now 14th Star Tribute IIPA probably had something to do with the similar price point.

nc41, Brad007 and otispdriftwood like this.
  15. Mr_Abner

Mr_Abner Initiate (114) Aug 22, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

What is a 4-pack of Sip of Sunshine going for?

16. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

I've been reluctant to jump on the can bandwagon but if they help eliminate the ripoff bomber format, well then I'm on board

Hendry likes this.
  17. Hendry

I pay $13.99, with tax $15 out the door. I've heard it being sold in some stores in CT for $2 higher.

18. Mr_Abner

Mr_Abner Initiate (114) Aug 22, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Cool. Thanks, Hendry. Wanted to pick some up on a recent trip to VT, but didn't come across any...

19. zestd

zestd Disciple (369) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

This makes me sad for Fort George 3-Way IPA (Ft George/Boneyard/Block 15).

20. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2014 North Carolina

I actually PREFER my beer in a can. Majority of my friends who drink craft stick their noses up to cans, but I don't care.

My cans are classy. Haha

21. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

So, how easy is it to trade for cans of this beer? Seems like now is a good time to acquire some.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  22. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 Ohio

16oz cans ROCK. Bell's Two-Hearted just takes that brew to a new level. Bring it ON!

23. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Cans weigh less than bottled beer. Which in turn is cheaper for me to ship beer to others. I also like that Beer in a Can doesn't get Light Struck. So its a win-win situation for beer to be served in a can.

24. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Savant (976) May 10, 2014 Ohio

It seems I'm in the minority here, but beer packaged in cans will deter me from purchasing it.
    Ain't nothin' like good, old-fashioned glass!

25. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,860) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Carton 077XX, Neshaminy Creek the Shape of Hops to Come are two great examples of DIPAs in 16 oz. 4 packs. Keep em coming!

Plus DC Brau Wings of Armageddon and Sixpoint Resin in 12 oz. cans.

26. casapy

casapy Disciple (308) Sep 20, 2006 Idaho

I am finding more and more good beers in the can and prefer such a container for a variety of reasons, most have been mentioned. But, I still pour the beer into a glass and seldom drink right from the can.

27. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2014 North Carolina

I often pour into a glass too, especially if it's in a can. I love that the can protects it from light but I like to see what I'm drinking, or more so admire it.

28. TastyIsBeer

I don't know about the others, but Heady also has zero trouble selling out almost as soon as they deliver - a question might be why Heady continues to do cans instead of moving over to bombers, it almost certainly would do amazing things for their revenues.

29. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Cans stay fresher longer and it's become so recognizable, why would they go back to bombers?

Also, I swear by this stuff.
    [​IMG]

Truly a hidden gem here, as you can only get the cans in their variety packs.

30. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

I wish they would distribute 2 states over...

Doomcifer likes this.
  31. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

They own a canning line. Buying a bottling line would cost a lot and take up valuable fermentor space. If it was all about the cash they could easily up the price of their cans.

Hendry likes this.
  32. TastyIsBeer

Fair enough on the points given for why Heady stays in cans - the other thing I should have remembered is that Kimmich is more or less in love with cans. Works out well for those of us who have the ability to go to VT and work a little to get the beer, that's for sure.

33. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (4,720) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Evil Twin's new Molotov Lite in 16oz cans is a winner.. just sayin..

34. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Amazing what a little competition will do.

TongoRad likes this.
  35. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Biggest reason to pour canned beer into a glass. With a bottle, the cap protects the top of the bottle that touches your lips [unless you like to put the top of the bottle down your mouth so nothing leaks]. With a can, if you just pop the top and start drinking, your lips touch the outside of the [for the most part] unprotected top of the can and who knows where that can was before it got to your fridge. I'll take my chances with a glass every time.

ESHBG and dougfur like this.
  36. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,030) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'm surprised those Lawson's cans don't have the plastic protectors on them. Most breweries use them and Sixpoint keeps the cans in mini cardboard cases..

I am also opposed to "naked" cans

37. Respirologist

Respirologist Initiate (174) Feb 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

@JCTetreault what are you thoughts?

I'm not trying to be rude, asking an honest question.

Heady is $3.25-$3.75 for 500ml can if it came in 750ml it would be $5.00-$5.50 maybe a little more up to $6.00 because glass cost? Trillium is $10-$12 for 750ml IPA/DIPA. Why does it cost double ??

I'd love to start seeing your offerings in 16oz cans !

38. georgiaboy8686

georgiaboy8686 Aspirant (202) Feb 2, 2013 Maryland

Cans are like mini Kegs, much better for beer! Plus I feel more manly when I pull that tab. It's one of the reasons Oskar Blues is one of my favorite breweries... That and TenFidy, of course.

39. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

We are a long way from "goodbye to bombers" no matter how hard folks are wishing.

#39 surfcaster, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Snowdog likes this.
  40. rongcsc

rongcsc Initiate (174) Sep 15, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

Also love The Boy King and would like to see it in cans!

JISurfer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.